Friday, January 08, 2021

Lowrey Brings Joy to the World (Lowrey 802219; 1982), or Old Lame Sines






I checked Ernie's blog, and I found no sign of this LP, so I figured I was good to go.  When I'd completed my rip, I did a recheck, and I saw that Ernie had posted this in 2018.  All I can figure is that I misspelled "Lowrey" on the first search.  But... this is a fabulous, fun, delightfully weird, and historically significant share, so... here's my rip of Lowrey Brings Joy to the World ('tis the season to be humble).

This is from 1982, which maybe takes us into the digital area, and I have to wonder if some digital sampling (of a not-advanced type) is happening on some of these numbers.  Two organs are played on this Lowrey Christmas promo--the Cotillion Model D-575 and The Lowrey Holiday Model D-350.  It should be noted that Pete Townshend used a much earlier Lowery--a 1968 Berkshire Deluxe TBO-1--to create what sounded like a sequenced synthesizer on Baba O'Riley.  A repeated-note feature was employed, as shown in this YouTube video.  Electronic organs, which date back to just before 1900, are the obvious ancestors of synthesizers, but (in my tech-limited mind), I've always considered them the original synthesizers, since the things had to generate waveforms, right?  By one means or another, they had to create artificial sounds.  In fact, doesn't sound synthesis date all the way back to the telephone?  Voices don't literally travel through wires, any more than music literally swells up out of record grooves.

Anyway, I'm old enough to remember when the sounds on this LP sounded stilted but not comical (that took a few decades).  They sounded, well, modern.  And you've got to admit that a number of the voices--including the notes produced by the "Solo, Orchestral and String Symphonizers" (to quote from the notes)--were likely sampled.  "Symphonizing" is obviously an elaborate, if cheesy-sounding, manipulation of a waveform or waveforms, so if much of this sounds like a cheap synth of today, it's only because the same sounds can be accomplished more simply and within a far smaller space.  Notes: "Choir introduces the unique sound of human-like voices singing in perfect harmony"--a sound which starts out the LP, and I could swear Lowrey sampled a vintage vocoder.  To call the effect unconvincing is an act of kindness, but it's sure cool in a "Dear God, that probably sounded cutting edge in 1982" type of way.  I remember being highly annoyed by electric organ rhythm effects back in the day, and, while I haven't grown to love them (in fact, they have me appreciating my Casio WK-3800's way better built-in beats), I've come to regard them as pricelessly hilarious.  This album is like Christmas Day on the Love Boat.

The occasional cool voice is followed by ultra-cheesy ones, and rarely is the fake percussion remotely convincing, suggesting that sampling was a very new art in 1982.  But the frequent juggling of voices adds a lot to these tracks--it makes for fun, often ill-advised mood changes mid-track.  The players are all very skilled, of course, but, all these years later, they sound like they're messing around on modern stocking-stuffer make-your-own-music (Ages 3-10) toys.  Exception: the basic, classic Lowrey organ voices, as heard, for example, on Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree.  Just take away 80 percent of the special voices, and you have some superb-sounding organ--nowadays, a sound easily sampled and offered in a keyboard-only unit (with an little add-on box for registration effects).  

Verdict: Some awesome(ly dreadful, in a fun way) vintage effects mixed with the classic Lowrey sound, all made hilarious by percussion on the level of the effects I used to create for my own homemade comedy tapes--such as, putting a mike inside a shoebox and rapping on the outside of it.  I just can't believe that, at the age of 25, I would have found these tracks modern-sounding.  But I did.  Because nothing changes faster than modern.  Even retro evolves.  In the 1920s, everyone was making fun of the pop culture of 1870-1915, or thereabouts.  Then it was hippies making fun of the 1950s.  Then the 1970s were a hoot.  Now, I guess we're at the 1980s.  I've lost track.

Hey, an almost cool effect at the end of Auld Lang Syne: a synth-sax sound which quickly degenerates into that horrible synth effect used on TV police show themes of the 1980s.  I think I heard some pitch swerve.  


DOWNLOAD: Lowrey Brings Joy to the World (Lowrey 802219; 1982)






Lee


18 comments:

Buster said...

This appears to be the cheez-whizziest of the cheesy organ records, so I may decline the opportunity to listen. No offense, of course. That said, I did very much enjoy your always amusing commentary!

Which does raise a question - what is your least favorite instrumental sound or effect? You mentioned the whining synthesizer effects in TV show themes. Any others? I personally hate wucka-wucka guitar chords and the sound of the electric piano, both popular in the 70s.

Diane said...

It's amazing to me how many organ manufacturers also produced records. Maybe they gave them away to buyers like cheerleading -- "Look, you too can play like this after you've owned this product for 4 days!" I have several such LPs. But this one ranks high on cheese factor, especially those cover graphics. And the record's "human-like" voices? They do indeed evoke the "human-like" emotions of "The Love Boat." Perfect for the Fake World in which we live today.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Buster,

Wucka-wucka guitar chords drive me nuts, too, and I can live without the electric piano. Electronic drums--Disco's gift from Hell--drive me insane, and that horrible electronic-drum sound in "You Can Ring My Bell" had me wanting to vacate my species. Wikipedia: "(You Can Ring...) is noted for its innovative use of the Synare electronic drum." Innovative?? What an insult to genuine creativity. Oh, and whatever that whale-talk noise was on "Muskrat Love," a record which should be banned from the history of pop music. Once upon a time, I couldn't stand steel guitar.

Diane,

I agree re "The Love Boat." But I loved that show, as fake and cliched and predictable as it was. It was just so well done. It was pure formula, but it had to be hard to write for, because it stuck so strictly to same. Everything had to fit, and fit exactly. I thought it was expertly made trash. And, yes, I do think these things were a learn-to-play-in-one-week type of scam, since these organs were packed with those useless one-finger chord features and other layered gimmicks, none of which could possibly work unless they stuck to the primary triads in a given key (and even that would require some musical knowledge on the part of the one-finger performer), so... Yeah, it was "Buy this organ, sound like these masters." Just like the choral demo recordings. Amateur church singers listening to Nashville pros and thinking, "That's easy." As if.

Ernie said...

Glad you shared this Lee. Your commentary makes it more than worth it. :)

rntcj said...

Hi!

Thanx for this one. Going by people's comments may NOT listen to this one soon... But LUV Hammond B-3/organ sounds. Wasn't a big "Love Boat" fan, preferred "Get Smart" (family still "quotes" the show), "Hogan's Heroes", "That Girl", "Gilligan's Island" etc.

Cheers!
Ciao! For now.
rntcj

Diane said...

Lee, you didn't like even Alvino Rey's "talking" guitar? Used to hear that on the old "King Family" TV show, which I think was on right before "The Lawrence Welk Show." We had to have the station tuned-in early; my Grandma wasn't missing a minute of her beloved one-unna-two-unna guy.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

mtcj,

I love the Hammond B3 sound, too. I'd have loved an LP of holiday songs on a B3. Too many special effects on this LP, including the worst kind of rhythm sounds. And most of the basic voices/patches seem lacking. Maybe it's just that synthesizers function so much better in the special-sounds department. But the LP is interesting in that it dates from the start of the digital age.

Diane,

We never watched the King Family--not that I remember, anyway. I listened to Rey's "talking" guitar on Youtube, and... ugh! That gets old in a hurry. Rey's guitar brings back memories of listening to "Rusty in Orchestraville," parts of which scared me as a kid.

Diane said...

I just found a vintage copy of "Rusty in Orchestraville" last week! Must clean it and listen soon.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

It's cool! Very educational. I'm glad I grew up with it--I think my brother and I used to request it, along with Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite. It dates back to 78-album days--1940s, I think? Good find! Occasionally, I encounter the 12-inch LP, but never in decent shape.

Diane said...

I also found this one at the same time: "Sparky's Magic Piano." Was it a series of some kind?

A man for whom Christ died said...

Lee,
Thanks, I think, haven't gotten too far into it yet, though. What in the world, is that "voice" saying on cut one? Love a B-3 as well, my favorite organ of all time. I'd still love to hear again (maybe I've still got it 'round here somewhere) that organ on An Organ And Chimes Christmas, the album we were discussing a few weeks ago. More later, maybe LOL, love and prayin' for ya!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Callcast: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

rntcj said...

Hi!

Lee & Diane do NOT recognize TV Shows you're discussing, other than "Lawrence Welk", but will ask Mom as parents grew up in US. Also, forgot another TV FAV "Beverley Hillbillies".

Cheers!
Ciao! For now.
rntcj

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Diane,

Yes, apparently the Sparky album (1948) was a follow-up to "Rusty" (1946). And the producer of both albums created Bozo the Clown!

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1994-01-17-ca-12755-story.html

Lee Hartsfeld said...

mtcj,

I only vaguely remember "The King Family Show"--I mostly remember Tina Cole, who sang on the show and who starred as Robbie's wife on "My Three Sons." I had a crush on her!

Josh,

I have absolutely no idea what that "voice" is saying! It's used on another track, also, and that one is all garble, too!

Buster said...

Lee - I read your answer to Diane to say that Bozo the Clown produced the Rusty album. Which I would have believed.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Buster--Ha! But I think it's a great recording for kids. I'm sure that, were I to listen to it now, it would quickly get on my last nerve. I do recall being pretty spooked by some of the "voices."

I wonder how many decades that stayed in print, because I'm sure the 12" LP my parents played was us was circa 1962. Wow--I just checked Discogs, and I was right on the money--1962! The site gives no year for the 10" issue, though.

Buster said...

I've always avoided them; the "Appoved by Bozo" seal has never enticed me. But at least one of them came out as a 78 set, so they'd date back a ways.

Anonymous said...

Away In A Manager "voice" singalong lyrics...one line anyways, "Oooo PoooPee Kaa" 😂

(sorry for the lateness of this comment, just dug this out of my download collection for the new Christmas season)