Sunday, November 27, 2022

Sunday Morning Gospel, after 11 pm. (Well, I had the best intentions.) Ten-inch Singspiration goodness.

 


A late-evening Sunday Morning Gospel for you--some really marvelous 1953 material, performed in that expert Back to the Bible Broadcast style I love beyond words.  Some may regard the Back to the... music as too conventional, or too MOR, but I admire the sheer expertise of the performances.  Polished but heartfelt.  The sound is super, and I eliminated all of the surface crackle, which was about typical for a sacred ten-incher--lots of nicks, crosscuts, needle-drop evidence, etc.  Those good ol' one-pound tonearms, I guess.  My brother and I had a four-speed portable phonograph, and most of the time any attempt to cue the stylus to another part of the record resulted in a nick, or worse.

Then came lightweight tonearms, anti-skating, and suddenly it became possible to accidently knock the needle across an entire side, from the first groove to the last--with no ill results.  Anyway, I gave myself credit for eliminating the crackle, pop, etc., but most of the credit really goes to the astoundingly effective VinylStudio declicker, which took out most (but not all) of the unwanted noise.  The rest, I manually removed, as usual, in MAGIX.  But what a before-and-after example!  I should have ripped a "raw" portion just so you could hear it.

A Diane gift, and yes, the previous owner had played it quite often on a totally not-modern turntable, but again, I would call the condition about average for a 10-incher loved by the previous owner.  Buster would be more of an authority on that.

How do I know it's from 1953?  Easy--this is an RCA custom pressing, and the E3 in the matrix number tells us 1953.  Otherwise, I would have guesstimated 1955 for this, and I would have been two years off.  Now, here's the weird thing--and the reason this post is so late.  I had an allergic reaction to the musty jacket, and I didn't realize it until about two hours into the weird experience.  I felt shortness of breath, my head was woozy, and I was almost afraid to go downstairs, in case I fell or something.  (I didn't.)  I managed to open the window to air the room out (thank goodness for a seasonal fall day, for a change) and I booked out of here.  And the mystery is, why now?  That is, after all my years of encountering musty jackets and labels, all the years of flea-marketing and Goodwilling in germ-filled environments, why did my system suddenly decide to freak out?  It's had countless opportunities to date.

At any rate, two Benadryls, two asthma inhaler puffs, and some sitting down and resting, and all I have now is a headache and a slightly queasy stomach.  I was so wired, I wanted to simply stay on my feet and obsessively self-dx myself, but I didn't want to fall, so I talked myself into parking my keister on my Monster chair (I think that's the actual name).  When we're in a medical panic, logic doesn't rule the event.  Just when we need logic to guide us, that's when it flees the scene.

I goofed on my labeling--the second track should be the Chorus, not "Choir."  Oh, and there's a certain amount of irony in the fourth title--Singing of His Love, by Wendell Loveless.  Anyway, I'm sure that none of the mold spores in question got into the zip file, so open without fear.  And, again, just your regular, everyday musty jacket--so, why did my immune system go into semi-shock?  This must be one of those strange, one-off allergic reactions.  That, or I really ticked off the vinyl god.


DOWNLOAD  Back to the Bible Broadcast Chorus Quartet, 1953


I'm a Rollin, Walk in Jerusalem

What a Friend (Converse)

In the Secret Place of Prayer (Coleman)

Singing Along the Way (A.H. Ackley)/Singing of His Love (Wendell Loveless)

Amazing Grace, Only One Life

Take the World but Give Me Jesus (Sweney)

I Am With You (Morris-Harkness)

That Beautiful Name (Camp)


(Singspiration LP-107; 1953)

Lee


10 comments:

Ernie said...

Thanks, Lee. Sorry to hear about your reaction to this record. You sure it wasn't the music that set you off? :) I bought a musty one this weekend I'm a little worried about, but we'll see if I can clean it up enough to put it into the collections.

Buster said...

I feel your wheezes. I have had severe asthma for decades, and have no doubt that a prime culprit is my addiction to vinyl and shellac!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Ernie,

I've been lucky with musty sleeves--most of them, simply airing them out does the trick, though it can take a week or so. I had some hopelessly (I thought) musty high school choir LPs, but months of simply airing them out did the trick. To my astonishment. But this doesn't always happen... Good luck!

Buster,

Yeah, it doesn't help. And my headquarters is a small room with sloping ceilings, built in the 1850s or 1860s. And so I'm surrounded by asthma triggers. At the moment, there's a musty smell coming from some other LP, but I can't locate the culprit. Minus lots of storage room, things "vanish" very quickly. Sometimes all I have to do is set them down!

Ernie said...

Someone on FB was talking about removing the musty odor by using ozone. They put the records in a plastic tote, opened up as much as possible, then ran a hose into the tote with the output from an ozone generator. They seemed to be very happy with the result, but said the smell returned after a few days. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but I think it takes weeks, not days, to make a difference. And it may not be the ozone at all, it may just be the constant flow of fresh air.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Lee, for this Back to the Bible Broadcast musical treasure. I worked there a number of years, well after 1953. Was not aware of this album. My BBB holdings are vinyl, a cassette or two. Good musicians and music. BBB records are a rarity online for some reason. Doc (who has been quiet here for many moons)

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Doc,

Very interesting! Did you enjoy your time with BBB? I've always regarded the BBB output of the 1950s and 1960s to be virtually unmatched in terms of superior musicianship. Too bad their records aren't common on line--they deserve to be.

A man for whom Christ died said...

Lee,
Wasn't gonna say much yet, before I commented more on last week's post and will get back to it as soon as I can, but had to comment on That Beautiful Name. Wondered, when I saw it, could that be the song I think it is? Yeah, I was right! Only heard it one other place, an old album from The Amity Hills Baptist Church Choir of Asheboro, NC. They were a Spirit-filled choir back in the day, I'm here to done tell ya! Good to hear this done more-starchy, probably more like the composer wanted it to be sung. Don't get me wrong though, AHBC did a good job on it, just gave it their own treatment, which fit them too and me, 'cause I like their style, southern, shoutin' and spirited! Oh and did you know, there's a big hiccup near the start of In The Secret Place Of Prayer? Hey, while I'm here, thought I'd share some of BBB's cuts (two, to be exact, which I enjoy) from YT.

Leave Your Heavy Burden At The Cross - Back To The Bible Broadcast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzMIIVXb3cU&t=13s

The Price Of A Soul - Back To The Bible Broadcast Choir
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PqMCl_6UQ4&t=12s

I do appreciate all the work you do, on these treasures, to bring them to us, very much so, love and prayin' for ya!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Personal Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Phone Ministry: (563) 999-3967
TIBPF Podcast: http://www.tibpf.sermon.net

Anonymous said...

Lee,
Yes, I enjoyed my time there. I was privileged to work and serve at BBB with many fine Christians, great Bible teachers and missions-minded men and women. The music was certainly an important part of the whole ministry (radio, music, literature, counseling, missions, youth, stewardship). Musicians were employees who, in addition to their everyday jobs, brought their talents into the studio. God blessed the ministry for many years, many coming to know the Lord Jesus personally, many growing in their Bible knowledge and in how to live the Christian life. Doc

Diane said...

So happy this one worked out for you! I try my best to find good stuff. Followers who notice you mention my name probably don't realize my batting average is only MLB level, or .300. But I try, and I'm happy when it happens. Thanks for posting!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Diane,

Sure! And I should note that, even with over 30 years of collecting gospel titles, and a fairly decent sacred song knowledge, my success rate is maybe 1 in 4. You can never tell with gospel LPs, though I often go the rule that, the less professional the cover photo, the greater the chance of good music in the grooves.