Sunday, November 11, 2018

Paul Whiteman, Part Five!--1920-1934




My own Paul Whiteman sketch, from around 1981.  The lettering is new, of course.  And this is Part 5 of my Paul Whiteman series, which means three more are on their way.  Yup, three.  Part 8 will focus on Whiteman-related solo sides, with numbers by Ramona, Roy Bargy, Chester Hazlett, and the jazzy Whiteman orchestra subgroup, The Virginians (the first of its kind, claims AllMusic).  So... stay tuned.  And enjoy today's mix, covering the years 1920 to 1934, during which the Whiteman sound changed considerably, of course.  Incredibly might be the better word.

And my VinylStudio program remains the most amazing software taking up space on my PC, next to my MAGIX editing program--it is responsible, as I've been noting every post, for keeping the response curves honest.  The eq'ing and track splicing remain the duties of MAGIX.  Put it all together and you have very, very old sounds, but not sounding old in the traditional sense of old, when it comes to audio.  The established meaning of "old" in audio is lousy, but I've tried to get these 78s sounding as un-lousy (and, therefore, nontraditional) as possible, with Chicago presenting the most demanding restoration feat, given its "beater" condition.  (Record collector term.)  But it's not an easy one to find, at least in my price range, so I went all-out, and it sounds pretty not bad.  It's an essential PW side, as it features none other than Ferde Grofe on a terrific piano solo.

Enjoy!


DOWNLOAD: Paul Whiteman, Part 5! !920-1934


Anytime, Anyday, Anywhere--1920
Magnolia--v: Bing Crosby, Al Rinker, Harris Barris, 1927
Humming--1920
Steppin' Out--1923
Underneath Hawaiian Skies--Medley--1921
So This is Venice!--v: Ed Smalle, 1924
Villa (Lehar)--1931
Way Down Yonder in New Orleans--1923
Star Dust--v. John Hauser and the King's Men, 1934
In a Little Spanish Town--v: Jack Fulton, 1926 (A: Grofe)
Grieving for You--Feather Your Nest--1920
Where Is My Sweetie Hiding?--1924
Whispering (A: Grofe)--1920
There's Yes! Yes! In Your Eyes (A: Grofe)--1924
You Forgot to Remember--Waltz (Berlin)--v: Elliott Shaw, 1925
Cheerie Beerie Bee--Waltz--v: Auston Young, 1927 (A: Grofe)
Do You Ever Think of Me?--1921
It's Up to You (J'en ai Marre!)--1922
Caresses-Medley--1920
Chicago--1922




Lee

6 comments:

Buster said...

Thanks again - you rip 'em faster than I can listen to 'em.

RiCK SAUNDERS said...

Thank you for this series of Whiteman recordings, Lee! I really appreciate that you're posting them in more easily consumable bits. I downloaded what was available @archive several months ago but it took forever to get thru, and yours sound better as well. Thanks again!

Jim said...

Great music and great transfers as always.

I really DO wish you could find another download medium, however.
Those hijack programs are a positive menace. I'm fortunate in that I am beneficiary of an active, live-monitored security system that shuts them down every time their Trojan pops up.

But if I didn't it would take a LOT of tech savvy to shut them down and delete their viruses.

David Federman said...

I was just listening to Whiteman's recording of "Let's Put Out the Lights and Go to Sleep." Do I owe this pleasure to you? Or is your 'master' yet to come? In any case, your crusade on behalf of Paul is an outstanding project. Thank you. I just hope you're only half way to the moon as far as nearing completion goes.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Hi, Jim.

I haven't had any Trojans from Zippy (far as I know!), but I believe you, and at the very least the place is a royal pain. I'm checking into an alternate hosting site. Sorry about the hassle.

David--

No, that was someone else's work. I don't even have that one, though I hope it finds its way into my Whiteman rows at some point. (I hate to say "stacks," since stacking 78s is as wrong as record storage gets.) Thanks for the nice words. Three more posts to go, and maybe another one after that. I'll be including PW's "satellite" band, The Virginians. I thought I had more sides by that group, but to my surprise I do not--only 11, including the Virginians as accompanists to Victor vocalists.

Eric said...

Thank you for the music.