Tuesday, December 03, 2019

The Crystal Studio Choir--Chorales for Christmas






My scanner is talking to me.  It's trying to send me a message.  "Time for a new scanner!" it's saying.  (See first scan.)  Dunno what happened with that first image and the color mismatch.  Oh, well--this Epson is at least ten years old.  But it's performed so beautifully and reliably, I don't have the heart to replace it.  I suspect that, on that first stitch job, I let too much outside light in or something.  ("Buy a new scanner!!")  Who said that?

If you've already had your fill of Christmas standards, if you find yourself thinking, "If those gentlemen haven't rested merry by now, singing to them is a waste of time," then at least skip up to the terrific version of Sleigh Ride.  You'll be glad you did.  I have no idea who the Crystal Studio Choir is, and I'm sure the Audition label (which was related to Grand Award and Waldorf) just made them up.  But I'll Google them to be sure.  (Checking....)  Yeah, they were made up.

Either that, or they were the official choir of the Crystal Studio.  Over at the North Pole.  I'm just guessing at this point.

Beautifully recorded, very professionally arranged and performed, and there's even one instance of punctuation in the title list (God Rest Ye MerryGentlemen), so we know this was an Enoch Light cheapie.  His stuff almost transcended the cheapie category--almost.  (Wow--69 cents at 5 Cousins Inc. Clothing & Shoes.)  And someone almost took care of this record, but they forgot to keep it in its jacket, looks like.  But I was able to repair 99 percent of the audio damage.  To the corrals--er, I mean, chorales.  (I was thinking Sleigh Ride, there.)




DOWNLOAD: Chorales for Christmas





Silent Night
Oh Come All Ye Faithful
God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
It Came Upon the Midnight Clear
Away in a Manger
Good King Wenceslas
Oh Holy Night
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
White Christmas (Irving Berlin)
Oh Little Town of Bethlehem
Angels We Have Heard on High
Sleigh Ride (Leroy Anderson--Mitchell Parish)


Chorales for Christmas--The Crystal Studio Choir (Audition 33-5946)



Lee

No comments: