Saturday, June 22, 2019

Three tracks from last time, in much better (mono) sound



If anyone wants the entire LP pictured above (ripped, not mailed to you), I can probably do that.  But for this post, I've grabbed only Country Boy (a fake version of the Fats Domino hit) from it.  Wings of a Dove and Running Bear were taken from two other Prom LPs (one of which doesn't bother to list its label title!), so now we have these three tracks in much better sound than before.  Which is to say, no fake stereo this time around.

No artist credits, as usual.  The singles would have had (likely fake) artist credits, and I'm about to check at 45cat, except my username and password are not working--that's wonderful.  I just changed the password using their procedure, and they are still refusing to let me log in.  I sent them a message asking why this is happening.  "Do you want members or not?"  You might be able to tell I'm slightly angry.

And 45cat's Prom section is pathetically bare.  I could double or triple it with my own input--though, of course, they'd have to let me in for that to happen.  And then my info probably wouldn't take.  Discogs is less of a mess, but searching for anything there is a nightmare unless it's a straightforward hunt--label, name.  Even then, you might end up with a thousand useless results.  Fine-tune my search, you say?  Yeah, but there's that word--search.  It means you're looking for something.  If I knew the precise, pick-from-500-options search parameters to choose, maybe I wouldn't have to be looking in the first place.  I go there to find information, not confirm it.  It's like having to know the meaning of a word before you can look it up in the dictionary.

Sites of this type need to become organized or call it a day.  The internet is a potentially wonderful network of stored data--too bad we haven't figured out how to manage that data. Computers, alone or connected together, would function better without human ineptitude getting in the way.





DOWNLOAD: Three tracks from last time, in better sound





Country Boy--Hits a Poppin' (Prom 212)
Running Bear--Top Hits (Prom 112)
Wings of a Dove--Top Hits 116 (No label name; probably Prom)



Lee

4 comments:

Apesville said...

I for one would like you to update 45cat's with the fakes. I add stuff as I rip it there. It is very simple to add labels & artist info there. The big problem is if you make a mistake. Then you have to ask a admin to correct it.

I find disclog harder to add tracks & labels & harder to search.

"I go there to find information, not confirm it. " But someone has to provide the info or us simple mortals can not learn. We all know something we can add there. Hope you solve the password problem.
Dean

Oh the search on https://www.rootsvinylguide.com is even worse unless you only use the artist name!

Scott1669 said...

Yes.....AI will take over the world.
You know I am going to ask for the whole enchilada here....right????? I love these fake hit flatuations !!!!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Apesville,

Thanks. So far, 45cat has not answered my message. Changing my password didn't work, and if I try to change my username, chances are 99 out of 100 that I'll get a "This account already exists" message. And I KNOW my information is correct, because Chrome recorded it, and because I wrote it in my password/username book. Both sources can't be mistaken. This is 45cat's error, and there's nothing users can do when a site can't keep track of our sign-on info. I get very angry when I'm stuck in the dysfunctional loop which results from a site that doesn't have its act together. These sites need to realize that the most basic details--such as signing in--have to take top priority, because the site needs input. It depends on it. Little details are the details you can't afford to neglect, but so many sites do so, anyway. I'm very disappointed.

And if I dissed the site's Prom page, I apologize--it's the Promenade page I should've looked at. Both labels are the same, as you know, but Promenade was used way more often, at least after the early days. I think Enoch Light owned Prom initially, since he and Artie Malvin showed up on it.

Scott1669--

Okay. I guess I'll have to. (Fake resignation.) Of course, I love ripping these things and love any excuse to do so. Happy to oblige. I'll just have to get my other "fake" version of Way Down Yonder... together as "bonus" tracks for the post.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Versions, I mean. What is it about cyberspace that has us all committing more typos? Hm. Probably the way that cyberspace inspires us to rush. And so people rush an answer to an email, and, in the process, fail to answer the sender. So ten more exchanges become necessary to clear up what one or two exchanges could have done. Because we think we have to work fast.

I'm fascinated by our psychological interactions with media. The whole thing of email inspiring us to give a sentence fragment, when typing an entire sentence would have taken maybe three more seconds to do. It's the impact of the technology. And now we have Twitter, which requires people to make on-the-spot comments that are clever and funny and meaningful, a talent very few people possess. Even the best stand-up comics rehearse their materiel to death and test it on audiences, revising things along the way. Humans are reduced to expressing their attitude of the moment on a forum allegedly designed to communicate with. And I long ago discovered at FB that, while nothing prevents me from giving complete, thoughtful answers to things, I'm pretty much asking to be ignored. Those unwritten rules that govern popular human activity. Those things "everyone knows" you're not to do on FB or Twitter. Like write in English, for instance.