Tuesday, October 01, 2019

Just the fakes, Ma'am. Enoch Light and His Orch.: "Dragnet" (Prom 1056)



I found this moderately battered 78 in an antique store no longer in existence.  It's been at least ten, maybe fifteen, years.  I made no attempt to pretty-up the label.  I wanted to keep the scan factual.  Nothing has been changed to protect the innocent.

Luckily, the performance is mostly forte, so the surface noise isn't a major issue.  This is an extremely good copy of the Ray Anthony hit--maybe better.  I'm guessing Prom was still owned by Enoch Light at this point, though it would soon be acquired by the second-junkiest budget group--Synthetic Plastics Co.  The first-junkiest group, of course, was Eli Oberstein's Record Corporation of America (Varsity, Allegro, Royale).  Nothing this good-sounding would have been allowed in that group.

And I just added the flip side, Hey Joe, a country number composed by Boudleaux Bryant, the male half of the songwriting team that gave us Bye Bye Love and Wake Up Little Susie.  It was a hit for Carl Smith, with Frankie Laine covering it.  Here we have Artie Malvin mimicking the latter singer, and very well.

Enjoy!





DOWNLOAD: Dragnet/Hey Joe--Enoch Light and His Orch., prob. 1953

Vocal, side B: Artie Malvin.



Lee

8 comments:

Scott1669 said...

If you are rebuilding really old cars and not painting them and selling them for exorbitant prices the wear on the label is called 'patina'.....What is on the flip??????

Lee Hartsfeld said...

A different selection. (Chortle, chortle)

I'll rip it in a bit. I should have included it, but I just wanted to get the facts out there.

Larry said...

Excellent!

And, I see on the label that it's "Non-breakable (with normal use)", so no mounting it on the fence for target practice - you wouldn't get your money back.

Is the flip side Peter Gunn? (probably too old for that)

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Yes, about five years too early. Flip is "Hey Joe," with Artie Malvin expertly imitating Frankie Laine. I knew it was Frankie--er, Artie--from the first bar.

rev.b said...

Perp: A fake?

Sgt. Friday: That’s right.

Perp: Why WOULDN’T I download this?

Sgt. Friday: I dunno, why don’t you tell me?

Perp: What do you mean?

Sgt. Friday: Well, you seem like a smart fella. You like music. You spend your days combing the web, making the scene, looking for a good time, a quick fix.

Perp: yeah..

Sgt. Friday: So why not?

Perp: Why not what?

Sgt. Friday: Why not download this?

Perp: I dunno, you tell me?

Sgt. Friday: I just did.

BOMB BOMB BOOOMB!


Gripping, RIPPED from yesterday’s headlines. Much appreciated Lee.

Apesville said...

1953 Promenade (NJ) EP - 1056 V/A

Gilmarvinyl said...

I really appreciate these posts of these obscure budget recordings, I look forward to them so much I check your blog almost daily to see if you have put up anything budget and download it pronto when it does. I enjoy your uploads, I am so thankful you take the time.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Rev. B,

Ha! Thanks. Great fake Dragnet dialogue.

Apesville,

Thanks. Glad to have a confirmation on the year.

Gilmarvinyl,

Appreciate the nice words. Great to hear from you.