Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Stardust Melodies: Raymond Paige and His Orchestra, Raymond Paige's Young Americans, 1940-41 (RCA Camden CAL-153)



Sorry for my longer-than-planned absence.  Today's offering is from the mood-music/easy-listening radio heyday, though these are reissued 78s, not airchecks.  This appears to be the second edition of this reissue, and I have a dim memory of once owning the earlier Camden LP.  As ever, I love the "How This Record Value is Possible" bit on the RCA Camden back jacket: It amounts to, "We're doing you a favor by offering back catalog material."  No, we're doing RCA a favor by keeping its back catalog profitable.  Then again, "Here's some older stuff, priced down because charging a current tab would be unethical" wouldn't have the same ring.

For once, LP-wise, I did a good deal of equalizing, dynamic adjustment, and even added very slight reverb, just to pump more life into the sound.  It seemed a bit too "flat."  Normally, I would have pushed up the treble slightly and let things be, but I felt these transfers needed more punch.  My plan was to retain the main file, in case I didn't like the changes--but I blew that.  I should have used the "save as..." option for the original file and not the extra-doctored "project."  Live and learn.  I had the right idea, only in reverse.

These tracks, recorded in 1940 and 1941, originally appeared on two 78 sets by Raymond Paige and His Orchestra and Raymond Paige's Young Americans (falsely credited here as "American Youth Orchestra").  These images come courtesy of eBay:



No idea if "Young Americans" refers to a youth orchestra or if Paige simply used it for a catchy handle.  However, going for youth association while performing older songs: That's kind of odd.  But no one asked me.  (I was nowhere to be found in 1941.)

Because Paige was an RCA artist, his performances, while Kostelanetz-esque (how's that for an adjective?), lack the lovely spacious, distant-miked sound that graced Kosty and Morton Gould's Columbia recordings from the same period.  And the arrangements, while perfectly good, aren't quite up to Kosty's or Gould's.  On the other hand, all examples from the first wave of mood/easy-listening have historical significance, even if nowadays it's hard to picture folks relaxing to soothing music from 12-inch 78s as they plopped, one after the other, onto the turntable platter.  (These sets were typically designed for changers.)  Then again, a good phonograph would have produced better fidelity than a radio set, despite the lesser ease of use.

And, checking just now, I didn't enter "Endearing Young Charms" as "Enduring Young Charms."  Whew!  I often think one thing and type another.

To the radio-era easy-listening sounds of Raymond Paige...


DOWNLOAD: Stardust Melodies: Raymond Paige Orch. and Young Americans, 1940-51


Rhapsody in Blue

When Day Is Done--La Cumparsita

Mood Indigo

Donkey Serenade (Chansonette)

Night and Day

Let Me Call You Sweetheart

Star Dust

Andalucia

My Moonlight Madonna

Believe Me, If All These Endearing Young Charms--A Pretty Girl Is Like a Melody

Thru' the South (Swing Low, Sweet Chariot; Turkey in the Straw; Deep River)

By the Bend of the River



Lee




9 comments:

Ernie said...

Welcome back, Lee! Camden was an odd mix of catalog material and new stuff. I feel bad for the artists who's new material got issued on a budget label. I kinda doubt they got paid the same as recordings for the parent label, but I don't know really. Still sad.

musicman1979 said...

It only took a few months, yet you FINALLY got around to posting this record after you mentioned it on Brand "X" Records. And you have the late-'50's Camden pressing with the second label; the one I saw on E-Bay a while back had the pink label with different cover art. Will get around to listening this gem when I have the time. Thanks for sharing. Great post!

musicman1979 said...

There also was a Young Americans singing group in the mid-1960's. Vicki Lawrence got her start singing with this group before she became a regular on The Carol Burnett Show:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134981122406?itmmeta=01HSHPG21X0PT7F6B0KRBR5SV4&hash=item1f6d807966:g:xp0AAOSwOull6Mb8&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4GFTJCXaIIiQKgUywxL%2BT5JgAXSpKzZaGIJHNOnz2ghVTUkJd1ecJEhkPr155%2BvqlJjSGiuMqYUpH%2BlTnEPFRO08l993dWzF4xvkW%2F0NURfBWGyForYVB1nCrnYV4W8Ig%2

Lee Hartsfeld said...

musicman1979,

I thought "Young Americans" sounded familiar!

Ernie,

My guess is the same: Anything newly released on the Camden label would have paid less. So we'd logically guess, at least. And there's nothing I hate more than encountering an "electronically reprocessed" stereo LP in that line.

Ernie said...

I think that other Young Americans group was somehow linked to Johnny Mathis. He was in the cover photo on what I think was their first LP. May have just been a sales gimmick though.

coppinsuk said...

Many thanks for your generous comments and the recording.

Cheers.

gimpiero said...

Sorry but pixeldrain.com is not available in Italy ...

Lee Hartsfeld said...

gimpiero,

Sorry about that! I uploaded it to Box.com for you:

https://app.box.com/s/vhh9csvyriu7194ahs2kyxz15dczn474

Enjoy!

gimpiero said...

Perfect! Thank you very much