Sunday, July 19, 2020

"Go Ye"--The Crusaders Quartet (Grace Note 7829/7830; approx. 1962)




On my mp3 ID tags, or whatever they're called, I forgot to include the label's matrix numbers--7829 and 7830.  I did, however, include the all-important RITE matrix number that's scratched into the "dead wax," which dates this at approximately 1962.  There appears to have been any number of groups called "The Crusaders Quartet," and this is the Naked City.  (Wait...)  This particular Crusaders Quartet hails from Shipshewana, Indiana, and I bet you couldn't tell "Shipshewana" is an Indian word. The city had a population of 658 in 2010.  It has an Amish and Mennonite museum.  And a big flea market I want to be at, except it's too hot out today.  Here, I mean.  Probably there, too.

These guys being from Shipshewana, we might expect a conservative kind of sound.  And we'd be correct.  No accompaniment, even--a cappella all the way.  And I love hearing traditional hymns sung in a more or less from-the-hymnal fashion, because in church everyone sings the melody in unison--women, in a female range, and the men, in a male range.  "Unison" means "same note," and not "at the same time," as so many folks seem to think.  Even if it's the same note an octave apart, it's still unison.  That is, we don't get to hear four-part harmony in churches, unless there's a choir, and then they're singing someone's Gaither-style arrangement which the church had to pay a user's license to perform, when it could have simply sung from the hymnal for nothing.  And amateur choirs love to tackle arrangements that only sound good when Nashville studio pros are singing them. One of the weirder features of human nature.

These guys are pretty good, and it's a nicely varied playlist.  I've been wanting to put up more African-American gospel, but everything I have in that regard is either available on CD, or available in digital-download form, or both.  However, please regard this quartet's fine version of I Shall Not Be Moved as my tribute to the great John Lewis.

Varied "close" harmony on these tracks, with no set pattern in terms of who does melody duties--sometimes it's the first tenor, sometimes the second.  And one track starts with the bass singing the main part, only to have the baritone pick it up.  And, for all of the different definitions of "close" harmony out there, I personally think "close" means just that--close.  You've got four parts packed into the male tessitura, and so you have overlap.  This is why Barbershop-type singing is typically notated in treble-and-bass-clef fashion, with the upper clef to be sung an octave lower.  Of course, the "correct" way to do this is to put an "8" under the treble clef, to designate the octave drop.  But old tunebooks and songbooks always took the quirkiest routes available, just to confound people of our era.

Sound quality is decent for a low-budget production--no too-early machine shut-offs or thumping sounds between tracks.  It's always nice to not have to edit out such stuff.  This is a thrift gift from Diane--thanks, Diane!--and she did a great cleaning job with her record-cleaning machine.  The a cappella singing is either a welcome thing or a turn-off, depending on your ears' point of view--I find it refreshing, but you're not me.  But, hey, I'm not you, either, so we're even.

No time to do my usual author/composer checking, save for two numbers--After and O Happy Day, on which the refrain has traditionally been credited to one Edward F. Rimbault, 1854.  Text is from the 18th century.  There are two other famous O/Oh, Happy Day numbers, but this is the one with the "How dry I am" melody.  And reliable-sounding internet sources tell us that After has 1932 words and music by N.B. Vandall.

And remember--I'm just reporting history, not making it up.  I had no part in any of the events documented here, save for sound-editing the waveform.  Now, go ye to Go Ye.  And how often do I get to say that?






DOWNLOAD: Crusaders Quartet--Go Ye (approx. 1962)






Lee



9 comments:

A man for whom Christ died said...

Thanks y'all, for another interesting folder! This particular version of Oh Happy Day, is more to my liking, good ol' page 86 in our hymnal! First place I ever heard it, was on an EP from a choir from Lexington, NC, that my Pawpaw had, the record long gone and I'd give my eye teeth to get it back! I still remember the songs, 'Til The Storm Passes By, Deeper, Deeper, Oh Happy Day and What A Happy Time. Anyway, back to OHD, you mentioned the songs on this album done in a from-the-hymnal fashion, don't think I've ever heard done it quite the way it's done here, but I have heard the parts though. We sung it this morning as a matter of fact, but another arrangement. Oh and the oldest recording of the way I like it, that I know of, is The Homeland Harmony Quartet on a 78 on (I believe) the White Church label, with the flip-side being the slowest version of The Old Country Church that I've ever heard, including different songs thrown in, such as (ironically) the chorus to Oh How I Love Jesus. The verses are in our hymnal three times, but I believe I've mentioned that before. One more thing, OHD is in our hymnal twice, page 86 being my favorite, can't remember the page of the more traditional(so-to-speak, from a hymnal printed in 1951) version. I've rambled on way too long, thanks again, love and prayin' for ya!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Callcast: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Hi, Josh. Yes, I'd meant to mention the unique arrangement of OHD, with the trading-off between singers, but it got lost in the revisions, I guess. Yes, that one is definitely NOT straight from the hymnal!

We have it in the UMC hymnal as O Happy Day, That Fixed My Choice, and I wonder if that's done to distinguish it from the Edwin Hawkins hit (which is nicely done but a tad too monotonous, imo). I notice that the refrain of OHD is just a variation on the preceding portion. Somebody (Rimbault, we're told) just sort of jazzed things up in campmeeting style. Nothing wrong with that, of course. And it's possible there were variants, to use the folklore term--different versions. I may have some variations in my tunebooks. It almost definitely has a campmeeting origin--early 1800s, likely.

I'd love to hear that slow Old Country Church. It's funny--I've seen my share of White Church 78s but never bought one. Cool label design. Maybe I never saw a title I wanted. I have a good number of gospel 78s, including Singspiration and Rainbow label stuff (the latter requiring a smaller than normal stylus, and so they typically sound awful). I'll make a note to grab the next White Church 78 I find. Yes, I forgot to note the fun liberties the group takes with OHD. When I'm editing my write-ups, I'll sometimes omit a key aside. But I have sharp visitors, like you, who keep me honest! Great to hear from you! Best, Lee

Lee Hartsfeld said...

I meant that maybe the extra clause in "O Happy Day" is to distinguish it from the 1968 hit, which doesn't really sound like OHD, despite claims to that effect. I remember it from the time, and I remember being bored. Great choir singing, but too much repetition.

Diane said...

You're welcome, Lee! And thank you for the hard work restoring and annotating.

A man for whom Christ died said...

Lee,
I understand on overexplanation (and Firefox doesn't like my new word), 'cause I do it (overexplanation) myself. What I'm trying to say is, I understand on the reasoning of the two songs and honestly, I don't care for the Hawkins one either. Here's OHD, by The Cathedrals, couldn't find it by HHQ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM2JpiDujDs

Oh and according to Discogs (reckon this is correct, not sure), it says OHD/OCC by HHQ (that enough shorthand LOL), was on Bibletone.

https://www.discogs.com/Homeland-Harmony-Quartet-O-Happy-Day-The-Old-Country-Church/release/12567012

Hope this helps and thanks again, love and prayin' for ya!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Callcast: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

Lee Hartsfeld said...

I have a Cathedrals two-LP set, and I have their "Laughing Song" single (orig. called "Ticklish Reuben." And the call-and-response on the Cathedrals track is very much like the Crusaders' version. And they're singing it in solfege, like in the old singing (aka, shape-note) schools! Actually, solfege goes back to the time of Shakespeare. And I have a Methodist hymnal notated in solfage. It's not the usual shape notes, but with everything vertically notated in numbers. Wonderful find. One of my pastors didn't quite know what to make of it--I think it was totally new to her and her music-director husband!

Delightful Cathedrals version. And Bibletone, huh? Weirdly enough, their "parent label" was NRC, home of Ray Stevens' first almost-hit, which had to be pulled for plagiarism reasons (Sgt. Preston of the Yukon). Despite its being pulled, it was nevertheless reissued as an oldie! The Stevens record was the template for his "Ahab the Arab." Thanks for this terrific "O Happy Day"!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Bibletone for "The Old Country Church," I mean. I'm confusing myself here. Happens all the time.

A man for whom Christ died said...

You're welcome and thanks for the history! The Cathedrals did an album of older songs (Stamps Baxter-style, etc), back in (I believe) the early '80s, repackaged as An Old Convention Song (a single from about '87, I believe). Anyway, they did the chorus of Telling The World in solfege and if you listen closely at the beginning of it, you can hear George Yountz (sp) overdubbed, sounds like a slip-up, bless his heart LOL! BTW, if you ever find that EP on Ebay, I believe the whole title of the choir on the label is, The Wayside Baptist Tabernacle Church Choir, produced by Don Matney. I asked him about it many years ago and he remembers it (from maybe 1967), but didn't have it. 'Til later, love and prayin' for ya!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Callcast: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

rosbeliobones9223@gmail,com said...

Muito obrigado !!