Sunday, June 02, 2019

Sunday morning gospel: Where Will I Shelter My Sheep Tonight?





Two questions arise.  1) Why do song titles that take the form of a question so often lack a question mark (as here), and 2) why does the cover say Where Will I Shelter My Sheep Tonight but the label reads, Radio Gospel Favorites No. 3?  I mean, I'm just trying to Sunday-morning-gospel-post here, and Rimrock Records is making it hard for me.

But the tracks are terrific, so I guess none of that matters.  And if only because of its awesome cover, this LP would have to be my Sunday offering, even if it didn't have a host of great tunes and talented people--Carl Story, the Lewis Family, the Blue Ridge Quartet, and the Stanley Brothers.  But it does, and that makes this post all the cooler.  This is a cover that just leaps out at you from the thrift bin.  I almost expected it to do just that--leap out into my arms.  In which case, I would have known it was meant to be the Sunday offering.

Today's sound file is yet another example of how amazingly well VinylStudio does away with clicks and pops.  I used to have to work so much harder on these things.  Do I complain?  Noooo.

Discogs has this to say about Rimrock Records: "Record label in Concord, Arkansas, USA."  Neat.  Saves me the trouble of looking at the lower portion of the label.  No mention of a connection with Starday Records, though these all appear to be, or have been, Starday sides.  So why did Rimrock have them?  Does the STR prefix in the catalog no. refer in any way to Starday?  It can't be an abbreviation for stereo, since this is mono.  I'm leaning toward "STR" being a Starday-related prefix, though that label doesn't appear to have used a "STR" prefix itself.  But why else would Rimrock use STR as its prefix?  Maybe if I obsess over this for a few hours, the answer will come to me.

Truly terrific stuff here, so get on the Heaven Bound Train without delay:







DOWNLOAD:  Where Will I Shelter My Sheep Tonight?



Legend of the Robin's Red Breast--Cowboy Copas
Where Will I Shelter My Sheep--Acorn Sisters
Satisfied Mind--Joe Maphis and Guitar
I Am a Pilgrim--The Lewis Family and Carl Story
Wonderful Beautiful Place--The Masters Family
Dig a Little Deeper--The Sunshine Boys
Zion's Hill--Carl Story
Better Get Ready--Jimmy Murphy
Heaven Bound Train--Carl Story and the Lewis Family
Who at My Door Is Standing--Clyde Moody
Did You Ever Go Sailing--Lulu Belle and Scotty
Radio Saved--The Blue Sky Boys
White Dove--Red Ellis
No Trouble in Heaven--The Lewis Family
I Love to Sing the Story of Jesus--Crossroads Quartet
There's Nothing on Earth--Carl Story

Where Will I Shelter My Sheep Tonight (Rimrock Records STR-3005)


Lee

5 comments:

Ernie said...

It is a nice cover, I'll give it that. :)

Lee Hartsfeld said...

You mean, if only it wasn't ruined by all the major gospel acts of the time?

A man for whom Christ died said...

Lee,
Thanks for this classic album, good listenin' ahead! I've enjoyed the title cut from the first time I heard it over thirty years ago, on a Bluegrass Gospel compilation tape given to me in my Christmas stocking. I read somewhere (can't remember where now though), that The Acorn Sisters were really three sisters, but their last name was used by another popular sister trio of that time, so the record company executive (probably the A&R man), decided to change their name to the name of their label, Acorn Records. This song from the 45 is on Youtube as well, a classic indeed! I believe they recorded other cuts during their short career, but this is their biggest hit (so to speak) for sure! I've heard most of the other cuts (even have the Carl Story/Lewis Family collaborations on an LP somewhere), but some I haven't heard and a few that I have heard, didn't have 'til now! Again, thanks! BTW (and a little off-topic), what was the record label in AR that Wayne Raney (sp) had at least part ownership in? I have one album from that label, from a Holiness trio who went by Eddie, Connie And Carol (Eddie and Connie Peach and her sister Carol Hiniger, not sure on any spelling). Oh and while I'm here, the group I told you about a few weeks ago (The Little Country Trio of Norwood, OH), produced five LPs and several 45s, so be on the lookout please! 'Til later, love and prayin' for ya!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Callcast: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

A man for whom Christ died said...

Lee,
Never mind, I'm like a cat chasing my own tail, answered my own question. Yeah, it's Rimrock, the very label in question, here. Also still enjoy your Blueridge Quartet offering from the label and look forward to more SMgs, when you can, love and prayin' for ya. P.S., gonna try to hunt up this ZIP, got it somewhere!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Personal Podcast: https://www.spreaker.com/show/back-to-the-old-paths
TIBPF Podcast: http://www.tibpf.sermon.net

Anonymous said...

Lee,
Just looking through some of your older posts and yeah, I answered my own question (maybe somewhere else, too). It was this very label. I do wonder (now that I read this again), did Raney borrow these tapes from Starday, Acorn, or wherever he got them? 'Til later, love and prayin' for ya.

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh

Church Podcast: https://www.sermonaudio.com/pleasantviewky
Personal Podcast: https://www.spreaker.com/show/back-to-the-old-paths
TIBPF Podcast: https://www.tibpf.sermon.net