Monday, December 12, 2022

Brunswick Concert Band: "Kiddies' Patrol"/"Kiddies' Dance" (1920), plus the VMB

 





Strange times call for strange measures--my out-of-nowhere Windows hassle has knocked my blog posting off course, naturally (I should be one LP-rip ahead at this point).  And so I'm offering this six-selection zip file which, in fact, only contains one Christmas title--the rest are 12-inch non-holiday Victor Military Band gems, all new to the blog.  What happened was, I just ripped the Brunswick Concert Band's Kiddies' Patrol/Dance for YouTube, and I decided to post it here, as well (in non-video form).  And I figured, why not add the VMB sides?  So I did.

This Brunswick Concert Band "descriptive" number was penned by Walter B. Rogers (Victor's "house" band leader--and, I think, arranger--until 1916), with Rogers the likely director, since he worked in a Victor-style capacity for Brunswick starting in 1919.  I combined sides A and B (Kiddies' Patrol--Christmas Eve/Kiddies' Dance--Christmas Morning) into a single file, and because one of these two sides (the B side?) is at Amazon for download, I got a copyright claim notice at YT, though I was still allowed to post.  This is ridiculous, of course, because all pre-1923 recordings are pubic domain.  By law.  But I somehow don't feel like arguing the point with YT, since my channel isn't monetized, anyway.

The 1913-1914 VMB sides are terrific, and I'm quite satisfied with my rips.  Also, even though I understand why Hits of 1915 was thus titled, despite having been recorded in late 1914, I still find the situation amusing.


DOWNLOAD: Kiddies' Patrol/Dance, plus VMB


Kiddies' Patrol (Christmas Eve)/Kiddie's Dance (Christmas Morning) (Walter B. Rogers)--Brunswick Concert Band, approx. Oct., 1920

Hits of 1915--Medley--Victor Military Band, Dir. by Edward T. King, 1914

Dengozo--Brazilian Maxixe (Ernesto Nazareth)--Victor Military Band, Dir. Rogers, 1914

Destiny Waltz (Sidney Baynes)--Same

The Night Owls (Vincent Scotto)--Same



Lee

7 comments:

Ernie said...

Thanks, Lee! Glad you made it past your issue with the typing suggestions. My new computer at work does that, but I just ignore it, doesn't bother me. :)

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Ernie,

I wish I had that ability (to ignore it). But I resent features which intrude upon the writing process, especially when I never opted for them in the first place. The oddest thing of all, in case I didn't mention it, is that the feature(s) had only popped up within the past few days, well after the previous system update. Leaving no explanation for their activation. (Unless I hit a couple stray keys or something...)

Ernie said...

Yeah, that's usually how these things pop up. Some update goes in, or some obscure keystrokes. At least you were able to turn it off eventually. :)

Anonymous said...

MerrLEE Christmas, Lee
Blessings to You
Byron

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Byron,

Same to you!

Francisco Ortiz Archila said...

Muchas gracias, feliz año nuevo 2023.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Francisco,

My pleasure, and happy 2023 to you, too!