Tuesday, March 01, 2022

Come on Everybody Let's Twist!--Steven Garrick and His Party Twisters (Golden Tone 3092; 1962)

 



Come on, everybody--let's twist!  And that means everybody.  An unexpectedly excellent twist LP on the Golden Tone label--a label which resulted from the 1958 merger between Tops and Precision Radiation Instruments Inc. Evidently, PRI was a very shady outfit, though I forget the sordid details.  I just know that much of their LP output consisted of reissued Tops material, albeit in trimmed-down editions.  This 1962 release, however, is clearly not a reissue, since it's contemporary with the twist craze.  And the music is exceptionally good, owing, no doubt, to the talented conductor and arranger Steven Garrick.  The track titles are unusually imaginative and mostly amusing, though I don't quite get "Intimitwist."  "Psychoanalytwist," however, is genuinely fine wordplay.

These tracks rock the needle out of the grooves, and this may be the best-ever budget twist-ploitation effort--it certainly musically outdoes the "Original Twisters" on Mercury, as fine as that one may have been.  The fidelity is outstanding, too, though I did boost the treble a bit.  Not much I can say beyond my estimation that the music is exceptionally well done, and the fact that it's always a pleasure to encounter a recorded effort that's way better than could logically have been suspected.  A thrift find that's been sitting in my rows for a while--something I bought probably because, despite the banged-up jacket, the vinyl survived in more than acceptable condition.  For some reason, that fact conveyed, "Buy me."  I felt a kind of duty to do so.  Photoshopping did wonders for the front and back covers--the back cover, in particular.  Golden Tone used the kind of cardboard that forms brown spots over time--real bottom-of-the-barrel paper.  And what a totally nothing label design, no?  But Steven Garrick didn't let any of these factors hold him back, and we should be twistfully grateful.  In regard to twisting along, I can't instruct you one way or another.  That's your call.

Excellent fidelity, excellent music.  Some nice Tequila-style numbers tossed in, too.  "Each and every selection in this superb album will fascinate you," the liner notes promise.  The musicians are identified on the back, including Cheryl Blythe, who provided the "vocal chant."  To be regarded as a plural phrase.

Tunes written by Sanford Bellini. Wonder if he came up with the titles, too?

UPDATE: I accidentally omitted track 9 (Thou Shalt Not Untwist) in the original file.  This has been corrected.  Sorry about that!


DOWNLOAD: Come on Everybody Let's Twist -Steven Garrick and His Party Twisters (Golden Tone 4092; 1962)


Psychoanalytwist

Sister's a Twister

Intimitwist

A Twist of Lemon

Ten Cents a Twist

Astrotwist

Strictly Informal Twist

Don't Holler on Me Twist

Thou Shalt Not Untwist

Doublemint Twist

Chalah Twist

Scientwist


Tunes written by Sanford Bellini.


Lee

17 comments:

Buster said...

You are in a twistin' mood, for sure.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

'Round and 'round and 'round...

Ernie said...

This is a good one! I think my copy is on that clear gold vinyl they used for a while. Then they started mixing in more and more of the black vinyl so they got kinda mottled looking, eventually they were just black, but still translucent. You could hold them up to the light and see through them a bit. Sometimes the thrift stores notice that colored vinyl and put a premium price on them. In fact, a guy in a record store tried to do that to me recently for some religious label stuff. I couldn't get through to him that all their pressings were colored vinyl...

Diane said...

I have this one on vinyl, but have never spun it. (Twisted it?) Thanks for doing the digitizing for me!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Ernie,

Mine must be a later pressing, as it's regular vinyl. I have some of the clear gold Mayfairs and Golden Tones, though...

Diane,

My pleasure!

Larry said...

Good choice! I'm taking it three tracks at a time to make it last.

Unfortunately, Thou Shalt Not Untwist seems to be missing

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Larry--

Sorry about that. My media player Groove was giving me problems on that track, but it should have made it into the playlist. I'll check that out.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Larry (and everyone)--

The original rip is without track 9--"Thou Shalt Not Untwist"--but I just corrected it. You can re-download for the complete LP. Sorry about that! I messed up.

Thanks, Larry, for alerting me to this!

Diane said...

Lee's customer service is second to none.

Gilmarvinyl said...

I have had that happen... they think it makes them rare, and thus more expensive... High school band private pressing? Polka?

rntcj said...

Hi!

THANX for this one! A great CANADIAN "Twister" LP. Fun music.

A couple of years ago, again don't remember how (?), was in touch with his daughter about his music. Think will re-connect to discuss further.

Cheers!
Ciao! For now.
rntcj

TupeloBrian said...

I never heard of tops and Mayfair labels until I discovered the bsn.pubs website. we had 3 Golden Tone relaese in the family. Strauss waltzes was at my aunt's house. we had Cole porter favorites by Martin Miller and the much more popular with me Jerry Gray plays glenn Miller favorites. I later found from the bsn website that this latter album was created from tracks from two original Tops albums. In the greater lounge CD era, some Tops/Mayfair product came out on CD by a label called Simitar. Only one of the Jerry Gray albums came out though. Then the lounge craze died off and no more Simitar releases.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

That's interesting--thanks. I wonder if Simitar officially had the rights to Tops material, or if it simply used the material because no one had claimed it.

Anonymous said...

Sanford Bellini was a pseudonym for Steven Garrick.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Anon.,

That figures! Thanks!

Garry<> 1255 said...

I just put it on !!! Thanks
Garry. Denison texas

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Garry,

Hope you like it. It's one the best budget twist LPs!