Sunday, December 11, 2022

Unwanted keyboard "help"--Update

So... The Microsoft support person told me that the auto-complete feature was enabled by my browser (which is something I had suspected, though I could find no way to disable any such function in Edge).  Anyway, long story short, I am now using Chrome as my browser, and the problem seems to have vanished.

On the other hand, suddenly my type looks kind of funky.  Not as sharp.  I have no idea why that would be.  It's as if font quality is less.  Every other aspect off the display is fine, save for the lettering.

Maybe there's a setting for font/type.  But I don't feel like messing around with settings at this point.

The tech also suggested that the auto-complete feature is unique to a given "chat" page.  And I guess Blogger would qualify as such?  Don't ask me.  I never thought of Blogger in terms of a chat page.  Strange.

At any rate, I am no longer being dogged by word and phrase suggestions.  But what an adventure--I had to download the app which permits the tech/user interface, insert an activation code, AND then I had to come up with a new Microsoft password.  I'm lucky that I'm bald on top, or I'd have been tearing out my hair.

Then our chat connection failed, but the tech was still able to communicate with me on the Word pad, or whatever you call it.  This was flat-out surreal.

Maybe I dreamed the entire thing.  Any moment now, I'll wake up... (Hm.  Nope, I must already be awake.)


Lee

6 comments:

groovylounge said...

The plain and simple answer to all your computer problems is to stop using a Windows computer. It's an ancient construct essentially rebuilt over and over again from its primal beginnings.

You will have none of these silly Windoze problems if you just give it up for an Apple computer.

+

groovylounge said...

The plain and simple answer to all your computer problems is to stop using a Windows computer. It's an ancient construct essentially rebuilt over and over again from its primal beginnings.

You will have none of these silly Windoze problems if you just give it up for an Apple computer.

Bryan said...

Hi Lee,
Well, I am glad you got it fixed.
But, going back to using Google Chrome on a permanent basis would be hard for me to stomach. While I have both search engines set up, and every once in a while, I use Google Chrome, I always decline to make it my preferred search engine.
The funny thing is, everyone I know either uses Microsoft or Google Chrome. I only use Edge because I am a Windows Insider. Which I am sure does not mean anything.
Google just keeps too much background information on your searches. This is something I try to stop at all costs. I'm just glad there are Ad blockers available.

Bryan said...

Hi Lee,
Just re-read your blog update.
As I have Windows 11 Beta, it should be the same as just Windows 11, not sure about the old Windows 10, but...
In Windows 11, in the settings, there is Time & language. You click and open this. You see Typing insights. You click this and then just turn off Typing insights.
However, I read that in Windows 10 it said it was different. But you know well enough, there is so much old and out-of-date information on the web. So maybe Windows 10 changed their system.
Depending on if you like Edge over Google Chrome, you can always use them both. I prefer Edge now, but some things I look up or whatever use Google Chrome. Not sure why?

Bryan said...

Hi Lee,
Oh, if you want, at least in Windows 11 Beta, you can mess around with the font. There are loads of them. Just type in font in your settings search bar.
It is also listed under Personalization. Lots of neat stuff to explore, but I am vanilla, what is, is. I am too lazy to mess around.
Grammarly loves what I have written. Makes my day...

musicman1979 said...

Glad to see you got your "Typing Insights" frustration dealt with, and that you can continue giving us yuletide cheer without turning into Scrooge or the Grinch!! (Add grin emoji here). I could sense your frustration when I read your last post on Saturday. Thanks for the update.