Monday, August 03, 2020

Waldorf in transition: America's Favorite Music, or Top Hit Tunes (1959)



Both Sides Now notes that Waldorf Music Hall records were sold exclusively in Woolworth stores, which is fairly common knowledge among us cheapo-label lovers.  However, Waldorf Music Hall (or Music-Hall) was only one of many Enoch Light labels, so I've often wondered if Enoch's 18 Top Hits label (the three-fer packages of six-selection EPs) may have been a mail-order deal.  Their format would suggest as much.  However, until I come across a vintage advertisement to support my suspicion, it'll have to remain a guess.

Am-Par Records, which became ABC-Paramount in 1961, purchased Enoch's labels (including Waldorf M.H.) in October 1959, reports BSN, "although the label had probably stopped issuing albums prior to the purchase," it adds.  Well, today's 12-inch Waldorf LP is from January, 1959, so we know Waldorf was still pressing vinyl at least that close to the acquisition date.  But something odd was going on, as this release features nothing on the jacket except what you see above--a cover photo and the title America's Favorite Music.  No company info, no artist listings.  Back cover--blank.  It's as if Waldorf was ceasing to care.  A pretty reasonable assumption, given that it was willing to release an LP sure to have many buyers asking "What the heck is this?  Dance instruction?"  Me, I knew from the stock Waldorf photo, and from my previous America's Favorite Music experiences.

The label sports the "Top Hit Tunes" slogan that had replaced Waldorf's "18 Top Hits" starting about 1957.  Here's Side A, with the catalog number, 33-JAN-59, which strongly suggests that this is a 33 rpm disc released in--oh, let's say--January, 1959.




There are very few familiar Waldorf names here--Dottie Evans, Enoch Light, Loren Becker (only one track!), and Hollis Harbison are the only four that register with me.  The rest are either newcomers, or... possibly, folks working for some other outfit.  Waldorf may have been outsourcing at this time.  You may or may not remember my posting of the 1961 Pickwick release, HurrahTop Hits, which follows this same strange format--i.e., eighteen fake hits plus six totally unrelated tracks.  Here's that post: Hurrah! Top Hits.  The 1961 Pickwick (Hurrah!) collection was concurrently released as America's Favorite Music, with a stock Waldorf image on the jacket: AFM.  So there must have been some kind of Pickwick/Am-Par relationship happening in 1961, which raises the possibility Pickwick was conspiring with Waldorf even earlier--namely, during Waldorf's up-for-sale period.  Such weirdness would be about par for the irrational cheap label course.

To me, these tracks do not have that smooth, professional Enoch Light sound--the quality just isn't there.  These could just as easily be from Promenade (Synthetic Plastics Co.), a company whose approach was pretty much two-takes-and-hope-for-the-best.  And the awful orchestra on The World Outside would never have been allowed on any Light production prior to this--even the fake RCA (Record Corporation of America) might have hesitated to release it.  And then put it out, anyway.  After all, the fake RCA is the home of a terrible fake of Autumn Leaves, which closes with the out of key orchestra botching the tonic chord.  As for The World Outside, the "Songsters" are pretty good in their imitation of The Four Coins, which makes the two-cent musical backing regrettable.  I didn't realize, until hearing this fake, that the song is based on the main(?) theme of Warsaw Concerto.  How I could have missed that previously, I do not know.

And if you've been dying to have the great themes of America's greatest bands, you're in luck.  And those tracks are very well done, and if I had the time, I could probably track down the original issue--they're likely cribbed from an EP set or earlier 10" or whatever.  Anyway, this is Waldorf in transition.  For all we know, it's not even Waldorf.  This could be a pod-people Waldorf that temporarily seized Enoch's labels until Am-Par came in and chased out the pods.  Then again, astrologer Light should have been able to anticipate any such shenanigans.

It's kind of cool to have a Waldorf-in-transition offering to share. And I'm probably the first person to ever use that phrase for a music post.  History is being made here.

I'm listing the titles as they appear on the label.  Where apostrophes are missing--oh, well.  And be sure to notice how utterly different "Joe Perkins" sounds between One Night and Smoke Gets in Your Eyes.  I think Joe may have come from the Made-up Names Department at Cheap Label Supplies, Inc.  Such a strange album format, since it meant cramming 24 tracks onto one LP, which often required editing down at least some of the fake hits.  An LP could easily have accommodated the 18 fakes in full form, so why the extra six tracks?  Especially since the jacket contains zero reference to them--No "Six Bonus Tracks!"  But these labels obviously didn't spend much time reflecting on their own actions.  At this point, Waldorf--or whoever's behind this--had probably forgotten why the bonus-track tradition existed in the first place.  They were just filling in the template with track titles.

Worker #1: "Why are we adding these big band themes?"  Worker #2: "Funny--I was going to ask you."





DOWNLOAD:  America's Favorite Music (Waldorf 33-JAN-59)




America's Favorite Music/Top Hit Tunes (Waldorf 33-JAN-59)


Problems--Burt and Bob

Whole Lotta Loving--Hollis Harbison
One Night--Joe Perkins
I Enjoy Being a Girl--Dottie Evans
A Lovers Question--Hollis Harbison
Smoke Gets in Your Eyes--Joe Perkins
Chiquita Cha Cha--Enoch Light and the Light Brigade
You Are Beautiful--Loren Becker
Old Black Magic--Dick King and Betty Golden
Bimbombey--George Clark
The World Outside--The Songsters
Beep Beep--The Victors
Goodbye Baby, Goodbye--Jimmy Lee
Lonely Teardrops--William Patton
Donna--Lloyd Jones
Gotta Travel On--Sonny Scott
The Diary--Lloyd Jones
Come Prima--Mario Morghesi

The Great Themes of America's Greatest Bands--Booby Bryne Cond. the All Star Orch.


Smoke Rings--Theme, Glen Gray and His Casaloma (sic) Orch.

Auld Lang Syne--Theme, Guy Lombardo
Cherokee--Theme, Charlie Barnet
Ciriciribin--Theme, Harry James
Nightmare--Theme, Artie Shaw
Take the "A" Train--Theme, Duke Ellington


Lee


17 comments:

Ernie said...

This stuff gives me a headache just reading it.

If you mentioned it and I missed it, I apologize, but do the titles appears on the sleeve? I'm wondering if maybe that's not the right record for the sleeve? Or maybe because they were in the process of being sold, they just slapped a jacket together at the last second without the 'Six Extra Tracks' or other hype? Why spend money when someone else is about to take over the books?

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Nope, no titles on the sleeve. And I own two other examples of 24-track Waldorf fake-hits LPs that have generic covers with no titles and a blank back cover, so I'm sure this is legit. One is titled (on the jacket) "Top Hits Club of America, Inc." and the other is called "18 Top Hits." Both have 24 tracks. Such inattention to detail would make sense if (as I suspect) these LPs were mail-order items, but I've yet to find period ads to substantiate my guess. At any rate, the earliest LP of this type that I own (24 tracks, ultra-generic jacket) is from 1956, so Waldorf was doing this weirdness at least three years before it folded. Very mystifying.

Buster said...

Like you, I suspect mail-order. They didn't need to put much on the sleeve because it served no point-of-sale purpose.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Buster,

Exactly. Also, that "Top Hits Club of America" title, which suggests a (probably short-lived) attempt on Waldorf's part to go the Gilmar label route.

Ernie,

I wanted to add that this all gives me a headache, too (I assume you weren't criticizing my writing--(-:), because it's so frustrating. I want to get accurate and halfway complete info out on these things, and the fossil record (no pun intended) is about as nonlinear as anything can possibly be. For instance, Enoch Light's association with Prom started in late 1951, according to a Billboard piece, but he may have been involved prior to that. And why were his Prom sides brought out on his Waldorf label, which allegedly originated about 1954? If Prom and Waldorf were releasing Enoch Light sides concurrently, then we have the possibility that Waldorf (as Waldorf Record Corp.) actually started as a Synthetic Plastics Co. sublabel, which is certainly possible. With Light deciding to take it with him when he left SPC. I'm dealing with a bunch of possibilities and little hard evidence... But I think I'm doing some service to the history of the cheap labels by revealing just how insanely complicated things were. We would expect the cheapos to have a simple, straightforward plan of action. Not remotely.

Monkey D. Sound said...

Thanks for again another another covers lp! Fan of a lovers question, goodbye baby bye bye and ofc this nice "Nightmare" cover on this one, yet another version from you to add to my collection!
I wish you the best

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Monkey D. Sound,

Same to you! Glad you enjoyed! Happy to provide a new version of "Nightmare."

Gilmarvinyl said...

Very interesting. I definitely think Pickwick had something to do with this album, as you posted an example of Pickwick subsidiary label who did the whole 24 tracks with 6 of them being completely random. These a really neat. Did I mention that now I had to create another playlist on my Google music account of fake hits because I reached the songs per playlist limit of 1000? I do the dishes to these fake hits, I am a hopeless addict. Keep up the good detective work and the posts we all appreciate. You definitely one of my favorite bloggers on the internet.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Gilmarvinyl,

Thanks for your kind words! Yes, you did mention that. Very flattered that you've been keeping the fruits of my fake-hits labor. Labors. Something like that!

KL from NYC said...

Thank you for this one and the Hurrah LP. The cover versions are surprisingly pretty good.

KL from NYC said...

BTW, I've always enjoyed reading your commentary -- and your research (especially with the "Rock Around The Clock" series).

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Thanks! I always worry about going on too long. Glad to hear. I enjoyed these covers, too, though I didn't want to praise them too highly, in case someone came on and reported that they sucked. I try to make a middling assessment. I'm too much of a diplomat, maybe. Anyway, these really capture the rock and roll sound of the era, and of course Waldorf r&r covers initially sounded more like, say, Hal Kemp than r&r. Right about 1957/58, that changed.

Thanks for the RATC compliment. That's the result of years of listening and comparing. When you have a song which deviates that significantly from its copyrighted sheet music version, you've got a fun and complicated story. I was going to do my own recording from the original sheet music, but those chords are actually murder to play. The thing isn't complicated, but it's not remotely pianistic as written.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Lee for posting this. I get your thinking that this might be a mail-order Lp. Maybe a giveaway or similar. Looking at the BSNP webpage for WMH, I know they put out 8 Hits... series at the beginning. Then moved onto full artist LPs and such later on. I was just wondering if these later 18/24 track LPs were something like sampler LP's. The Dottie Evans and Loran Becker songs come from the "Flower Drum Song" LP. I would love to have this LP as it is my favorite R and H musical. I only have an mp3 version of the "Around the World in 80 Days" LP, but Enoch Light made a series of Film Themes and Soundtrack LPs. Those would be wonderful to have. So glad to have another Enoch Light in my collection whether he had a big or small hand in its production. Bryan

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Hi, Bryan. Very interesting speculation. And thanks for identifying the Evans and Becker numbers--that explains how those two ended up on a generic-artists effort. An effort which was almost definitely outsourced. What we have to figure out is whether Waldorf, with two or three years to go, went from producing fairly professional releases to this kind of wonky stuff. Out of a "Who cares?" attitude. I'm not remotely surprised at Pickwick not bothering to change the 18-plus-6 tracks format, even as late as 1961, because Pickwick was highly averse to putting effort into its releases. And I have at least two Waldorf M.H. film theme LPs, including one on the Audition sublabel, and I should put them up when I have the chance. One is 10", the other 12". I believe the 10-incher has a photo from "Friendly Persuasion," which I always misremember as having starred Pat Boone, since he had the hit with the theme song.

rosbeliobones9223@gmail,com said...

maravilha DE BLOG, MUITO OBRIGADO !!!

Bob Johnson said...

Ive got the same record and cover so I would figure they were meabt to be together.

Bob Johnson said...

Hi Lee. I have a similar record. The picture is a mirror image of this one. Same title. Lable says 33-may-59. Similar in that side 1 has 12 cover tunes and side 2 has some Enoch stuff and some peter Rodd stuff. Great stuff. Do these records have any value. Cant find them on disogs.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Hi, Bob.

I don't personally think of these records as having much $$ value, but right now vinyl prices on eBay are ridiculously high--you may see LPs like this going for $30. I don't know what's behind this trend.