Saturday, October 31, 2020

Frankie presents... Horrifying Halloween instrumentals!

 




I found this fine Frankenstein monster collectible at (where else?) Goodwill, and I had a pair to choose from.  Tough choice, as both were in nearly dead perfect shape.  But I grabbed this guy, and he grabbed back, and so I knew I had the right one.

He's not all that happy with the design--he thinks it makes him look like Fred Flintstone at Halloween. And heads are for storing brains, not cookies, he insists.  Frankly (get it?), I think the real problem is that I keep calling him "Frank-Tin-Stein," which must get get his stiches in a knot, but my needling is purely affectionate.  He needn't get hairy about it.  That's my job:

.

But enough seriousness.  Today's slaylist features mostly resurrected sections--er, selections--with only three numbers new to the blog, but you get mostly new rips and a higher bitrate, so it's a good deal, I think.  (Well, of course I'd think so.)  We get three versions of Morton Gould's The Deserted Ballroom, including Gould's own solo piano recording from 1940; the Lawrence Welk orchestra playing Hush... Hush Sweet Charlotte; Ferde Grofe's Cloudburst in the original 1931-or-so orchestration (in which version it makes ideal spook music); a second dose of Grofe, courtesy of his 1924 arrangement of The Hoodoo Man; Wayne King performing the theme from 1957's Man of a Thousand Faces, which is Chopin's famous E-minor Prelude, as ruined by Frank Skinner; three Dark Shadows selections; a third helping of Grofe with Trick or Treat; a second Gould piece--a wonky number called Robot; Vic (The Addams Family theme) Mizzy with his theme for William Castle's The Night Walker, as performed by Sammy Kaye's orchestra; and the Ferrante and Teicher composition Try Again, which was used as the music for Rod Serling's 1973-74 radio program, Zero Hour (aka, Hollywood Radio Theatre), on which Mission: Impossible's Peter Lupus got five days of starring roles.  Among many, many other TV actors famous at the time.

Speaking of spooks, I served as one in the Navy.  I don't know if that term is still used for those of us who did spy work.  

Since the holiday is a classic rite of reversal, I think it's fitting that I wish you all a !ИƎƎWO⅃⅃AH YꟼꟼAH

Mummy back, if not totally chilled.


DOWNLOAD: Horrifying Halloween Instrumentals, 2020


The Deserted Ballroom (Morton Gould)--Montovani and His Orch., 1956
Satan and the Polar Bear (Rose)--David Rose and His Orch., 1957
Deserted Ballroom (Gould)--Elliot Everett and His Orch. (Varsity VLP6041)
I Want to Dance with You (Robert Cobert)--The Charles Randolph Grean Sounde, 1970
Quentin's Theme (Cobert)--Mantovani, 1969
Try Again (Theme from Hollywood Radio Theatre)--Ferrante and Teicher, 1973
Robot (Morton Gould)--Hal Herzon and His Orch.  (No idea on the date)
The Night Walker (Vic Mizzy)--Sammy Kaye and His Orchestra, 1965
Trick or Treat (Ferde Grofe)--Andre Kostelanetz, 1976
Theme from Man of a Thousand Faces (Chopin, Adapted by Frank Skinner)--Wayne King Orch., 1958
Cloudburst (Grand Canyon--Suite; Grofe)--Paul Whiteman and His Concert Orch., 1932
Fire Dance (Manuel de Falla)--Hollywood Bowl Orch., c. Eugene Goossens, 1928
Funeral March (Chopin, Op. 35)--Mark Andrews, pipe organ solo, 1928
The Hoodoo Man (Nacio Herb Brown, Arr. Grofe)--Paul Whiteman and His Orch., 1924
In the Hall of the Mountain King (Grieg)--Victor Symphony Orch., 1926
Hush... Hush Sweet Charlotte (Frank De Vol-Mack David)--Lawrence Welk, 1965
March of the Marionettes (Gounod)--Ray Bohr, pipe organ, 1956
Deserted Ballroom (Gould)--Moron Gould, piano, 1940.
Haunted House Polka--The Cavaliers (RCA Victor 53-9327)


Lee

5 comments:

Diane said...

"Satan and the Polar Bear"? Frankly (haha!), I don't know how you find this stuff, Lee.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lee, Happy Halloween. Terrific selections and quality as always. I am all alone tonight as we closed off the building because of COVID 19. A lot of the city is starting to shut down starting Monday.We are known as the Halloween House because of all the decorations on several floors in the front house. Alas this year, nothing. I got really scared because you changed shapes, spooky... I hope, you return to normal soon. I have fallen in love with most of William Castle's films and have collected them. My favorite is of course House on Haunted Hill, nice to see the colorized version. My second is The Night Walker, which I also have the mp3 soundtrack to. I was very very little when Dark Shadows came on. One of my elder sisters and I watched it. Although towards the end it was not as good, but still I watched it. I only missed 2 eps. during its five year run. They put out at one time 4 cds of music, I had them all at one time. So it is nice to hear some tracks again.
Well I am really scared now, your changing shapes and this terrifying music. Well time to watch a Holleween tradition since my childhood, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. Now that is really scary... Bryan

Anonymous said...

Lee, I just got this: Mummy back, if not totally chilled. I got so scared from your totally great collection I missed this pun. I have to re-read your entire post. What else did I miss? Bryan

Sky Raven said...

Nice collection Lee, thanks as always. Have a spooky Halloween. Burt

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Thanks, everyone. Diane, that weird track is contained on an otherwise ordinary David Rose LP. That's how a lot of these things pop up--as the lone offbeat track on a given album. Byran, Sorry to hear about the shutdown, though we should probably be in one where I live, too. It's spreading like crazy in most of my state. Yes, Dark Shadows became a lot less fun toward the end, which I blame on Dan Curtis, who didn't seem to understand his own show very well (judging from the two awful DS movies and that ridiculous revival series). Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein is, of course, considered the greatest horror comedy ever, which it is. Burt, You have a spooky Halloween, too! For some reason, today's weather is a major step up from what we've been having--there's sunshine, reasonably warm temps, and not a drop of rain. Not that I'm complaining. We had enough Halloween weather the entire last week!