Friday, April 21, 2017

Society Favorites that are our favorites (Royale VLP 6042)






More adventures in cheap vinyl.  Today, the Royale label is making another appearance--Royale, you'll recall, belonged to Elliott Everett "Eli" Oberstein, whose labels were probably the cheapest of the cheap, though I hesitate to make a claim that cheap--I mean, that large.  As is not infrequently the case, the music here is quite decent--much better than the second-rate vinyl it was pressed on.  Best of the bunch are the marvelous pre-RCA and Columbia Percy Faith sides, which date from (I believe) 1946.

Vintage easy listening which can't be beat--that is, unless it was more competently mastered, and on better vinyl, but that's why you have me--to restore this stuff.  This ten-inch LP dates from... who knows when?  It has a copyright date of 1952, but I wouldn't trust that.

Society Favorites (That Are Our Favorites).  For the socialites and non-socialites among us.

Click here to hear:  Society Favorites

Body and Soul--Stevens Orchestra
Sweet and Lovely--Nat Brandwynne and Orchestra
Dancing in the Dark--Percy Faith and Orchestra
You and the Night and the Music--The Twilight Three
I Cover the Waterfront--Stevens Orchestra
I Guess I'll Have to Change My Plans--Chauncey Gray and Orchestra
That Old Black Magic--Percy Faith and Orchestra
The Continental--Jerry Wald and Orchestra

Society Favorites (That Are Our Favorites)--Royale VLP 6042 (10")

Lee

6 comments:

Buster said...

The Stevens Orchestra and the Twilight Three are new to me. I assume the latter group is something like the Three Suns. I suppose it makes sense to listen and find out, which I will now do . . .

garrido said...

You are hardly being compensated for the fabulous retrievals. Never quit!

der bajazzo said...

My short list of song titles that are consistently written incorrectly:

I Guess I’ll Have To Change My Plan (usually seen as “Plans")
Three Coins In The Fountain (usually seen as “A Fountain")
Never On Sunday (usually found as Never On A Sunday)
In The Blue Of Evening (usually seen as “The Evening").

Anyone with a knowledge of the song lyrics will cringe whenever they see any of these…

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Whew. Good thing I didn't screw it up....

Unknown said...

Could you re-up this one, please?
The link has expired. :(

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Sure! The link should be working now.