Thursday, October 01, 2020

A Mess of 45s: The Teeners, Steve and Eydie, Chuck Miller, Sally Sweetland, the Jeweled Recordings label

 





Yes, a mess of forty-fives--hopefully, I haven't made a mess of them. Yuk, yuk.  I'm so fast on the wordplay.

I'm happy, by the way, to discover that I'm hardly the only person unhappy with the new Blogger.  I thought maybe I was overresponding, but I guess not.  Creating a post has become so cumbersome, it's not funny.  I have to make HTML changes for my track listings, for example, and in HTML mode, all the text is bunched together.  Someone had a beef against the world when they made these changes...

Anyway, I recently went to an outdoor/indoor antique show and flea market, and there was the usual crazily-priced stuff, plus some welcome bargains.  I came across one of the latter inside one of the buildings--boxes and boxes of 45s, four for a buck.  (Discs, not boxes.)  The dealer kindly provided me with a chair (at my age, those can be godsends), and I was in flip-through heaven.  Thrifters and show-goers know what flip-through heaven is, and how there's nothing else quite like it.  I even got a free 45 carrier after spending only ten bucks for more than forty of the little records.  Later, I found a "$1 each" sticker inside, suggesting that the discs hadn't moved at that price, so the tab was reduced.  Priced to move.  My favorite pricing scale.

No earth-shaking finds, but lots of cool stuff, including upgrades of vinyl I already have.  Oh, and prior to discovering the table of 45s, I'd bought the "Teeners" and "Rockets" on the Prom label at an outdoor booth.  The banged-up EP was sitting atop some magazines, and I figured it was worth a 50-cent gamble.  Both group names are pseudonyms for the Limelighters, the subject of this great page by Marv Goldberg.  Goldberg gives us a glimpse into how the budget labels worked--I would never have guessed the Today's Records label as the starting point for a group of budget masters.  The two sides--Church Bells May Ring and Little Girl of Mine--are superbly raw and lively 1956 doo wop, and the singers were high school kids!  I hope they got paid more than the spaghetti dinner mentioned...

Two levels of filtering and my 1.2 mil mono stylus rescued the tracks, though it took me three tries.  "I'll get you yet, my pretty," I cackled at one point.

And we get to hear former Artie Shaw and Harry James vocalist Kitty Kallen sing a very nice pop version of Long Lonely Nights (when this turned up, I knew I was in for a fun search), and we also get Doris Day singing a movie title song, Tunnel of Love, which registers close (closely?) enough to rock and roll to be considered same, I think.  We hear two Top 40 Steve Lawrence numbers written by Gerry Goffin and the great Carole King--the so-so Poor Little Rich Girl and the marvelous Walking Proud.  Plus, the also Top 40 I Want to Stay Here, a King-Goffin number I've always loved but didn't realize had been so successful.  In the UK, it was Steve and Eydie's biggest-ever hit, going to #3.  Dusty Springfield was one of the artists who later recorded this gem.  As for the Jeweled Recordings label, this was a new one on me.  I immediately recognized it as one of Tops' stranger attempts at disguise, but it must be uncommon, as Discogs doesn't have it.  The same ol' Dick Warren version of Rock Around the Clock is included on this six-title EP, and it's just a fun mini-mix overall.  

Sally Sweetland is someone I knew from children's recordings, if at all.  Here she is, singing with Hugo Winterhalter's Orchestra from the 1955 RCA Victor set, Platter Party, and dear Lord, what a fabulous voice.  I was not the least bit surprised to discover that her voice was dubbed into a number of 1940s films--she did the singing for many an actress.  That was her speed, and then some.  Her two numbers are total gold, and it's cool to discover that this magnificent singer lived to the age of 103!  So, I just had to start out the set with Sally.  The light surface noise was no match for VinylStudio's filter.

The excellent Mitch Miller instrumental A Very Special Love has a harmonica solo that must be Larry Adler.  Does anyone know?  And I swear I've heard a doo wop version of this tune.  Pat Boone's big hit version of A Wonderful Time up There helped this gospel classic (also known as Gospel Boogie) become widely known, I believe I've read.  It was the first version I ever heard, at least, and I loved it--Boone is superb.  As for Chuck Miller, some folks find his vocal gimmicks hard to take, but you can't complain about his boogie-woogie piano--I wouldn't, anyway.  His eight-bar got him to the Top Ten with The House of Blue Lights, and even though the lyrics describe a party and food, I believe that a "house of blue lights" is a house of, um... you know.  And I was happy to get into my collection the single version of the Bacharach-David Ooooh, My Love, as sung by Vic Damone.  It's kind of bland but pleasant enough, though it doesn't seem to have gotten anywhere on the charts.  The Gateway Top Tune fakes of Teen Age Prayer and Dungaree Doll were especially badly recorded, but I coaxed the fidelity up to mediocre, and the hum-heavy Barry Frank Moonlight Gambler--very well done, imo--showed up for me on a Bell 7" 78, and I wanted to offer my rip, even though Eric was kind enough to share the track a couple months back.  There's likely no difference in sound quality, but I'd had it ripped before I remembered Eric's share, and...

I cannot waste a rip, I guess.  Merv Griffin's horribly engineered The World We Love In (I have five copies, all of them featuring the same oversaturated audio) was the flip side of his almost-Top 100 Banned in Boston.  I didn't include Boston, but I'm sure it's on YouTube.  Georgia Gibbs' 1953 Thunder and Lightning is what critics like to call "dated" (I don't like the term, since styles naturally fall out of fashion--it's a function of the passage of time), but it's very well done.  Nothing remotely like what you'd hear on the radio today.  I never feel older than when I catch the closing acts on The Tonight Show--bizarre synchronized swaying with something remotely like singing happening someplace.  I think modern pop vocalizing is inspired by EVP.  The influence of Ghost Hunters on the Top 40.

Eddy Arnold's The Rockin' Mockin' Bird begs to be placed in the "No way!" category, but I think it works quite well as a rock and roll novelty, with Arnold handling the rhythms with his usual casual skill.  The title alerts us that it wasn't meant to be taken all that seriously, and it's all very professionally done, so lay off it, okay?  Oops--sorry.  Too much caffeine today.  Forgive me.  Anyway, the fidelity is quite vivid for 1956, in contrast to the fidelity on my other copy, which is kind of murky.  Maybe that one came from the end of a pressing cycle.



DOWNLOAD: A Mess of 45s



Autumn Rhapsody (Leight-Alstone)--Sally Sweetland w. Hugo Winterhalter and His Orch. (1955)
I Hope to Remember (Rox)--Same
Long Lonely Nights (Uniman-Abbott-Andrews-Henderson)--Kitty Kallen w. Sid Feller Orch. and Cho. (1957)
I Want to Stay Here (Goffin-King)--Steve and Eydie, 1963
Poor Little Rich Girl (Goffin-King)--Steve Lawrence, Arr. and Cond. by Marion Evans, 1963
Walking Proud (Goffin-King)--Same
Thunder and Lightning (Campbell--Barer)--Georgia Gibbs w. Orch. c. by Glenn Osser, 1953
Tunnel of Love (P. Fisher-Roberts)--Doris Day w. Frank De Vol and His Orch., 1958
Rock Around the Clock--Fred Gibson (aka, Dick Warren)--Jeweled Recordings, 1955?
Seventeen--Chuck Morgan (Same)
Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing--The Toppers, Bill Cornell Orch. (Same)
Ain't That a Shame--Tony Benson (Same)
Yellow Rose of Texas--Unknown (Same)
Wake the Town--The Toppers, Ray Charles Orch. (Same)
Church Bells May Ring (Willows-Craft)--The Rockets (The Limelighters), Buddy Lucas Orch., 1956
Little Girl of Mine (Goldner-Cox)--The Teeners (the Limelighters), Buddy Lucas Orch., 1956
A Very Special Love (Song for the Ninth Day)--Mitch Miller, 1957
Teen Age Prayer--Eileen Scott w.Herbie Layne's Orch. and Chorus, 1955
Dungaree Doll--Art Rouse w. Herbie Layne's Orch., 1955
The World We Love In (Raye-Mogol-Toang)--Merv Griffin w. Side Bass Orch. and Chorus, 1961
The Rockin' Mockin' Bird (Charlie Singleton-Rose Marie McCoy) Eddy Arnold, 1956
Ooooh, My Love (Bacharach-David)--Vic Damone w. Jimmy Carroll and His Orch., 1958
The House of Blue Lights (Don Raye-Freddie Slack)--Chuck Miller, 1955
A Wonderful Time up There (Abernathy)--Pat Boone, Orch. and Chorus c. by Billy Vaughn, 1958
Moonlight Gambler (Hilliard-Springer)--Barry Frank, Jimmy Carroll and Orch., 1957


Lee




23 comments:

Anonymous said...

RobGems68 wrote:
Thank you so much for mentioning "The Rockin' Mockin' Bird" on your list of singles you've found (was it on 78 or 45 r.p.m. that you've found it-RCA Victor issued it on both speeds.) When I was a child, my Great Grandfather, Lawrence Scigliano, who lived in Detroit near Harper Woods, Michigan had a copy of the RCA Camden album RCA issued in 1965 titled "I'm Throwing Rice At The Girl I Love & Other Favorites" (in glorious mono, as opposed to the dreaded "Electronically Re-Processed From Stereo version RCA issued at the time),and on Side 2,Track 1 was the song you mentioned. A homage to Elvis (I think), RCA tried at the time to get some of their aging pop artists to try their hand at the new-fangled Rock And Roll music after they struck gold with Elvis. Other Songs of this gimmick were songs like " Rock And Roll Waltz" by Kay Starr and even Mario Lanza (!!) trying to do a "rock-calypso" track in the style of Harry Belafonte with "Pineapple Picker", which was preposterous, if somewhat catchy. Have you found either of these songs? Sounds like RCA was trying to exploit their pop crowd with these goofy novelty songs in an attempt to draw a younger audience like Elvis was doing at the time. I first heard "Mockingbird" in 1970 at the age of 3, and still love it to this day.

Ernie said...

I love me a mess of 45's! Thanks!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

RobGems68,

I knew about the Kay Starr side, and I think I have it. Never heard of the Lanza, though--that sounds great! I also first heard the Eddy Arnold side on that fake-stereo LP--it made me eager to find it in mono. I have a very good rock and roll side by an RCA country star, though I can't remember the title at the moment. I'm pretty sure it was Pee Wee King. It's a Bill Haley-style side. Thanks for checking in!

Ernie,

My pleasure. Hope you enjoy these!

Ernie said...

Forgot to mention, if you can find a complete set of records for that RCA Party Platter, it's a really good collection. Lots of stuff in there that hasn't seen the light of day elsewhere from most of the pop names on RCA at the time. Took me a while to find a complete copy, but worth the time and effort.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

I only have one other disc from the set--Spike Jones and His City Slickers. There's a chance I had more at one time but didn't keep them. Yes, it looks like a great set. And dealers seem to want lots of dough for it!

Unknown said...

RobGems68 Wrote:
Thanks for your reply; I should have known all of the records you purchased were 45 R.P. M., so you had the Eddy Arnold one on 45 R.P.M. You don't suppose this "Rockin' Mockin' Bird" could have inspired Bobby Byrd A/K/A Bobby Day to compose "Rockin' Robin" just two years later? It's possible, but I doubt it. As for the Mario Lanza does Belafonte rave-up, it's located as the final track on Side 2 of his soundtrack album from 1958 titled "For The First Time", a rather forgettable flick that was as interesting as many of Elvis' throwaway flicks from the 1960's ("Clambake", anyone?) Not only is there that psuedo-Hawaiian/Calypso hybrid "Pineapple Picker" on that soundtrack album, but a German/Barvarian-styled song as well. Lanza was dead only a year after this movie, so RCA was just exploiting his talents other than pop-opera(I think.) Maybe one day you'll find this soundtrack album. RCA Red Seal issued it in mono and Living Stereo. Good luck in finding a copy, it's fairly easy to find like his other records.

Buster said...

Great collection, Lee!

I like Sally Sweetland - she did a lot of studio work and appeared in everything from pop to operetta, IIRC.

Like many others, I find Chuck Miller's vocals annoying, but "House of Blue Lights" is a great tune. The Merrill Moore record is the best I've heard. Moore is terrific in general.

And like you, Pat Boone's "Wonderful Time" was the first version I heard of "Gospel Boogie," back when it came out in 1958. Loved it then and now. I posted the original version many years ago.

Marv Goldberg's site is an amazing resource. He seems to know every little detail about R&B groups.

Sky Raven said...

A nice eclectic collection ... thanks for an enjoyable afternoon listen Lee. Burt

Monkey D. Sound said...

Thanks, loved that doris day song

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Lee, for a nice collection of songs. Plus another great written post. My favorites were the songs by Steve Lawrence. The song, I Want to Stay Here by Steve and Eydie, I have been told is like me. But, with the COVID out there it is hard to be as cozy as before. But I am a homebody since this was how I was raised. Our home is the most important and comfortable place to be. So yes, this song is ideal for me. Thanks for sharing it. Bryan

Lee Hartsfeld said...

You're welcome, Byran. And thanks, everyone, for your comments. I'm a little under the weather, or I'd have replied earlier.

Anonymous said...

Dear Lee, hope you get well soon. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Bryan

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Thanks, Bryan. Hope you enjoy the Enoch Light post!

UncleB said...

Good gosh. Take care of yourself! "Button up your overcoat..." (Sorry, couldn't resist ONE musical reference...)!

Seriously, this is not a time when one wants to hear ANYONE saying they have ANY sort of illness...

BE WELL!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

UncleB,

Thanks! And you're right. But I'm always suffering this time of year--it's got to be the dang ragweed. Anyway, I had to visit the big city VA, and they asked all the usual questions--am I congested, lightheaded, etc.? I just said no to each one, but of course, when you have allergies, you ARE congested, lightheaded, etc. I didn't want to have to give a long explanation, so I just gave no answers. I'm sure it's not COVID. I'd know by now!!

Hope you had your flu shot. I got mine first chance. Free through the VA. I thank my stars I put in eight years of Navy time. VA care is mostly marvelous.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

I mean, I gave "no" answers. Not the same thing as "no answers," which would mean staying silent. They wouldn't have let me enter the building, in that case!

musicman1979 said...

There were lots of great songs that you chose here for this blog post!
I was surprised at how good the Sally Sweetland "Autumn Rhapsody" song was--it is classic Winterhalter. She is a really good singer, which you would not know from her best known work, singing background vocals on Eddie Fisher's big hit "I'm Walking Behind You." She also sang with the Sauter-Finegan's Orchestra ("The Moon Is Blue"), plus she did a budget label cover of "Doggie in the Window" for Prom with Enoch Light!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXz1BDKCngI

Although Barry Frank is no Frankie Laine, he does a great job giving us the feel and mannerisms of Frankie's original, right down to the vapor voice that was featured in Frankie's original (original singer maybe)??

The Kitty Kallen "Long Lonely Nights" was superb. I actually prefer this version over Bobby Vinton's hit cover of the tune in the mid-'60's on Epic. It is surprising that arranger Sid Feller re-used the marimnba sound that Paul Weston used on my all-time favorite hit from his wife, Jo Stafford, "You Belong To Me." Have you checked out "One Grain of Sand" on YouTube? Kitty cut this tune with Bob Crewe before blood clots on her lungs forced her to retire and move to Mexico.

The Mitch Miller "A Very Special Love" is one of my favorite instrumentals from him in the style of "Song For A Summer Night." I acutally prefer the side you posted with the sax solo over the vocal version on the flip side. Got my 45 for 25 Cents at a local now-closed record store here where I live in the Summer of 1998.

Great choice from Vic Damone! I have it on a Harmony LP called Vic Damone Sings. it's pretty basic and maybe not classic Burt and Hal, yet musically it is a great side that should have been a big hit--I could just hear this in my mind's eye on the traditional Pop oldies station I listened to when I was 10 years of age in 1989!!

You picked out some great ones from Steve and Eydie's peak years at hit makers in the mid-'60's. You can tell which sides were marked for hits--those sides have double-tracked vocals and edgier arrangements for Top 40 airplay, while the flip sides were done in Steve and Eydie's normal traditional Pop vocal sound. "All The Way Home" and "More" from the two posted here are great examples.

A fun fact: most all of Steve and Eydie's Columbia hits after "Go Away Little Girl" and "Blame It On the Bossa Nova" that cracked the Top 40 never made it onto LP, not even on a Harmony budget label LP! "Walking Proud", in its soundalike version did make it onto a Hit Records Current Hits LP in '63. That song is a great lost gem from Steve, while "Poor Little Rich Girl" had the bones to be a really good tune, yet the vapor voice throughout the tune kind of makes it average. I can thank my late Nana for providing me my copy of the record in 1989.

It may take me a few more spins for me to come up with a good opinion of "Tunnel of Love" For years, it was one of my least played Doris Day cuts, being that is on two LP's of hers that I have in my collection.

The Pat Boone cut is one of my favorites--one of the few tunes that allowed him to share his faith in Christ to a wider audience. I did get a better copy of this record a few months ago.

The Georgia Gibbs selection reminds me of a Patti Page hit from the early-1950's called "Conquest" and is a combination musically of that number and one of her Nibs' later hits of the decade, "Kiss Me Another" and Caterina Valente's "The Breeze And I." It is good, but i would rather listen to Chi Coltane's hit of the same name from 1972.

overall, great lineup of songs! Your trip to flip-through heaven produced some great gems here. Thanks for sharing.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

musicman1979,

I'm glad you enjoyed, and thanks for the review! And I listened to the 1966 Kallen side, which is great--it honestly sounds like a Bacharach-David number. I'm not overly crazy about "Tunnel of Love," either, but it's very interesting in its practically-r&r sound. I thought Day did a terrific "Two Hearts" version, too--that Otis Williams number covered by a host of performers. An important early R&B/rock and roll side--there's a good budget sound-alike rendition on Gateway, which may feature Buddy Lucas' band. Re Harmony and Steve and Eydie, I believe I did see a couple of their post-"Go Away..." teen hits on a Harmony reissue, but the mystery is why I didn't grab it when I saw it. Maybe the condition was poor. But, you're correct--those great Brill Building Steve and/or Eydie tracks should have seen the light of LP, but there was such snobbery back then toward any and all non-"standards." And the Boone 45 was one of my first Pat sides, and it was my introduction to the tune, which (as you may know) was also called "Gospel Boogie." And I'm mystified by the virtual sound-alike gospel number called "Gloryland Jubilee," which I believe was written after the better-known number. I posted the Blackwood Brothers' superb version of "Jubilee" a couple years ago, and I just revived the link, which had expired: https://workupload.com/file/yzwbNbm4TXh Sorry to hear that Kitty Kallen's career was cut short--I didn't know that. Again, thanks for the input!

musicman1979 said...

This might have been the Steve and Eydie Harmony LP that you saw. Steve's 3 Harmony compilation album's have "Go Away Little Girl" and some post-1963 Columbia solo singles, yet no "Don't Be Afraid Little Darlin' (the great Mann and Weil-penned follow-up to "Go Away Little Girl")"Walking Proud", or "Poor Little Rich Girl". It was also the same with Eydie's Columbia solo hits from that same period--no "Don't Try To Fight It Baby", "Can't Get Over the Bossa Nova", etc. I think they must have had a say in what songs appeared on their compilation albums.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185039956175?hash=item2b153da8cf:g:U-gAAOSwxexhOV1j

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Yes, I think that's the one! Thanks. I have no idea why I didn't buy it, except for possible condition issues. Otherwise, it would have been a must-have.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Oh, and "Walkin' Proud" is probably my favorite Lawrence side. And I love the Hit Records sound-alike that you mentioned--it's unusually good. The two Goffin-King tracks on "Something's Gotta Give" are wonderful--as if often the case with Carole's pre-solo numbers, the bridges (or I guess they've come to be called "middle eights") are sublime.

HitRecordsofNashville said...

Seems like nobody mentioned the neat drawing of Steve Lawrence on the Columbia label. They only released a few Johnny Mathis and Andy Williams, (I believe) were the others.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

HitRecordsofNashville,

Yes, it is cool. And I've seen the Williams pic but not the Mathis, I don't think...