Wednesday, October 28, 2020

The Haunted Victrola, 2020



My Halloween shellac post from last year, for anyone who may have missed it.  I was listening to my rips, and I was impressed (in a humble way, of course), and I thought I'd give this a second, um, life.  (Can I say that during Halloween?)

Carl Fenton's Spike Jones-esque recordings of Animal Fair and Go 'Long, Mule aren't Halloween offerings of the traditional type, but their treatments are so over-the-top nuts, I think they belong here.  Er, in this playlist, I mean.  Edward MacDowell's wonderful 1884 piano piece Witches' Dance (Hexentanz) starts the hearse rolling, and Leopold Godowsky could sure play the piano.  From a Brunswick 78 made in either 1921 or 1922.  Eduard (no relation to Gustav, afaik) Holst's Dance of the Demon is also superbly performed, though it took two guys to manage it--Victor Arden and Phil Ohman, piano partners who became bandleaders.  For some reason, I gave the Polydor label Brownies' Parade a probable recording date of 1928 the last time I posted it, and I must have had a reason, though I can't remember it now.   Maybe clues from a vintage publication that's no longer on line.  It's driving me mad, trying to remember.  Or, to borrow from a Spike Jones record, it's driving me sane.  Cool electrical-era sound quality.  Chopin's Funeral March, played by Prince's Band in 1909, is by Chopin.  I know this, because the label actually lists "Chopin" under Chopin's Funeral March.  It's from his 1839 Piano Sonata No. 2, and imagine how rich his descendants would be if  there were royalties coming on the march.  Murder is a very clever Byron (The Vamp) Gay number about the way jazz bands were murdering "wonderful" songs--totally destroying them, but in an irresistible way.  Sophisticated concept, excellent melody--why is poor Byron forgotten by song buffs?  Big Movie Show in the Sky has lyrics by an anything-but-forgotten lyricist--Johnny Mercer.  Not his best work, and there's something that really creeps me out about the song and this performance.  Which only means that it works all the more as a Halloween track.  Ironic, no?

Halloween is a rite of reversal.  Good is bad, bad is good.  Kids chow down on stuff that's bad for them--sugary stuff packed in rip-off "snack" sizes.  Using a holiday as an excuse to charge more--that's totally American!  It drives me sane, just thinking about it.

Which Hazel is a clever, if slightly oversold (by Al Herman) comic number composed by Abner Silver (real name, Silberman), with lyrics that include, "The guy who wrote Witch Hazel is in a padded cell," and here's that theme, 45 years before Napoleon XIV hit the charts.  That line also places the song in the song-which-refers-to-itself category, the kind of self-reference which normally happens in songs about dances (Charleston, Locomotion, Monster Mash, The Creep, etc.).  Strange--and very Halloween.  And how to describe John Tilley's The Loch Ness Monster, from 1934?  Or John Tilley, for that matter?  I hear a strong Monty Python edge to/in this satirical piece, recorded in England--I suppose it's the cheery but cynical tone, the sophisticated references, and the mild misogyny--that, and more.  The evidence is all there--the Loch Ness monster claim was known all along to be a hoax (and a tourist lure) by thinking people, and note how Tilley makes fun of the Nessie believers' habit of searching for clues--any clues--of past Nessie sightings.  And the Nessie nonsense continues to this day.  The complicated but cool Abominable Science! makes a great case for 1933's King Kong as the main inspiration for the Nessie legend we know.  If that sounds unlikely on the surface (no pun intended), it won't after you've read what the authors have to say.

Delirium is a sophisticated instrumental by Red Nichols pianist Arthur Schutt, and speaking of delirium, I originally labeled the track Derilium.  Which sounds like a substance H.G. Wells would have made up to get his characters to Mars.  The magnificent novelty Ah-Ha! (Sidney Clare-James V. Monaco) shows up three times in our list, though I didn't have time to rip the best version of all--the 1925 Grofe arrangement for Paul Whiteman,  But it's very possible that's up someplace at the blog.  We close with 1916's Spooky Spooks (great sound effects), and Zez Confrey's Greenwich Witch, played by Confrey himself, and brilliantly.

To the treats!  All ripped from shellac housed in my cluttered Media Room.  And it's interesting that the new Blogger retains the HTML versions of older posts in their original form--which is to say, not in the extremely annoying rectangular clump that shows up for the new posts.  Since the new Blogger is forcing us to do more HTML work, I suppose it just had to make the task harder on the eyes.  I don't recommend that children trick-or-treat this year (the notion that it can be done safely is too bizarre to even contemplate), but otherwise I'd be recommending that kids considering going as New Blogger.  "Here!  Take all the candy!!!!"  (Door slams, porch lights go off.)




DOWNLOAD: The Haunted Victrola is Back!









Witches' Dance (Hexentanz) (MacDowell)--Leopold Godowsky, Piano (1921 or 1922)
Dance of the Demon (Eduard Holst)--Victor Arden-Phil Ohman, Piano Duet (1922)
Animal Fair--Carl Fenton's Orch. w. vocal chorus, 1924
Go 'Long, Mule--Same
Chopin's Funeral March--Prince's Band, 1909
Brownies' Parade (K. Noack)--Polydor Brass Band Orch., c. Joseph Snaga, c. 1928?
Me-ow--One-step (Mel B. Kaufmann)--Joseph C. Smith's Orch., 1918
Magic Eyes (Brown-Fiorito)--Oriole Orchestra, 1923
Murder (Byron Gay)--Plantation Jazz Orchestra, 1920
Mystery!--Medley--Paul Biese and His Novelty Orch., 1919
Jabberwocky--Joseph Samuels' Jazz Band, 1921
Ah-Ha!--Freddie "Schnickelfritz" Fisher and His Orch. w. vocal chorus, 1940
Which Hazel (Abner Silver)--Al Herman, 1921
Eccentric Rag (J. Russell Robinson)--Oriole Orchestra, 1924
Big Movie Show in the Sky (Dolan-Mercer)--Blue Barron and His Orch., v: Bobby Beers and the Choir, 1949
Ah-Ha!--Hollywood Dance Orch., v: John Ryan, 1925
Ah-Ha!--Oriole Orchestra, v: Mark Fisher, 1925
Midnight Fire Alarm (Lincoln)--Prince's Orchestra, 1920
The Loch Ness Monster (Tilley)--John Tilley, 1934
Delirium (Schutt)--Carl Fenton's Orch., 1927
Spooky Spooks (Claypoole)--Prince's Band, 1916
Greenwich Witch (Confrey)--Zez Confrey, Piano Solo, 1922



Lee


17 comments:

UncleB said...

Crazy Blues Changed Music Forever - Great fun. Good thing this was "re-shared," as I DID somehow miss it last year.

What we need about now, a bit of levity.

Great pumpkins, Charlie Brown. What next? What's that, Snoopy? There WON'T be the annual airing of the Peanuts gang on TV this Hallowe'en season?

Yup. It's true.

Booooo!!!!!

Find any creepy kooky or suitably horrorific tchotchkes out there in Lee Land lately?

It has to be some years ago that those (photos of said dust collector doo dads that is) have been shared here...

UncleB said...

Great fun. Good thing this was "re-shared," as I DID somehow miss it last year.

What we need about now, a bit of levity.

Great pumpkins, Charlie Brown. What next? What's that, Snoopy? There WON'T be the annual airing of the Peanuts gang on TV this Hallowe'en season?

Yup. It's true.

Booooo!!!!!

Find any creepy kooky or suitably horrorific tchotchkes out there in Lee Land lately?

It has to be some years ago that those (photos of said dust collector doo dads that is) have been shared here...

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Hi, Uncle B.

I haven't found much in the way of Halloween knickknacks, as the St. Vincent de Paul thrift calls them, though tonight I scored a marvelous Frankenstein monster tin, which I'll be showing in my next post. I did my usual too-many-photographs (to get just the right one)--maybe seven. Totally unnecessary, but I guess I must have been a professional photographer in a past life. Come to think of it, my parents were going to go into the photography biz, which is why the basement windows were painted black (to create a darkroom). They had a Coca-Cola cooler that would likely fetch some bucks today--it was for chemical storage. I have vague memories of that--and, meanwhile, my Top 40 memory is fairly sharp. Just the way my brain orders memories, I guess. Anyway, Frankie will be making his appearance tomorrow, though of course Frankenstein/Frankie actually refers to Victor Frankenstein, not the monster. I've always wondered when folks started calling the monster by that name (and I think I even have a book that covers the evolution of Mary Shelly's novel from stage plays to movies, none of which to date, afaik, have even tried to conform to her brilliant book). Anyway, Frankenstein is now the monster, so why fight it? (And I wouldn't want to get in a brush with Frankie.) Hope you like the set--I figured some were new to it. I mean, naturally, I expect people to know ALL that happens at my blog, which is only reasonable. But, seriously, enjoy!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

And I heard that about the annual airing. Problem is, in our culture, art is for profit. So it must never return to the public. It's why Public Domain is a dead concept. If someone can still squeeze a nickel out of something...

In our corporatocracy, we are consumers first, second, third, last. Rinse and repeat.

UncleB said...

" Crazy Blues Changed Music Forever - " on that posting was a copy/paste error, in case it wasn't oblivious. Was having a bear of a time with getting this posted. CAPTCHA nonsense. Blame my wonky connection. Maybe it's bandwidth issues with the gazillion users out there on the WWW "$treaming" old animated holiday shows..........

The NY times has an article on that Mamie Smith tune...

nytimes.com/2020/08/08/opinion/sunday/crazy-blues-mamie-smith.html

UncleB said...

"Frankenstein" vs. "Frankenstein's monster" . . .

Po-tay-to / Po-TOT-oh...?

Some say it don't matter what we call 'im.

Us culture vultures do not.

Corporatocracy, kleptocracy, fearocracy... Take your pick. Bobbin' for apples in the New Normal era... Slippery slopes. Best stick to the music...!

Happy Halloween to all, whatever it might be! (Even if it's lots of super "Clearance sales" --- already...?!)

Lee Hartsfeld said...

I'd prefer not getting advice on how to blog. Thanks. Quick question--what are you seeing when you comment? What hoops do you have to jump through? I don't want to make commenting too complicated, but I can't leave things unmoderated, because then I get swamped with these bizarre comments that read like spam but aren't. Other bloggers seem not to get them, so lucky me, I guess.

Ernie said...

Happy Halloween to you, Lee! Thanks for all the spooky music! You know what's even scarier? The election is next week!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

I know. Halloween makes for a good escape this time around. An escape FROM the madness...

Happy Halloween to you, too!

siys said...

Waited all month for this. Thank you so much. Wonderful!!
Stevo In Yr Stereo of Nightmare City Halloween

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Siys--You're welcome. Coming up: Some instrumentals for the season, if I can finish the rips on time!

Thanks for the nice words.

Sky Raven said...

Thanks for these gems Lee - - I also missed this last year. "The Loch Ness Monster" was very unusual, but I think the "Ah-Ha!"s were my favorite. Burt

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Burt--Thanks for dropping by. And the 1925 Paul Whiteman recording of "Ah-Ha!" (the best version, imo) is still up at this 2016 post, if you want to give it a listen: https://musicyouwont.blogspot.com/2016/10/halloween-part-3-buwa-ha-haaaaa.html

Anonymous said...

Happy HalLEEween, Lee !!
Byron in the Buff here, enjoying your haunted victrola sides
for my annual perrenial of fun records from your supernice collection of sorts, Thanks again as always and hope this finds you in good spirits !
Byron in Los Angeles

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Hi, Byron! Great to hear from you. I'll hopefully have some Halloween instrumental tracks ready for tomorrow, plus some older pieces by me. I hadn't listened to them in years, and some of them halfway impressed me. Hope you're having a great Halloween!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Note to Doc: I found a comment by you that I hadn't approved--it was in my comments folder and maybe didn't show up in my regular email. I just now saw it, and I approved it, but it doesn't seem to have gone up. Very strange. If I inadvertently deleted your comment, my apologies!

drizzz said...

Me-ow, one of my favorite tunes from the Little Rascals!