Friday, October 27, 2023

Frank-Tin-Stein presents... Halloween 2023, Part 1!

 


Three years after christening this cookie tin "Frank-Tin-Stein," I'm realizing, more than ever, what desperate word play that was.  But desperate word play is a sacred (or profane?) Halloween tradition.  And, at least in theory, the worse the pun, the better.  Not sure that works in this case, but Frank-Tin-Stein it is.  I built that crypt, so I'll have to live in it.  (Er, maybe "live" is not the right word.)

So, awful puns by the gravesite, let's proceed with the in-augggh-ural "I Decided at the Last Minute, With workupload Having Disposed of Most of My Rips, to Resurrect My Favorite Halloween Novelties, Plus Some 'New' Stuff" post, which I've shortened to "Halloween 2023, Part 1."

The moldies include David Rose's terrific Satan and the Polar Bear (1957), Mantovani's outstanding 1956 rendition of Morton Gould's 1938 Deserted Ballroom, Lawrence Welk's 1965 recording of Theme From the Addams Family (very snappy), and... Does it give me gruesome gratification to present Halloween classics by three "MOR" conductors?  I can't lie.  Well, actually, I can.  Who among us has always told the truth?

And, the Monotone's zany Zombi from 1958, plus Beatrice Kay's 1947 classic, Hooray, Horray, I'm Goin' Away, which must have been heard by a young Jerry Samuels (aka Napoleon XIV).

Then, a "new" offering from 1963, which was superbly imaginatively titled: Halloween, it's called.  On both sides, no less.  And no "Part 1" and "Part 2," even, though the A side is credited to the Friendly Ghosts (did the Casper people know about this?) and the B side blamed on the Lively Ghouls.  If only these two guys had put as much thought into the main title.  Anyway, these two sides (which I spliced together) are certainly cryptic--to the point of inspiring the listener to wonder what the point was (or, indeed, if the two culprits had a ghost of a point).  Bells sounding, a lot of moaning, and much screaming, then more screaming, and, to top it off... even more screaming/howling/screeching.  Enough inspiration for, say, 30 seconds, but they managed to push it past nine minutes.  The only thing crazier than someone listening to the entire combined track has to be the hour or better which I devoted to getting the sound (almost) up to par.  All the while, I asked myself, "Why am I doing this?"  I don't recall reaching an answer.

Really, Halloween isn't so much a poverty row Halloween sound effects disc as an obsessive study in reverb/echo.  "Wow, we can make stuff sound weird if we crank this knob to ten"--Friendly Ghosts, aka Lively Ghouls.  The effect isn't so much like two guys providing dungeon-style sound effects, plus short snippets from other recordings, but more like two guys thinking these things.  With their thoughts somehow captured on magnetic tape.  We just may be listening to a bold paranormal experiment.  I can picture Bellaire Records after listening to these sides: "You were supposed to provide us with a record."  "We did."  "Oh, okay.  If you say so.  I guess we'll, um, put this out."

Halloween makes Revolution 9 sound like a Top 40 ditty.  Anyway, feel free to use it for Halloween spook audio.  It'll have your guests asking, "Is that your plumbing, or...?"

Frank-Tin-Stein wants to know why he's always referred to by his creator's surname.  I dunno.  Because it's a by now ancient pop culture tradition.  And, really, thinking bout it, Frank-Tin-Stein isn't quite as awful as Frank N. Stein or Frank and Stein.  At least it breaks new ground.  Speaking of cemeteries, I have grave-loads more ripped and almost ready to go, but will I make the DEADline?  I'd better, or I'll suffer eternal darn-nation.  (Countless repeat-plays of Halloween.)

As the angry villagers said to the Frankenstein monster, "You've been warmed!"  Stay tombed to this charnel.


DOWNLOAD: Frank-Tin-Stein Presents...


Satan and the Polar Bear--David Rose and His Orchestra, 1957 (from the MGM LP, "Hi Fiddles")

The Deserted Ballroom--Mantovani and His Orchestra, 1956 (from the London LP, "Musical Modes")

Zombi--The Monotones, 1957 (Argo 5301)

Saturday Evening Ghost--Frankie Stein and His Ghouls (from the Peter Pan EP, "Monster Mash")

Hooray, Hooray, I'm Goin' Away--Beatrice Kay With Mitchell Ayres Orch., 1947.

Halloween--The Friendly Ghost/Lively Ghouls, 1963.








Lee


7 comments:

Diane said...

And he works "Revolution 9" into a Halloween post -- BINGBINGBING winner winner chicken dinner!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Diane,

Thank you!

siys said...

I look forward to your Halloween themed compilations every October. Thank you very much! Stevo In Yr Stereo of Nightmare City Halloween

siys said...

I have been collecting Halloween audio for 50 years and had never heard The Friendly Ghosts / The Lively Ghouls "Halloween" single before and find it to be one of the most fantastic spooky recordings I have ever heard. I absolutely love it. Thank you for sharing this gem Lee. I immediately bought a near mint copy on Discogs.

Hauntingly yours, Stevo In Yr Stereo of Nightmare City Halloween

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Stevo,

Thanks for the nice words, and congrats on the near mint copy. Glad you liked "Halloween"--though I made fun of it, it does have a certain hypnotic charm. Probably more so in NM condition!

Ernie said...

Happy Halloween to you, and thanks for the spooky audio! Always a pleasure!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Ernie,

Happy Halloween to you, as well! And thanks for pointing out the typo in my next post. 2013, 2023... They all merge together at some point!