Thursday, December 10, 2020

Christmas Songs (In Japanese)

 


UPDATE (1-14-21): Running the label images through Microsoft's Translator app, I discovered that this is not a Chinese LP, as I'd originally thought, but a Japanese issue.  I've posted the translated label scans below.

I previously featured this in 2017--in a Zippyfile upload that long ago expired.  This is a much more careful rip, and I think it's a fun listen, even if the selections are the usual holiday standards.  The ultra-standards, you might say.  If nothing else, it's fascinating to hear Chinese Japanese singers performing these numbers in such a Western style--some of the singers sound Western, in fact, though I'm sure they're not.  You have to wonder precisely what market this was aimed at.  

A couple of the titles are off in a strange and amusing way--Glory for A Child Is Born (Joy to the World), and Christmas Card (It Came Upon the Midnight Clear).  I wonder how that became Christmas Card?  Something to ponder late at night.  The best of the bunch is Jingle Bells, but that's just about my favorite Christmas song of all, so naturally I'd pick that one.  There's interesting instrumentation at times (with a Baroque edge), and Glory For a Child Is Born has a cool piped-in recording of church bells to open and close the number.  And the cover really appeals to me.  Simple but effective.  Love the giant candle, the array of stars, and the tiny shepherds and... their sheep?  Kind of abstract, the longer one looks at it.  An A for effort.



DOWNLOAD: Christmas Songs (In Japanese) (Tower TWK-6)






Jingle Bells
Holy Night
Hark!  The Herald Angels Sing!
Glory for a Child Is Born
The First Noel
O Come, All Ye Faithful
Christmas Card
Christmas Tree


Star Star Chorus

University of Tokyo, NiFuhoku



Christmas Songs (Tower TWK-6; 10" LP)


Lee

20 comments:

Ernie said...

Too funny! I would buy this in a heartbeat!

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Never overly interested in foreign language songs even if they are "covers" of well known songs (except French = being bilingual). That being said, while growing up my parents had a Christmas album sung in Inuit! It was done by a Canadian native Eskimo. It was "tradition" to play that & about 1/2 doz. Christmas albums EVERY year. Still have the albums & sister digitalized them for everyone. Nice "surprise" gift.

Cheers!
Ciao! For now.
rntcj

Anonymous said...

Great album, and finally something that is not in fucking English language. Any German or African albums available?

Lee Hartsfeld said...

I have a German LP I hope to get ripped in time, and Christmas carols sung in Japanese, from last year: https://musicyouwont.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-singing-angels-go-to-japan.html

Thanks for reminding me of the German LP--it's sitting in my rows, waiting to be digitized.

Diane said...

Shared on my FB page -- this deserves more listens!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Thank you! I'd say it in Chinese, but...

A man for whom Christ died said...

Lee,
Speaking of foreign-language Christmas songs, remember Tu scendi dalle stelle (I believe I wrote that right LOL, in Italian)? Need to get ready for church, so going for now, love and prayin' for ya!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Callcast: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

Ernie said...

RNTCJ-Is that Inuit album available anywhere? Never heard of such and would love to give it a spin!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

RNTC-J,

Forgot to reply to your comment. I agree with Ernie--that sounds amazing!

Josh,

Thanks for reminding me. I was going to re-up that one. I should go ahead and do that now. My county still being in the red COVID zone, church has been suspended. I'm really missing it!

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Found it for listening! Ah! The memories! Listening to it now. An AMAZING place = Museum Of Canadian Music (citizenfreak) site here:

http://citizenfreak.com/titles/294935-panigoniak-charlie-inuktitut-christmas-gospel-songs

C.B.C. = (National) Canadian Broadcast Company. "Upbeat" songs a bit more enjoyable & "Jingle Bells" was our favourite. Believe Charlie passed away earlier this year. Relatively "safe(r)" up here above the 49th. Stay safe.

Cheers!
Ciao! For now.
rntcj

Lee Hartsfeld said...

mtcj,

Many thanks! I'm sampling the first track right now--it's terrific. Can't wait to give this a full and close listen.

Ernie said...

Sweet, thanks!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi!

You're both welcome. Enjoy!

Cheers!
Ciao! For now.
rntcj

Rev. bIGhIG said...

Thought this would be cutesy, but it's actually pretty classy.
Love it. Thanks.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Rev. bIGhIG,

Sure! I like this one, too--the singers are very skilled and enthusiastic.

assassing said...

This is a Chinese album from TW....
The label called "電塔唱片" see below link:
https://www.discogs.com/label/740256-%E9%9B%BB%E5%A1%94%E5%94%B1%E7%89%87

Lee Hartsfeld said...

assassing,

Thank you!

DoKtor Alphonzo said...

hello - is it possible to renew the link?

thank you

Lee Hartsfeld said...

DoKtor Alphonzo,

The link is back up and working now. I don't know what happened--sometimes my hosting site loses (or else deletes) files without my knowing. Sorry about that.

DoKtor Alphonzo said...

yes, indeed it is :-) thank you very much

Happīkurisumasu