Saturday, May 25, 2019

Top 6 Hits, or Music for Those Who Think Young (Startime 1145)--Barbara Ann, Travelin' Man, more!







Something--I don't know what--suggests that this EP was somehow connected with Pepsi.  It's subtle, but it's there, if you look closely for it.  What I don't get is the blank box and lines on the back cover--who was supposed to fill those in?  The recipient?  The seller?  Were these fake-hit EPs supposed to be given as gifts, along with a bottle of Pepsi?  Why is the girl on the cover hugging an LP?  Didn't she know you're not supposed to touch the grooves?

When this photo was snapped, did the photographer say, "Now, look as unnatural as you possibly can.  There.  Great!"?

And since these were for those who "think young," did you have to submit proof, when sending for these, that you thought young?  How would one go about verifying such a thing?  Fascinating questions, all.

So, I thought it would be neat if the four titles in common with the last post (Barbara Ann, Travelin' Man, Raindrops, and Stand By Me) turned out to be the same versions, but they're not.  Which is cool, either way.  It means that someone besides Pickwick was doing fake hits in 1961.  So far, I've discovered nothing about the Startime label, except that it was named Startime.  That much I know.

These versions are pretty decent, with the Valiants' Barbara Ann livelier than the version by the Essex (last post).  I seriously doubt these Valiants are any of the "name" Valiants found at Discogs, such as the group that recorded with Billy Storm, but who can say.  Hm.  "Art work furnished courtesy of Pepsi-Cola Co."  Again, a subtle clue that this EP was somehow, in some way, connected with Pepsi.








DOWNLOAD:  Top 6 Hits (Startime 1145)







Boll Weevil Song--Roy Robinson
Barbara Ann--The Valiants
The Writing on the Wall--Monty Brooks
Travelin' Man--Scott Alan
Raindrops--Chuck Byron
Stand by Me--Floyd Williams

Top 6 Hits (Startime 1145)

7 comments:

Buster said...

I don't recall this promo, which would have come out when I was 11 or so. I wonder if it was a freebie with a six-pack of Pepsi. But why would Pepsi use fake hits? Or maybe Startime was trying to co-opt the Pepsi theme for legitimacy's sake. But then why the blanks on the back?

My guess is that it was a giveaway that had more than one record with the same cover (collect 'em all). But it seems awfully dumb to do it that way.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

But that appears to be the way they did it--all the covers are identical. You'd think the Pepsi-Cola Co. could have afforded more than a single, generic EP cover. Cheapskates!

Maybe part of thinking young is thinking cheap.

rev.b said...

The first thing I thought when I saw the cover was 'I've joined the Pepsi Generation!' Agreed, probably a collect them all promo. Lord, I could see that being an obsession, trying to get a complete collection all these years later. Glad to at least be able the hear this one, thanks Lee.

Diane said...

I have a Dr Pepper record! From the '60s. Will start digging for it. I know what a completist you are. (And I'm sure you'd want to include Pepsi competitors, just to keep things fair.)

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Rev. B,

Without consciously trying to get a complete set--just grabbing what becomes available--I've ended up with five of these things so far. For all I know, I have them all. I'll put up some more when my new PC is up and running!

Diane,

Thanks! And I do like to keep my obscure-EP coverage as balanced as possible.

TallPaulInKy said...

It was a Pepsi promotion and there was a series of about six disks only the records were different. The covers were the same. The picture was from a Pepsi print ad
http://www.adclassix.com/ads/61pepsicola.htm

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Thanks for the link. Yes, I'd known these had identical covers--all with blank lines for the titles! Talk about cheap....

There was crossover with Discount Disc, a Pickwick label, and so I assume Pickwick was providing the Pepsi promotional EPs. I'm thinking there may have been an EP devoted to the Twist, with different cover art, but I'm probably confusing that with something else. Thanks again.