Sunday, March 08, 2020

Jesus Use Me, by the Gospel Enlightness (Cabut Recording Co. CA-1003; probably 1969)




I 'm not sure exactly what, but there's just something about this cover photo which suggests a lot of down-home sounds in the vinyl.  And, sure enough, there are.  Way down-home sounds.  Now, I wish more gospel covers would have a left-to-right group identification in the notes--so very few do; and this one is no exception.  The thing here is that the man on the right, who holds Andy's guitar (see "ANDY" on the body), almost can't be Andy, since this record was made in approximately 1969.  I have to say "approximately," because this is a Rite Records pressing, and the dates on the online Rite Records matrix guide are only approximate prior to 1975.  So, if the man on the far left is Andy, then he was born in 1940, and he'd have been about 29 when this was taken.  He certainly doesn't look 29, so I'm assuming he's Cecil Honeycutt, with Cecil's wife, Amy, the lady in the center.  This could have been a hastily posed photo.  Grab instrument, smile.

So, this was recorded and produced by the Cabut Recording Co. of Shelby, Ohio, with "studio in Lima, Ohio."  Huh?  Well, whatever.  Cecil and Amy, the older couple, are from Kentucky, having settled in Indiana in 1955.  And this is a gift from Diane in Indiana, so--thanks, Diane!

Great sounds, and I've had no time to check out the composer credits or anything, since I'm preparing two other posts as we speak.  Just the way things timed out--though God's Old Clock is apparently by Hal Kennedy, words and music.  (I just had to look that one up.)  This LP is pure bluegrass gospel, and I love it, but someone did a less than exemplary job capturing the performances.  Apologizes to Jim Horn, who's listed as producer, but if you're going to 1) turn on the tape machine too late or 2) turn it off too early, then at least splice out the thumping noises.  Luckily, I took the time to do this for you.  No thumps, but you'll be hearing some clipped beginnings and abrupt endings.  These were in the record--I didn't do 'em.  Anyway, MAGIX makes precise sound file editing easy with its unlimited magnification feature, perhaps in anticipation of challenges like these.

I suppose the careless tape machine operation adds to the charm of the disc--but only once the thumping sounds have been eliminated.  The thumps remind me of the two-cent productions from the Eli Oberstein labels (Royale, et al.), where, on many releases, the same recorder-turning-off noises adorn the space between the tracks.  But I only paid a buck.  And I really do love that cover photo. And the music.  And the warm, friendly feeling.  It's impossible to look at that photo and listen to these folks and not like them.  To not want them over to your house for a visit.  But I don't know, if given a chance, I'd ask them to explain their group name--The Gospel Enlightness.  "Enlightness," after all, isn't a word, though it is a character in the Game of Warcraft.  I might, if I had them over, find some gentle way, some polite opening via which to say, "So, um... how did you decide on your, um, name?  Oh, I think the microwave just went off.  Be right back."

Another mystery: The phone number in the lower r.h. corner of the back jacket.  Whose number is it?  The studio's?  The group's?  The Game of Warcraft's?  Maybe it's a service which explains how an LP can be recorded in Shelby, Ohio when the studio is in Lima.  I just checked, and the distance between Shelby and Lima is 84 miles.  Maybe a lot of rushing back and forth was involved here.  That could explain Cecil ending up with Andy's guitar.  But, seriously, excellent bluegrass gospel.  Diane thrifted a winner with this one.





DOWNLOAD: Jesus Use Me--The Gospel Enlightness




TITLES AND VOCALIST(S)

No Vacancy--Cecil Honeycutt
Satan Is Real--Cecil and Amy Honeycutt
I Saw the Light--Instrumental by Ellis Lenceford, lead guitarist
Born Again--Andy Hurt and Cecil Honeycutt
I'm Going Home--Cecil and Patricia Honeycutt
I Won't Have to Cross Jordan Alone--Cecil and Amy Honeycutt
Harp with Golden Strings--Patricia Honeycutt
Away Upon the Mountain--Cecil and Amy Honeycutt
God's Old Clock (Hal Kennedy)--No credit, though probably Amy
What a Happy Day--Patricia Honeycutt
How Many Different Ways--Cecil and Amy Honeycutt
Jesus Use Me--Cecil and Patricia Honeycutt


Jesus Use Me, by the Gospel Enlightness (Cabut Recording Co. CA-1003; about 1969)



Lee

9 comments:

Scott1669 said...

I LOVE the spoken word part in 'Satan is Real'!!!! This is great stuff as always!!!!

Thank you Lee!

A man for whom Christ died said...

WOW, what a find! I wouldn't call it Bluegrass, but definitely down home for sure! Given the electric guitar, I'd say it's a bit less-polished than say, the late Early Upchurch (his daughter Kathy and family are good friends of mine), good stuff! They were (this group, that is) heavily influenced by The Louvin Brothers, given Satan Is Real and Born again, but they do give them their own treatments LOL, which adds more charm/sincerity to the album. You said you took out the thumps, but are the fades as is? Oh and I believe I have an explanation on the name, possibly a typo that stuck. One such famous (or at least, the one first off the top of my head LOL), is a group from (I believe) Nashville, TN, who were originally called The Celestials, but one day, when an album was being typed up, the typist accidentally typed The Telestials! They liked it and used it 'til their retirement, whenever that was. Their is a duet of blind ladies from either Kanapolis or Concord, NC (can't remember which one, especially since they are so close), called The Enlighteners BTW. I believe they still sing, because I saw an announcement for a Homecoming they sung sometime last Summer, I believe. Oh and on the phone number, I'd say, if it was from OH, it was the studio, from IN, it was a member of the group. Keep 'em comin', love and prayin' for ya!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Callcast: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

Diane said...

You're welcome, Lee. Glad you are skilled enough to "clean up" these records and share them with others!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Diane,

Thanks again! And I hope this group found a more competent tape machine operator for their next effort....

Josh,

Most of the fades had thumps, as well. Someone was turning on the recorder just as the group started and just as each selection was closing. Total ineptitude! Typically, the sound of a recorder starting and stopping (when not edited out) happens ahead of, or behind, the performances, but not this time. Glad you enjoyed! I guess I designated this as gospel based on the vocals--they seem very bluegrass to me. But the instrumental line-up is country gospel, so it's kind of hard to peg.

A man for whom Christ died said...

Lee,
I've only spot-checked the album, so haven't listened to one song all the way through yet, but I sure will! I've seen/heard some strange editing in my time, I'll have to send you some personally. Good stuff as well, but what in the world were they thinking/doing? LOL! Ya know, I was thinking, with the low-budget nature of this whole project, could it be possible, that the group name was in fact, a typo just from that album and not the group name altogether? 'Til later, love and prayin' for ya!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Callcast: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

Vaughn Honeycutt said...

My name is Vaughn Honeycutt and the youngest son of Cecil and Amy Honeycutt, who are featured on these albums. The man holding the guitar with Andy on it is Andy Hurt. Andy always looked older than he was but I believe Ellis was the 29 year old. The short fellow in the middle is my dad Cecil. My mother Amy is the beautiful lady in the back center and my sister Patricia (always known as Penny) is the little girl (13 years old) in front. To the far left is my brother Cecil Jr. (16 years old) holding his bass guitar, with Ellis next to him. The name of the group was the Gospel Enlighteners. Not sure where they came up with the name...I'll have to ask my mom. I believe the name on the album was a typo and they just never changed it, but don't hold me to that. I would sometimes travel with the family and sing in the churches they played in when I was 6 or so years old. Never made it on a record due to being so young. The group played through the mid 70's and then my dad formed a bluegrass band called the Tri County Travelers. Thank you for posting this. It brought back a lot of memories from my childhood.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Vaughn,

I'm so glad, and it was my pleasure to bring it to you. Many thanks for the background, and first chance, I'll incorporate what you've told me into the text. Yes, the "Enlightness" does seem as if it was most likely a typo. I enjoyed these tracks very much, and my comments about the engineering imperfections and such were gentle ribbing--I love productions like these. They're delightfully honest and heartfelt. Thanks so much for commenting, and I'll revamp the text first chance.

A man for whom Christ died said...

Yes, thank you Vaughn, for the info and personal history. Meant to mention this a while back, but it slipped my mind, and never posted it, 'til now. I mentioned that the group was heavily influenced by The Louvin Brothers, but I forgot to mention the other song they did from them on this album, Away Upon The Mountain. Oh and I've only heard How Many Different Ways one other place, an album we had at the station, when I first started working there, a little over twenty-two years ago. Never knew who it was though, but I believe it was a southern/mountain soloist/musician, who sure believed in overdubbing LOL! The album was purged, long time before I was LOL! Got any more of these Lee? Thanks all and 'til later, love and praying for y'all!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Callcast: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

rosbeliobones9223@gmail,com said...

Jesus o Abençoe, e muito obrigado !!