Thursday, March 02, 2023

Paul Mauriat doing the "Now" scene! "More Mauriat" (Philips PHS 600-226; 1967)

 


Despite the cover, no theme from MASH.  And let me apologize in advance for any typos caused by my reduced focusing abilities.  My eyes aren't producing enough tears, which means I need to take eye drops four times a day.  Ahh, the fun of getting older.

And I have yet to extend my MP3-tagging powers--sorry.  I've really been very busy with sound-editing, and so the tagging is a secondary concern right now.  Anyway, to our offering of the day: More Mauriat (Philips PHS 600-226; 1967), a fascinating take on the 1966 hit parade, including the massive French hit Love Me, Please Love Me.  Which I had never heard of.  Except for two movie-related tracks, the rest of the numbers are 1966 AM hits familiar to me, since I grew up with the things.  Kudos to Paul for getting me to like Black is Black, a tune I was never very fond of.  But Mauriat's arrangement brings out virtues that previously went undetected by me.  And, upon first listen, I wasn't crazy about Paul's treatment of Sunny, one of my all-time favorite hits.  But, come my third listen, I started to dig it.  And this is an album which (for me, at least) inspires multiple plays.

Overall, I enjoyed the heck out of this album, though it requires a tolerance of easy-listening-ized pop hits.  No problem for me, but for some, maybe.  Mauriat goes full easy-listening, and the result is superb, delightful, and just a model of its type.  Mauriat had a genius for this kind of thing.

My favorites are, of course, Black Is Black and Sunny, plus Guantanemera, whose title refers to a woman from Guantanamo.  The song's history is too complicated and weird to relate in words, but mostly, we need to know that it's a protest number.  Maybe even THE protest number of our time, and, in my estimation, an exceptionally distinguished choice.  The lyrics employ portions of Cuban poet José Martí's Simple Verses.  I prefer the epically moving translation used in the wonderful Sandpipers' version, which includes "My poems are like a wounded fawn seeking refuge in the forest," and "With the poor people of this earth I want to share my fate. The streams of the mountains please me more than the sea." Martí gave his life to the cause of Cuban independence, so pardon me while I choke up. 

Given the nature of the song, perhaps Mauriat's treatment is a little too up-tempo and joyous, but it sure brings out the beauty of the tune.  So, I like it.  Winchester Cathedral, meanwhile, is given the exact right touch of light humor, and Reach Out I'll Be There is quite effectively rendered in "easy" terms.  Masterfully, even.  Bang Bang is the only misfire (pun intended), to my ears.  The spoken "Bang Bang" part is downright weird, and I never liked the song, anyway.  So...

Otherwise, an A+.  Coming up soon, Capitol's The Top-40 Songbook, which, as it turns out, I didn't part with.



DOWNLOAD: More Mauriat (Philips PHS 600-226; 1967)


Black Is Black

Sunny

Winchester Cathedral

Guantanamera

Love Me, Please Love Me

Reach Out I'll Be There

Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)

Lara's Theme (From "Dr. Zhivago")

Theme From "Is Paris Burning"

En Bandouliere


Lee

8 comments:

musicman1979 said...

YAY!! Unlike some of the records that you have featured on this blog, I actually have this record in my collection.

My favorite cut on this is their take on Los Bravos' "Black Is Black." Very true to the spirit of the original, yet infused with Mr. Mauriat's gentle orchestral touch.

"Sunny" is probably the best-remembered cut on this disc because it was the flip side of some pressings of Paul's massive best-remembered #1 hit "Love Is Blue." This recording was the first version I heard of the tune when I was a young boy and I was checking out some of the 45's in my Dad's collection. The clock sound effects interspersed throughout the number, plus treating the song in ballad tempo instead of its usual upbeat style, helps to make Paul Mauriat's take on "Sunny" uniquue and special. My favorite cover of "Sunny", however, is the mid-tempo version done by Percy Faith and his 12-girl voice chorus on his 1967 Colummbia LP For Those In Love.

I will have to pull out my copy of this album and re-listen to it on my turntable; It's been a while since I actually listened to the album from beginning to end. I have had my present copy of the record since Veterans Day of 2014 when I found it in a stack of records at an out-of-town Goodwill store. Thanks for sharing. More comments later.

Ernie said...

He must have sold millions of copies of this record and his Love Is Blue album, because they turn up at every thrift store I visit. Which isn't to say it isn't good music, but it sure was popular. Thanks, Lee!

I don't think I ever noticed the evening wear on the two in the helicopter before...

Andrew said...

Thank you. All I need to say. (ps I hope your tears come back)

musicman1979 said...

There are some real great cuts on this album! Love Me, Please Love Me has got the feel of the musical styles of Mauriat and Nashville pianist Floyd Cramer.

Guantanmera is one of the better cuts on the record. It musically has the flavor of the Midnight String Quartet, A Snuff Garrett Easy Listening ensamble that was breaking it big around the same time that this album came out. It has got a great '60's beat and silky strings. The only complaint is that the song ends far too soon.

Another great cover of this tune is on the Carlini's World of Strings Millon Seller Hits of the '50's album on Stereo Gold Award Records. If you want a good vocal recording, check out John Gary's on the Spanish Moonlight LP and is reprised on the 2-LP This Is John Gary album.

You can hear on "Bang Bang" and "En Boundaliere" several of the elements that would appear later on Mauriat's breakout #1 hit "Love Is Blue" (BTW Ernie, the name of that LP is Blooming Hits.)

musicman1979 said...

I am not sure if I like the calliope/ocarina circus sounds on Reach Out, I'll Be There. For the most part, it's a good arrangement. However, when it comes to covers, I would much rather listen to Petula Clark's version of this Four Tops classic on her Color My World/Who Am I album.

The circus musical elements certainly help to add a unique touch to Somewhere My Love and the Theme From Is Paris Burning.

It is still a good album overall. Three and a half stars out of five from me.

PS: Another Mauriat album that you might be interesting in uploading here is The Soul of Paul Mauriat, which has him doing unique Easy Listening versions of such Motown classics as I'm Gonna Make You Love Me, I've Heard It Through the Grapevine, and the Supremes #1 classics "You Keep Me Hanging On" and "Love Child." This album also includes a great Easy Listening take on Aretha Franklin's signature tune "Respect."

Looking forward to the Capitol Records Top 40 posting. God bless you.

Diane said...

Love this! Weird coincidence, I just listened to a half-dozen other Paul Mauriat LPs. Some of his arrangements are very inventive. Billboard reviews said he did "intelligent easy listening," to which I'd agree. Not to everyone's taste, of course, but not the usual soup of strings to please anti-rock ears.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

A late thanks for the comments! And thanks for your very detailed reviews, musicman1979--always appreciated! Diane, I like the "intelligent easy listening" description. Mauriat's arrangements are classy (and sometime "Classical").

musicman1979 said...

You are welcome. It was a real pleasure to listen to my copy at home and supply comments a few days later. I have the Mono version of the Stereo Spectacular Sounds of A Thousand Strings album you posted here almost a year ago and I might listen to my copy and compare that to the Stereo mixes you posted on your red vinyl copy--at least when the cheapies indulged in colored vinyl, you knew that the sound quality would be much better than the original black vinyl Crown pressings (Or Tops' or SPC's, for that matter.)