Sunday, January 04, 2015

Christmas Concert, 2014--Your blogger plays carols, hymns, and "NORAD Santa Sighting"

This Christmas concert nearly didn't happen, between 1) the frying of the mother board on my old PC (by three power surges in a row) and 2) the time required for our tech to transfer old data to my new hard drive and 3) a defective Lenovo CD/DVD drive.  But it's happened, and I'm glad!  I have to note that Lenovo was great about the bad drive--within a week of my calling them, a tech (a female tech, for once, and a cat lover!) showed up and replaced it.  And after having to navigate holiday traffic to get here.  (Gave her rave feedback, but did suggest that Lenovo try less hard to conceal its tech support numbers at its site.)  So, a nice word for Lenovo.

So, we have a January 4th concert (Happy Birthday, Jan!!).  All numbers feature me playing either solo or multi-tracked on my excellent Casio WK-3800.  I say "excellent," because the natural reaction to "Casio" is "Ha, ha!"  All performances are "live" (save for the occasional digital splice) except the two Lee originals--my arrangement of "Deck the Hall" and a piece I call "NORAD Santa Sighting."  Both were written and played via MIDI, the playback utilizing my Casio WK-3800's MIDI mixer, which mostly works, save for some aggravating glitches.

Tracks 1-10 were recorded in late 2014 (and very early 2015).  11-22 are recycles from last year's two Christmas concerts.  

So... here it is, my Christmas concert for 2014.  There's about 36 minutes of music here.  (Meanwhile, I'm going crazy trying to remember which one of my books Christ Is Born in Bethlehem came from.  Not helping my search is the fact that at least several hymns and carols go by that name.)

Click here to download zip file:  Christmas Concert 2014 


(Recorded this year)
1. In dulci jubilo (Arr. by Samuel Scheit)
2. Deck the Hall
3.  Fum, Fum, Fum
4.  Bring a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella
5.  The Christmas Tree (from The Casket, Asa Hull)
6.  Deck the Hall 2 (Arr. by Lee Hartsfeld)
7.  Thou Didst Leave Thy Throne (Matthews)
8.  Blessed Be That Maid Marie
9.  NORAD Santa Sighting (Lee Hartsfeld, 2014)
10.  Christians Awake, Salute the Happy Morn

(Recorded last year)
11.  Let the Earth Now Praise the Lord
12.  On the Night When Jesus Came
13.  Come Hither, Ye Children
14.  Christ Is Born in Bethlehem
15.  The Sleigh Ride (J.C. Johnson, Merry Chimes)
16.  O, Morning Star, How Fair and Bright (Nicolai, Arr. Bach)
17.  From Heaven Above (Luther)
18.  Christmas Time Is Come Again
19.  The Star of Bethlehem (Harmonia Sacra, 1860)
20.  Star in the East (Harmonia Sacra, 1860)
21.  Joy to the World (Atioch, Harmonia Sacra, 1860)
22.  Christmas Carol (R.M. Macinosh, 1876)

Lee Hartsfeld, Casio WK-3800.  All tracks "live" and multi-tracked, save for "live" solo tracks 4, 7, and 10, and MIDI-composed tracks 6 and 10.



Aging Child said...

This is good stuff, Lee - just the right mix of tradition, skill, and whimsy. Thank you for sharing it with us... cheers, and Happy New Year to all of you!

Warm Regards,
A. Gene Childe

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Thanks! A blithe New Year be thine, too! (I have that on a postcard someplace, though I couldn't find it last time I looked. It may have said "blythe." Joyous, as opposed to heedless!)

(Hm, why is Google making ME prove I'm not a robot? I run this blog!!)