Saturday, February 22, 2020

Shellac for 2020, Part 1 (1904-1920)--Dan Kildare, Don Richardson, Charles A. Prince, Earl Fuller







I've already featured shellac this year, but we'll just pretend this is the first time.  Hence, "Shellac for 2020." This latest 78-athon was inspired by Buster, who's working with software similar to mine--specially, the "Equalization Page" on my VinylStudio program, which I've been using to fine-fine-tune 78s (great for producing eye strain), and the results have made me very happy.  For instance, I was able to bring out the buried percussion on 1914's When You're a Long, Long Way from Home (featuring an African-American band led by led by Dan Kildare) by focusing on the lowest frequency range (starting at 250 Hz), and I was able to make the aggressive drumming on the Victor Military Band's High Jinks and Laughing Husband sound even more in-your-ear.  As opposed to in-your-face.   I start with a word about Earl Fuller's very interesting Texas by David W. Guion, who worked with Ferde Grofe and Paul Whiteman.  Click on the link for his amazing story--the thing to know for this playlist is that the song is actually Guion's The Texas Fox Trot of 1915.  Nowadays, and maybe for a number of decades now, we would expect music about Texas to have a "cowboy" sound, but the Bolero rhythm and minor-mode verse tells us that Guion is evoking the territory's past, not its Hollywood future.  Whatever I just typed.

I decided to start the list with some early dance band music--some of the earliest I know of, at least.  In fact, Joan Sawyer's Persian Garden Orch.--actually, as I noted above, a group led by Dan Kildare, not dancer Sawyer--is, per my own take on jazz history, an example of the kind of string bands that predated the "Dixieland" bands we incorrectly cite as the first jazz.  String bands and "clubs" (mandolin, banjo, etc.), a tradition dating back at least as far as the 1880s, were dominated by stringed instruments but were also often augmented by percussion, a cornet or two, woodwinds--whatever.  These musicians weren't working from a rule book.  I believe that the massed string orchestras mark the dawn of jazz, if only because more and more of the things--banjo orchestras, etc.--are being uncovered on recordings.  The interweaving of parts/lines/voices which characterizes Dixieland and the performances by James Reese Europe, Art Hickman, Dan Kildare, and even Joseph C. Smith (think of him as genteel jazz) is exactly what we'd expect to have evolved from large outfits which, weak on music-reading skills, would have negotiated their way through a given song, with multiple musicians doing what, come Dixieland, would be assigned to one.  Dunno if that made sense (I'm fighting a respiratory bug, so I may be feverish), but anyway, if the acoustic/acoustical process didn't make it necessary to limit the number of musicians playing at any single time, we'd have audio documents of string bands (augmented and otherwise) in their full glory.  But acoustically record an orchestra or "club"'s worth of strings or percussion, and the results were sonic mush.  Total loss of detail.  That pre-electrical era engineers did as well as they did with percussion is something of a miracle.

My outlier position regarding early jazz is that the music showed up in any number of guises, that we should be trying to document all the discrete manifestations of early, early jazz--as opposed to looking for "the first jazz recording."  Tim Gracyk writes that one Walter Rogers arranged many of the Victor label's early dance records,  and, judging from the sides I put in today's playlist, Rogers must have been listening to black orchestras.  (Wish I had the dough to buy the history book I'm sample-reading right now.)  Rock journalism, which patterned itself on jazz criticism, has Elvis as the first genuine/complete/real/viable/sustainable example of rock and roll, just as jazz critics seem to regard Dixieland as the first form of jazz which had a future.  I find that take pretty odd, given that Dixieland became obsolete within less than a decade from its first appearance on disc.  Later jazz wasn't built on its foundation, though some historians do seem to think so.  But I think a comparison of King Oliver to the Fletcher Henderson arrangements of the next decade sort of sink that notion.

Anyway, many of these sides impress me as strongly jazz-influenced.  Some can even be considered jazz, I think.  Not Don Richardson's A Perfect Day, however (and why "Don" is placed in quotes on the label, I do not know).   Don was a songwriter and a fiddler who made some extraordinary country fiddle sides in 2016 that I need to re-rip for the blog.  Wikipedia notes that Don "may have made the first country music recording in 1914."  They mean this one.  And, no, it's not country.  Oh, well.  Now we know.  However, it's great to have any example of dance music from this early, so I'll take it.  I was years waiting for it to turn up, hoping for some 1914 country, though that did seem unlikely, given the waltz tune.

After all that, we end with three nothing-to-do-with-jazz sides, starting with 1904's Come Take a Trip in My Airship (in a rip greatly improved over my Halloween rip), which features a male vocalist singing a woman's lyrics--a phenomenon that lasted into the vocal refrains of 1920s dance sides.  (I used to have two The Man I Love versions sung by males.)  Then, Victor Herbert's delightful Lanciers Figure 5 from Miss Dolly Dollars--and all I know about a lancier is that it's a type of dance (from France, looks like).  Herbert uses the rondo form, and the music is simple in an ingenious way.  Happy Heine dates from a period in which ethnic slurs were the rage.  Actually, they didn't stop being the rage until pretty recently in our popular culture.  To the shellac....




DOWNLOAD: Shellac for 2020, Part 1



When You're a Long, Long Way from Home (Meyer)--Joan Sawyer's Persian Garden Orch. (Dan Kildare) (Columbia A5642; 1914)
A Perfect Day (Intro. "Dear Old Girl")--"Don" Richardson's Orchestra (Columbia A5644; 1914)
Bugle Call Rag (Carey Morgan)--Victor Military Band (Victor 35533; 1916)
Some Sort of Somebody (Kern)--Same
Chinatown, My Chinatown--Medley (Schwartz-Cobb)--Prince's Orch., Dir. G. Hepburn Wilson (Columbia A5574; 1915)
High Jinks--One Step or Trot (Friml--Arr. Savino)--Victor Military Band (Victor 35376; 1914)
Singapore--Medley (Gilbert and Friedland)--Earl Fuller's Rector Novelty Orch. (Columba A2686; 1918)
Laughing Husband Medley--One-Step or Trot (Kern)--Victor Military Band (Victor 35376; 1914)
Waiting for the Robert E. Lee (Medley Turkey Trot)--Victor Military Band (Victor 35277; 1912)
When the Midnight Choo-Choo Leaves for Alabam'--Medley--Turkey Trot--Same
Dance it Again with Me--One-step (Wallace)--Art Hickman's Orchestra (Columbia A2899; 1919)
Oriental Stars--One-step (Monaco)--Prince's Dance Orch. (Columbia A 2906; 1920)
Bound in Morocco (Herscher)--Same
I Ain't Got Nobody Much (Graham-Wilson)--Earl Fuller's Rector Novelty Orch. (Columbia A2547; 1918)
Arabian Nights--One-Step (David and Hewitt)--Columbia Band, Dir. Charles A. Prince (Columbia A6099; 1918)
Oriental--One-step (Vincent Rose)--Earl Fuller's Rector Novelty Orchestra (Columbia A6075; 1918)
Texas--Fox Trot (David W. Guion)
Hello, My Dearie--One-step--Prince's Band (Columbia A5986; 1917)
That's Got 'Em (Sweatman)--Wilbur Sweatman's Original Jazz Band (Columbia A2721; 1919)
Come Take a Trip in my Airship (Geo. Evans)--J.W. Myers, w. Orch. (Columbia A320; 1904)
Miss Dollar Dollars--Lanciers Figure 5 (Victor Herbert)--Prince's Orchestra (Columbia A5063; 1906)
Happy Heine--March and Two-Step (J. Bodewalt Lampe)--Arthur Pryor's Band (Victor 4633; 1905)



Lee




9 comments:

Ernie said...

Glad you're back, Lee, with a stack of shellac. I was starting to miss you. Sorry you're not feeling well.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Thanks. I start feeling better, then I'm not. But spring is only a month away. I hope Nature knows that and cooperates!

rev.b said...

I always look forward to the acoustic shellacs. I'm sure the transfers will be top notch. Much appreciated.

Buster said...

I'm pleased to see I was the inspiration for this shellacking - I am sure it will be quite a treat to hear!

Zoomer Roberts said...

Jelly Roll Morton would peel off a litany of musical elements that went into the gumbo of jazz, such as marches, light opera, hymns, Spanish and French music(s), and so on. He also claimed to have invented jazz, so his statements often have to be taken with a pound of salt. But I think you're onto something, moreso than those who are still excavating for that elusive Buddy Bolden cylinder.

These records shine like a new dime. Your restorations and remasterings are eye-wateringly clean and clear. Good work!

Zoome

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Thank you!

Aging Child said...

Thank you for another fine collection, Lee, and particularly, as well, your read on early-jazz history. The shadow of the later big names hides the original, inventive innovators on whose shoulders they're standing; this is a well-deserved spotlight on them. Thanks again... and, too, for your work on bringing the sound out.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Thanks--and nice to hear from you! I've been wondering where you went. I felt like I'd overgeneralized a bit (or maybe a lot) in my post essay, but I just ripped a fascinating quartet side from 1915 (with Billy Murray, who of course sang in two Victor quartets) which is a typically racist, minstrel-type thing--the kind we just have to accept, because they're history. But it's a "darkie regiment" number, with strongly syncopated (and loud!) drumming, and it seems to support my feeling that even in the Victor Military Band sides, black influence was strong.

Buster said...

I was particularly taken with Waiting for the Robert E. Lee - what a terrific song! Haven't heard it for years.

Come Take a Trip in My Airship sounds excellent - so clear for 1904. I love that this is in effect a vaudeville number on record, complete with J.W. Myers asking the audience to sing along.

The Earl Fuller sides are fascinating, although he could have usefully left the marimba or xylophone at home.