Sunday, December 11, 2016

The Massed Miners Choirs Sing the Carols (1961)




I could have sworn I fixed the glitch in that album scan (lower left-hand section), but looks like I didn't.  The lower right-hand corner curled up during the its scan is what happened.  An exacting art, this scan-and-stitch stuff.  I remember some of my first efforts in which I got the scanning order wrong, and everything joined together like a Picasso put through a blender.

But the scanning glitch shouldn't affect the sound, which is in mono and from 1961.  I bought this album for its novel title, not knowing what to expect.  What I got were twelve gorgeous performances by (to quote the liner notes) "Miners' choirs which are representative of the Yorkshire coalfield."  Yorkshire, of course, is a huge county in Northern England (the biggest in the UK, says Wikipedia), and its miners sure can sing.  This is male choral singing as it was meant to sound, from the part of the world that does it best.  By the way, the oldest group on the LP--the Sharlston Male Voice Choir--dates back to 1910.

Any carol LP which includes Ding Dong!  Merrily on High (even if it misspells "Merrily") is worth the whole price, I always say.  Or I just did, anyway.

Click here to download:   Massed Minters Chorus

Hark The Harold Angels Sing
Once in Royal David's City
Fanfare (Gloria in Excelsis Deo)
God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen
It Came Upon the Midnight Clear
Silent Night, Holy Night
The First Nowell
I Saw Three Ships
Good King Wenceslas
O Come, All Ye Faithful
Ding Dong!  Merilly (sic) on High
Coventry Carol

The Massed Miners Choirs, conducted by Rae Jenkins; Organist: E. Taylor.

Fontana TFL 5154, 1961.


Lee


No comments: