Thursday, June 25, 2020

Living Guitars Shindig (1964): Al Caiola rocks the digs for citybillies



Living Guitars Shindig.  Dig the lack of punctuation--no colon, no dash.  Even RCA Camden preferred to save a penny on its keystrokes.  In case we were new to the concept, the back jacket tells us the definition of "shindig": "An 'uproar,' 'row,' or 'rumpus.'"  Really?  And here I thought a shindig was a quiet, somber affair.  Learn something new every day.

I find the foremost couple oddly posed.  It's as if the young man is asking, "Did you have your temperature taken?"  He wants to make sure before he touches her.  Meanwhile, she's looking a bit puzzled.  Otherwise, good budget label pic.  Of course, this is is a major label budget, so we can expect more professional jacket shots than we'd get with SPC or Broadway, though the guitars on the wall are an odd touch.

Actually, maybe the Rock Roll Hall of Hyp... er, Fame got its cue from this cover--the whole guitars-on-the-walls routine.  Of course, these are likely pretend walls (see the gap between the facade and the floor just right of the center model).  The more I study those red walls, the more hilarious they look--especially in the unnatural angle on the left.  What did RCA Camden use?  Classroom poster board?

I strongly suspect that the Living Guitars (I wonder if it ever did a Halloween LP and called itself the Dying Guitars?) was purely Al Caiola, multi-tracked à la Les Paul, with top studio pros (working at RCA Camden label rates) providing the extra sounds.  But a Google search led me to nothing that either supports or busts my theory, so we'll just have to take my word for it that I'm correct.  And though Caiola was fifteen years older than Elvis (and thus one of the old guard), he rocks more than adequately on these tracks.  He never did anything fancy on these Living Guitar LPs (to generalize from the four or so that I've heard), but you can tell he was an expert player.

"Your favorites are here, set up rhythmically just like the original hits," the notes say.  Songs which "burned up the best-seller charts in the original versions."  That being said, each one of these numbers existed in current (1964) versions.  For instance, in that year Chuck Berry's School Days was covered by The Knights (a Gary Usher group), and Chuck's Maybellene was covered (with some chart success) by Johnny Rivers.  Meanwhile, Hank Thompson did a version of Detour, Lee Curtis and the All-Stars recorded Jezebel, and the 1963 Beatles version of Roll Over Beethoven did big business.  On this LP's shindig version of Roll Over, Caiola perfectly mimics George Harrison's imitation of Berry, which is no surprise, since Al's chops were infinitely above Berry's or the young Harrison's.  (Please send all complaint emails to address provided in my profile.)

Sorry about that.  Now, the thing is, how to designate this sort of LP?  Is is a fake-hits LP?  In my view, not really.  It's just part of the long-standing pop music industry tradition of covering hit material, and covers made up a huge portion of recorded pop music into the rock era.  Elvis, after all, borrowed much of his material and style from day one, and R&B vocal groups frequently recorded old standards (Blue Moon, Blueberry Hill, The White Cliffs of Dover), and some 1960s groups functioned primarily as cover bands (Kingsmen, Ventures), while the Beatles and Beach Boys did plenty of vintage r&r material (Roll Over Beethoven, Money, Barbara Ann, Why Do Fools Fall in Love)... and so on.  The pop cover tradition didn't become something to mock until about the time rock and roll dropped its "and," and folks like Tony Bennett, Kate Smith, Perry Como, Frankie Carle, Benny Goodman, and Billy Vaughan were covering the Woodstock-era Top 40.  They were simply carrying on a tradition, but suddenly it was hilarious.

Similarly, sound-alikes became a "What the heck are these?" sort of thing once the pop-cover era was just a memory.  Gone was the context that made the tradition make sense, so nowadays our natural first response to a sound-alike collection is, "Somebody bought these things?  Why?"  I imagine these budget cover-the-hits collections seem nearly as odd to many folks.  As in, why buy the Living Guitars, when you can go to YouTube and hear the originals?  Well, what about that, RCA Camden?  Anyway, some very fun stuff here, and in glorious mono.  The light green cover came out dark green, and that's mainly because my scanner produced weird color fluctuations in the green that made the jacket border look like... curtains, basically.  So I had to do a crazy degree of cloning.  The cover is actually pretty shiny, but shiny doesn't always register in scans.  Any cover or label meant to reflect light at an angle--well, forget that when you're laying something flat on a piece of glass.  Anyway, shindig on!!

Can't you just hear Frankie saying that to Annette, right before taking off to catch a rear-screen projected wave?




DOWNLOAD: Living Guitars Shindig (1964)










Lee

13 comments:

Ernie said...

And here I thought this was a real photo from an actual Shindig. You're taking all the joy out of this. :( Shindig on!

Buster said...

Based on her body position, the girl seems to be doing the frug. The boy - I don't know what he's doing, but it's never been a good idea to try to dance in tennis shoes. He looks like he's about to fall down.

UncleB né B.B. said...

Shindiggerific.

These "Living" LPs are junk shop staples. Not quite as common as, say, a "Firestone Xmas" LP or something from Longines Symphonette, but...

Not long ago, I picked up an Camden Lounging Guitars LP. It's got a (silver) "foil" cover. From 1963.

Get a load of it (er, or one track off of it anyhow) & see how poorly these puppies photograph, HERE:

http://artworkbymanicmark.blogspot.com/2012/12/big-guitar-big-guitar-sound-living.html

And here the Rockologist "Experts" insist that the FIRST such ("foil") LP cover was Steppenwolf's 1st (Dunhill) ca. '66. Or even (the later) "Wheels of Fire" by Cream (Atco, a double, ca. '68). Psaw.

Funny, I just now noticed something there on the top o' this page - and every "M.Y.(P.)W.H.A.E." page...

This place has a LONGER name.

Look up top, at the "LEE..." LP label (hopefully not a "Dynaflex" pressing...). I see that there's a "new" title to this place. Or new to me, at least...

Music You (Possibly) Won't Hear Anyplace Else (Or Should That Be, "Definitely Won't...")

And people accuse ME of rambling on...?!

Anyhow, I likes it!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Yes, those silver foil covers don't scan well at all. And I've always regretted picking such a long name for my blog, because it's hard for people to remember, and people often get it wrong. I came up with the title on the spur of the moment, and my chief concern was coming up with a unique name. But I always go against convention, and having a too-long blog title is just like me. I got some nice plugs when my blog was new--some newspaper mentions, and a little write-up at CNET, where they spelled my name wrong. Some people want "feld" to be "field," which is understandable but not much fun for getting-my-name-out-there purposes. Whatever I just wrote. I don't spot the Living (or Lounging--funny!) Guitars very often. Dunno why not. I run into all the other "Living" outfits on RCA Camden--even Living Marimbas. Longines and Firestone and Tom Jones and John Gary--yes. My first-ever Living Guitars LP (I think I've only had two, total) contained "Rock Around the Clock" as written, and not as modified as Bill Haley, so that was a revelation. 1970, when early r&r had fallen completely out of style--it was the era of "progressive rock," which I won't offer my opinion of here--and some folks didn't even know what the Haley record sounded like. I have a hilariously wrong version on a dance-class label (Hoctor, maybe). I've since found three or four other versions that follow the sheet music rather than Haley. Haley was looking for his very own "Rock the Joint," and so he turned RATC into a kind of "Rock the Joint, Part 2." I did a past post on the weird, weird history of Haley's big hit, and I went beyond the usual account and gave some actual musical details. (Most pop music journalists are musically unschooled, and it shows, painfully, in their writing.)

Glad you enjoyed the LP! It's a classic of its type. I'm convinced we're hearing a multi-tracked Al Caiola, but the true story of the L. Guitars seems to be a state secret. It's probably simply that RCA regarded its Camden label stuff as tax write-offs and failed to document the label's goings-on. RCA always acted like it was doing customers a huge favor by reselling its tracks at a budget price. Of course, the customers were doing IT a favor.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Oh, and I was referring to the early Camden/RCA Camden LPs, which were primarily reissued sides.

UncleB said...

I hereby nominate ...

I mean, recommend that a "RATC"-a-thon, take place here at MY(P)WHAE(etc.), asap!

Sonny Dae & His Knights = First (& foremost...?)

What say y'all?

(Vote early & vote often!)

UncleB said...

"I did a past post on the weird, weird history of Haley's big hit..."

URL?

(Hit us with a link, Lee!)

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Howdy. Something seems to have happened to that post--namely, it seems to have vanished. I can't say I've ever had a post vanish before, but I do have the zip file I used for the post. The question is, where's the post?

I found a January, 2016 post that refers to a previous post in which I told the RATC story, but it doesn't seem to be there. Totally weird.

What I'll have to do is write a new post using the RATC versions--30 of them! And I have at least five more to add to those. The Sonny Dae isn't in there, though I do have it on a reissue. (I've seen only one original copy of the Dae 78 on eBay, and it had a min. bid of about $1,000!). That should be on YouTube, though. Let me look. Yeah, there are a number of postings, including this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J61wRKVq26k It's not up to Haley's, but I like it. Anyway, give me a day or two to get the RATC versions up. Maybe the original post is still up, only well-hidden. Very, very strange....

UncleB said...

... strange ... ... weird ...

OR . . . .

Some sorta Kopyrite Kop Kaper...?

I don't ever recall there being THAT kinda "issue" here at MY(P)WHAE, but stranger, weirder, odder, more peculiar things have happened on sites "sharing" music...

In any case (or caper, conundrum, etc.) will look forward to the RATCs!

Oh, and, as for the Sunny Dae... It's been out on at least one ("legit" not "P.D.") CD:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Rock-Roll-The-First-50-Years/release/14696501

WHO on earth might've instigated that....??? The plot thickens...

I am sure it's been out on a lot of the putrid P.D. type import CDs that pollute the bins in your local Woolworth's... Wait. It's 2020, NOT 1960...!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Well, examining my group of RATC tracks, it appears I never numbered them for a zip file, and there is no zip file in the folder. This suggest that I had a (ahem) senior moment and INTENDED to put them up... and forgot. That is not outside of the realm of probability.

I wonder if the tracks have been saying bad things about me as they've sat there in a folder, waiting for their day on the blog?

Lee Hartsfeld said...

I mean, "this suggests." I get better at typos as I age. More skilled with each passing year...

Timmy said...

The scan of this rear jacket is way outta whack, ratio-wize... Just sayin'. Thanx for the post!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Hm--the front jacket seems wonky, ratio-wise, too. I have no idea what happened. But glad you enjoyed.