Saturday, April 13, 2019

Jimmy Jett, the Three of Us, and Sherry Martin--Hambone (Irene 528)

I expected an avalanche of comments on my fake Archies posting.  My heart is broken.  I'll never play the violin again.  Funny thing--I never played it before.

That joke went out with, "Doc, it hurts when I move my arm like this."  Doc: "Then stop moving it like that."

So, today the Irene label is back.  Back in the form of a beat-up 45.  However, with my buggy-as-ever VinylStudio, I was able to salvage the track I bought the EP for--Hambone--and to my joy this version turns out to be a cover of the original Red Saunders hit, not the Jo Stafford/Frankie Laine pop version.  Hooray!  And it's a decent enough imitation, if a bit anemic, but with a killer guitar solo break.  Just now, I tried to find a good copy of the 1952 Saunders disc on YouTube but only came across two poor transfers, plus the re-release which featured TV kiddie host Sandy Becker.  You'll have to read up on that--I won't even attempt to explain it.  The re-release deletes the awesome orchestra break and was accidentally included on at least one roots-of-rock CD collection.  If I can locate my copy of the Saunders 78, I'll rip it.

Hambone, of course, is just one of umpteen pre-Bo Diddley recordings (including Andre Kostelanetz's 1935 Rumba Fantasy!) which featured the Bo Diddley beat, proving that listeners don't pay attention to details.  That's not a cut on listeners--since the dawn of recorded sound, we've been bombarded by recorded sounds.  And that was not one of the more profound things I've ever typed.

To the Irene label cover of Hambone, which is credited to Jimmy Jett, the Three of Us, and Sherry Martin.  The five and only.  You know, I hadn't planned on this post turning out so weird, but I should have known it would.  It all starts with the decision to post something on a label called Irene.





LINK: Hambone--Jimmy Jett, the Three of Us, and Sherry Martin (Irene 528)









Lee

5 comments:

Buster said...

Personally, I would have gone for the Blue Tango cover, but then I am a Leroy Anderson and 50s instrumental fan.

I don't think I have that Red Saunders record. I know I have another version of it - looked on Discogs, and the only one I could find was by Dick Shawn. I know that's not it!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Did you look under Red Saunders' name? I really need to find my copy. It has to be here someplace. Not a reassuring thought as I gaze at the rows and piles of 78s...l.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

I was thinking of trying to save "Blue Tango." I'll give it a VinylStudio pass and see what comes out. Maybe I can rescue it....

Lee Hartsfeld said...

And here's my quick restoration of Blue Tango, played by Billy Bishop's Orchestra on Irene 528:

https://www74.zippyshare.com/v/gMuAduge/file.html

Buster said...

Thanks so much, Lee! So nice of you to do that.