Sunday, February 06, 2022

Sunday morning gospel: The Christianaires Quartet in Concert (CQ 9126)

 


It only just now occurred to me what the "CQ" stands for in the catalog number.  (Duhh...)  I think I'm still recovering from our recent ice storm.  My sinuses, that is.  They have a rough time with this kind of weather.  I can't say that I blame them.

So, from Fort Wayne, and with the excellent Ray Gaskill at the piano, this is The Christianaires Quartet--Dave Russell (first tenor), Howard Russell (second tenor), Dave Pletcher (baritone), and Cliff Mossoney (bass).  The tall guy on the cover is Ray.

Very enjoyable tracks--and it's always great to hear When God Dips His Love...  Well, in my opinion, at least.  These guys sounded fine when I spot-listened to the LP (and during the sound-editing), but, upon closer aural examination (actually, that's an old term for a hearing test), I decided the harmonies could have been a bit tighter.  But, again, the material is fun, the group energetic and sincere, and the sound is very acceptable for a "local" effort.  At any rate, we can't expect the Christianaires to be operating on the level of, say, the Blackwood Brothers or the Statesmen Quartet.  And--is it just me, or is there a slight country gospel sound to these tracks?  I use that phrase to describe music which stylistically lies between Southern quartets and bluegrass gospel.  Groups like the Sego Brothers and Naomi, for example.  The country gospel feeling is slight, but it's there.  So say my ears, anyway.

The group's theme song, written by first tenor Dave Russell, may be my favorite track--it's very catchy.  And it's always a treat to hear I Shall Not Be Moved and Hide Me Rock of Ages.  This is another thrift gift from Diane (thanks, Diane!) and much appreciated, and, as luck had it, she sent two copies.  This was good, because I had to trade off a couple tracks that someone had (best guess) played with the wrong needle.  (Actually, it looks like someone sat on the tonearm.)  Plus, I used the better of the two front jacket images.  I used a blue filter to enhance same, and the result is very close to the jacket in real life.

No idea on the year, though the photo looks to be c. 1968.  Enjoy!

UPDATE (2/25): I received a comment from Ray Gaskill's daughter, Tonya Fett: 

Hello all, I happened upon this blog by googling this album. I can't thank you enough for uploading this. The tall guy on the right? Ray Gaskill. That's my dad. I laughed when I read the comments about the group being called a quartet when there are clearly more than 4 people in the photo. This album was released originally with just the 4 members on the jacket. My dad was not invited to the photo shoot and when I found out the cover had only the quartet on it he was pretty upset. My dad could be difficult sometimes. He had a heart of gold though and loved what he did. Anyway, they gave in and put him in the photo too. Now you know! LOL I have at least one more album of this group if anyone is interested. Below I have posted a link to Amazon that someone is selling the original jacket.          

And here's the original jacket, prior to the addition of Ray (taken from the Amazon image).  Many thanks to Tonya for her input!




DOWNLOAD: The Christianaires Quartet in Concert (CQ 9126)


Christianaires Theme Song (Dave Russell)

My Anchor Holds (Martin-Towner)

I'm Feeling Fine (Mosie Lister)

I Shall Not Be Moved

When God Dips His Love in My Heart (C. Derricks)

Heavenly Love (V.B. Ellis)

I'm Bound for the Kingdom (Mosie Lister)

I'm Too Near Home (C. Wycuff)

The Touch of His Hand (Mosie Lister)

Hide Me, Rock of Ages (B. George)

I See Jesus (C. Wycuff)

What a Day That Will Be (Jimmy Hill)


The Christianaires Quartet in Concert (CQ 9126)


Lee

15 comments:

Ernie said...

I understand the fifth guy is the accompanist, but it really bugs me when they show a quintet image for a quartet group. :(

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Ernie,

Then I'm sure you'd be extra annoyed by the five-voice quartets that happen in gospel. Why these are not called "quintets," I don't know, though five-part vocal harmony is just four parts plus window dressing. The extra voice could act as a chord extender or as a descant. Anyway, I'm almost sure I've run into five-person "quartets.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

"Quartets," I mean.

Ernie said...

Grrrr! That's not a quartet!!!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

I guess the rules are flexible. I believe that, for instance, Mosie Lister added a high(er) tenor to the Statesmen at times. And, really, think of all the rock groups that doubled and tripled their harmonies in the studio. The Beatles essentially had three singers, but they fleshed out their vocal parts, of course.

A man for whom Christ died said...

Lee,
Since you brought it up, don't you mean Hovie, not Mosie Lister? Years ago, back home in the NC Piedmont, we had a black group called, The Harmonizing Five Quartet LOL, got an album from them, somewhere, but don't remember their sound too much, must-a-not stuck with me. More on the actual music later, I'm sure, love and prayin' for ya!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Phone Ministry: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Josh,

You're right--I meant Hovie! My bad...

Eager to hear your report on this LP.

Diane said...

So glad that this thrift find worked out for you, Lee! I love seeing these hard-working local artists appreciated anew in digital form. Also, I have to agree with Ernie -- "quartet" photos featuring five people drive me nuts, despite knowing the reason.

Anonymous said...

Hello all,
I happened upon this blog by googling this album. I can't thank you enough for uploading this. The tall guy on the right? Ray Gaskill. That's my dad. I laughed when I read the comments about the group being called a quartet when there are clearly more than 4 people in the photo. This album was released originally with just the 4 members on the jacket. My dad was not invited to the photo shoot and when I found out the cover had only the quartet on it he was pretty upset. My dad could be difficult sometimes. He had a heart of gold though and loved what he did. Anyway, they gave in and put him in the photo too. Now you know! LOL I have at least one more album of this group if anyone is interested. Below I have posted a link to Amazon that someone is selling the original jacket. tonyafett@gmail.com

https://www.amazon.com/Christianaires-Quartet-Concert-Vinyl-Record/dp/B073RWNB92

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Tonya,

Thanks so much for checking in! I put your comments in the post, and I included the "before" pic of the LP (from the image you linked to). Your dad was a terrific pianist. I wish I could play like that!


Lee

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for keeping his music alive. He would be so thankful. He died when I was 10, he was an older dad. I miss him so much but his music helps! Thanks for the chuckle on the jacket and I'm glad I could shed a little light on it. Thank you for the compliment on his piano playing. I unfortunately didn't inherit it. I do have his piano that was purchased in the 1960's!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Very glad to get his music to you. Is his piano an upright? Wonderful that you still have it.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is an upright. It gets played now and again when we have someone over who knows how to play. My dad taught himself to play the piano. He also played a bass guitar, a zither and the accordion. There may be more I just can't remember them all.

Ernie said...

Always a pleasure to hear from someone related to the artist at hand! I never would have guessed that he was added to the cover art afterwards, it's a nice Photoshop job before there was a Photoshop! :)

Lee Hartsfeld said...

From the days when a sharp cutting tool did the Photoshopping work!