Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Christmas 78s, Part 5--Al Goodman, Gilbert Girard, Arthur Pryor, Hayden Quartet!



Fifteen titles in today's sleighlist, but you actually get seventeen sides, since two of the files (Christmas Time in Merrie England and Gilbert Girard's Santa Claus sides) combine A and B sides.  Why did I combine the sides for some medleys and not for others?  Beats me!

I'm too busy ripping and restoring these things to plan logically.  Getting these things labeled and numbered is enough work in itself, owing to the weird sorting feature of my free mp3 converter.  Technology helps and victimizes us at the same time.  (Yes, you may quote me.)

The great-sounding Al Goodman side (Christmas Fantasy) was ripped from my near-pristine copy, and, because it's from 1949 or 1950, my pre-amp's 78 curve made it sound tinny and lousy.  "Why not switch to the LP curve?" I thought.  I did, and it sounds great.  I think, anyway.  A light concert classic.

Memories of Christmas is also from a looks-new 78, and you don't get many of those from 1918.  A very charming medley--straightforward and unpretentious.  I find equivalent modern pop/pops numbers a bit overstated, at minimum, and I think this is because, in our post-rock era, people feel the need to be entertained LOUDLY.  The Boomer label is kind of ironic, giving my generation's love for BOOM BOOM BOOM.  In the distant popular past, one could mark time gently and without an incessant accent on 2 and 4.  How quaint, no?

Massenet's Angelus is a gorgeous concert piece from, um... well, sometime.  A quick search didn't give me the year.  My guess is late 1800s.  The 1925 fidelity on this Victor-recorded pipe organ solo (always wanted to type that) is absolutely unreal.  As in, superb.

The sound effects on Gilbert Girard's Santa Claus sides are marvelous--in a few spots, the audio presence is uncanny.  (Keep in mind they were recorded with a large horn.)  Listening to this track in my car, I could swear the effects were happening in stereo.  This kind of thing happens when your ears are 58 years old....

Enjoy!  And always remember that Christmas, the biggest festival on our planet, is just another December holiday.  It's easier that way.  That way, no one accuses you of being a benighted culture warrior.  ("Oh, yeah, Christmas.  I think that's... in December?  Maybe? Dunno.")


Click here to hear: Christmas 78s, 2015--Part 5

SLEIGHLIST


Christmas Fantasy, Part 1 (Arr: Goodman)--Al Goodman and His Orch., 1949 or 1950
Christmas Fantasy, Part 2 (Arr: Goodman)--Al Goodman and His Orch., 1949 or 1950
Memories of Christmas, Part 1--The Village Church (R.H. Bowers)--Prince's Orch., 1918
Memories of Christmas, Part 2--The Tree at Grandmother's--Prince's Orch., 1918
Christmas Time in Merrie England--Regimental Band of H.M. Grenadier Guards, 1922
Angelus (Massenet)--Charles O'Connell, Pipe Organ, 1925
Christmas Chimes (Vandersloot)--Salon Orch., 1932
Cathedral Chimes (Arnold-Brown)--Salon Orch., 1932
O Come, All Ye Faithful--Temple Quartet, 1925?
Yule-Tide--A Christmas Fantasia--Arthur Pryor's Band, 1912
Christmas Carols--Collegiate Choir, 1924
Silent Night, Hallowed Night--Hayden Quartet, 1908
Santa Claus Tells About His Toy Shop--Santa Claus Gives Away His Toys--Gilbert Gerard, 1921
The New Born King (L'Espoir)--Hamilton Hill, 1909
The Sabbath Morn (The Holy City, with Chimes)--Harry Macdonough, Tenor, 1909


Lee

1 comment:

John said...

Wow! Keep them coming Lee! Thank you!