Friday, April 26, 2024

A (more or less) Tribute to The Fabulous Dorseys (Palace M-707, 1957)

 


My guess is that (Jaques) Fontanna's A Tribute to the Fabulous Dorseys is the least of the budget cash-ins--er, salutes--to the late Jimmy and Tommy to appear in the latter half of 1957 (though Coronet's effort seems unusually tacky, even by dollar-bin, er, standards).  Jimmy had left us in June, 1957, and brother Tommy had died in November of 1956.  So, it was a race to the racks.  Other low-to-no-budget tribute LPs appeared on Broadway, Hollywood, Sutton, Omega, Pickwick, Tops, Crown, Somerset, and of course Promenade (SPC).  Not to mention the tribute packages on RCA (naturally), Mercury, and other "actual" labels.  Behold the bargain batch, in part:

In September, 1957, Jimmy Dorsey had a decent-sized (#39) posthumous hit with June Night, whose absence here leads me to guess that this rush job was sped onto the (tape) spindles circa August.  My reasoning: The early-1957 Jimmy Dorsey hit (a huge one) So Rare is included, but not June Night, the posthumous Top 40 hit (of September) for the same leader.  That would put this release date at circa August, 1957.  Otherwise, why wouldn't Palace/Masterseal/Remington have added a junk-job June Night, too?  Of course, I'm operating under the notion (delusion?) that the cheap operations engaged in any form of planning whatsoever.

Most of today's twelve tracks were associated with Tommy Dorsey: Boogie Woogie, Swing LowMarieSwanee RiverOpus No. 1I'll Never Smile AgainSong of India, and (of course) I'm Getting Sentimental Over You.  Jimmy: Breeze and ISo Rare, and Green Eyes.  As for the clunky Sy Oliver-esque Battle Hymn of the Republic, I can't establish a Dorsey connection, save that the number also appears on the Promenade and Broadway Tributes. Maybe its Dorsey association is a rack-jobber urban legend.

The unidentified vocalists aren't bad, despite a painful out-of-range moment in Breeze and I, and, on Green Eyes, a Helen O'Connell imitator whose headphones must have been on tape delay.  She needed to drop the inflections and do another take, but extra takes cost money, so...

The Palace label is related to Remington, Masterseal, and Paris, but discovering this factoid at Discogs is an exciting journey.  At Discogs, we learn that Palace's parent label was Buckingham Records, whose parent label was Masterseal, whose parent label was Remington, whose parent label was Remington Records, Inc.  The latter evidently being the end (or top) of the lineage.

So... Palace's parent-parent-parent label was Remington Records, Inc.  And there were a number of Remington Records, Inc. sublabels (and sub-sublabels), including the Remington sublabel Paris International, Inc. the parent label of Paris.  Whatever I just typed.

The album's chief--and most endearing--shortcomings include musicians either not ideally suited (or ideally rehearsed) to tackle the charts, a generally awkward feel, a few inept intros (Green Eyes, especially), and the total bombing of the Helen O'Connell slow-swing portion of Eyes.  At first, I thought the problem was with the ersatz Helen, but in fact she's fine--almost terrific--but the band, for some ungodly reason, is playing a Bolero-style rhythm which clashes with the singer's swing inflections.  In the Annals of Dumb Band Chart Choices, this moment should be graced with its own special display.

And I love So Rare, maybe because it's the essence of a cheap-label knockoff: "Well, we barely got through that one.  Great job!"  It has "cash-in" written all over it (luckily, my Spin Cleaner took care of that, though I had to change the water), and it's delightfully almost-there.  The best parts of the J. Dorsey original were probably the dramatic opening and closing sections--here, they're these moments are stripped of their inspiration via a lazy transcription.  Why I find a dumbed-down So Rare so cool is so puzzling to me.  I guess that, once bitten by the junk-label bug, there's no cure.

Oh, and there's the dreadful vocal chorus on Marie--no fault of the singer, but more the draggy backing of the percussionist, who sounds like he's 1) half-awake, 2) angry at the gig and thus determined to ruin any semblance of swing, 3) both, or 4) listening to the orchestra on delayed feed.  But had this album been competently carried out, it would be just another middling memorial of the dollar-bin kind, and not nearly as diverting (even as it diverts from the tone of the originals).  And, again, I'd have to pick the two-different-pages close to Green Eyes (a fitting sendoff) as the most genuinely hilarious moment here.  And, again, the tragedy is that the singer nails Helen O'Connell's classic vocal, only to be tripped up by the backing. The insertion of Ravel was clearly a choice made while rushed or drunk--or both.  At any rate, there's too much rubato in the O'Connell-esque vocal to allow for a strict triplet backing, but the mark is so memorably missed, it's one of the all-time best budget botches in my book.

The LP condition is pretty iffy, forcing me--for once--to bypass VinylStudio's declicker filter, since it was removing tiny portions of the audio.  First time ever, and I imagine it's because the mastering was marginal to start with--it may not sound that much better in a clean copy, but I'm too cheap to find out.  I manually removed the worst of the clicks and pops: What remains adds junky provenance to this labor of quick and cheap profit.  But I'll need to at least get my hands on the SPC and Pickwick tribute knockoffs (unless I already have them), if only to hear their versions of So Rare, though I imagine those are too close to competency to begin to compete.  Or, when is viability not a virtue?



DOWNLOAD: A Tribute to the Fabulous Dorseys--(Jacques) Fontanna and His Orch. (Palace M-707; 1957)


Boogie Woogie

Swing Low Sweet Chariot    

Breeze and I

Battle Hymn of the Republic

Marie

Swanee River

Opus No. 1

I'll Never Smile Again

Song of India

So Rare

I'm Getting Sentimental Over You

Green Eyes



Lee

17 comments:

Diane said...

Love the Spin Clean joke!

Buster said...

I've seen these Dorsey tribute records on many occasions but have never heard one. It appears the time is now! Thanks.

TupeloBrian said...

i recognize the record label, i inherited from older brothers a kiddie album by the Cricketeers?

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Buster,

Sure! And a memorably not-quite-up-to-par tribute, too. I have no idea why this one pleases me so much.

TupeloBrain,


"Children's Sing Along" by Uncle Tom, right? I just checked Discogs. That looks like fun--esp. "Animal Parade."

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Diane,

Thanks! It's a rehash of an earlier joke: A budget version of "West Side Story" with "cheap written all over it." And then I wrote "cheap" all over the cover scan. (Yuk, yuk!)

gimpiero said...

Great!

musicman1979 said...

Looking forward to checking this one out! More of my kind of music. I am so glad your hope it plays copy of this album actually plays.

I do have the Bobby Krane album posted in my collection, which Coronet recycled material from on the third LP pictured in the first row. Bobby Krane LP also recycled material from Design's two Stanley Applewaite Glenn Miller tribute albums.

I think actually "June Night" went to #21 on the Billboard charts instead of #39. It actually got quite a bit of airplay on the traditional pop oldies station in Chicago my late Nana listened to 35 years ago, in 1989. However, it was not until December of 2000 that I actually found a copy to add to the collection.

Will comment on this when I can. Still planning to catch up on Raymond Paige and Art Mooney and comment on those as well. Been very busy lately. Thanks for uploading this one!

musicman1979 said...

This version of "So Rare" has the saxophone style is more in the vein of the original and is a combination of Jimmy's original saxophone sound and the more wild sound that either Jimmy or (possibly) Dick Stabile played on the original Fraternity Version. Like the one on the Bobby Krane Bravo LP, it shows off some unique and differnt shadings that make it sound more like a cover and less like a fake hit.

You did a great sound remastering on this! Boogie Woogie sounds great and clear despite the vinyl clicks and pops. You made it sound as if we actually in the studio with the musicians. One of the best covers of "Boogie Woogie" that I have heard thus far. It really swings and has Jam session written all over it.

musicman1979 said...

Unlike most Dorsey tribute albums, this album features a more even mix of Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey hits, whereas some of the albums pictured only represent Jimmy with Dorsey with "So Rare". Great version of "The Breeze and I" with the Bob Eberly sound-alike sounding really good. "Battle Hymn of the Republic" sounds strong enough to have been a single and could have also been used on the aforementioned Stanley Applewaite Glenn Miller LP's.

They did a really good job re-creating the Sunset Royal Serenaders arrangement on "Marie". The trombonist did a really good job re-creating Tommy's original trombone solo. The background vocals almost follow the original to a "T", yet tire out when they should be exuberant on the word "MAMA!" The saxophone solo in the middle gives us a indication of how Jimmy would have sounded on this tune had he actually performed this with Tommy in the final years of his band.

"Opus One" sounds more like Glenn Miller's "Tuxedo Junction" than a re-creation of the original Tommy Dorsey recording. There are some unique moments. I have yet to find a cover that is just as strong as the original recording.

"I'll Never Smile Again" is the same recording featured on the Bill St. Clair SPC album Let's Be Frank. Of course, Palace swapped with SPC frequently, as was the case with his vocals on the Palace album with Stephen Foster songs that has the Fontanna moniker on them. Mr St. Clair does a great job crooning this Frank Sinatra and the Pied Pipers classic.

BTW, I found the original source album for the Stephen Foster songs from Bill St. Clair on Promenade earlier this year at Goodwill:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255068949426?itmmeta=01HWGH6A5NQH2Y55PQ8GXEGRYG&hash=item3b634b4bb2:g:r4EAAOSwHGthALOW&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8ID2fK3BQs%2ByowX%2BQgtgTy37DICNfksQjXjhYTy8PzMimN%2FwgQV1FL6bVajtDGfO4se9WEUAHX1PrmMl2FnEG%2Bh9o1ciDJ1hEVptTuPx73pp%2B%2Fwqpk%2BHjvyAu0N7A9oQ%2Bxr3o83AulFt9KOs8Z1xohR8TGQ%2B700xuhW1Xy0%2

Song of India would have been a winner, yet there are some bad clinker notes i the middle of the number. Good trumpet solo in the middle, though.

musicman1979 said...

This album is truly a mixed bag. It would have been a much better album if they got musicians to play on the cuts who knew this material inside and out. The Faux-Tommy does an excellent job nailing his signature trombone style on "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You". While the "Green Eyes" fake has a little more energy than Jimmy's original. However, there are just too many clinker notes and cringe-worthy musical moments to make this an excellent collection. One listen to this will make you want to hunt the original recordings that much more. The band gets an "A" for effort, and there are a handful of great musical moments. However, this album only gets two-and-a-half stars out of a possible five from me. This is fair to mediocre, at times good, certainly not great.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

gimpiero,

Thank you!

musicman1979,

Sorry for the late reply. I think we agree on this one: mixed bag. It does have its moments, and the sound is surprisingly hi-fi, but the lesser moments bring it down. I thought the musicians were simply under-rehearsed, but you make a good point: Maybe they simply weren't familiar with either these charts or the general style. I agree that the trombonist does a fine imitation of Tommy's legato trombone style, and I concur with your "So Rare" verdict--it slips between JD's classic style and the rock'n'roll feel that was clearly intended to wow the young audience. (And it did!) I was lucky--As a kid thrifting at the local Salvation Army, original TD 78 sets could be found, plus TD's terrific Bell sides and JD's Fraternity classics. Interesting to hear that "June Night" did better than I'd read--not surprised. I grew up listening to all those (I was Dorsey-crazy), and I remember my sister, about age four, loving "Jay-Dee's Boogie Woogie." Funny--I was so used to the Bell version of "Marie" (still one of my all-time favorite singles) that the original 78 was a letdown!

My jazz-musician Dad thought the background vocals on "Marie" were in poor taste, but he was a jazz purist and likely found them too commercial. I read that the TD record imitates a black original, and there's certainly an R&B vocal sound to the answer chorus. Yes, "Green Eyes" definitely has more energy than the original--To my ears, it rates (energy-wise) between the Tommy/Jimmy Dorsey Bell remake and the Decca original. There again, I heard the remake first, and so I was surprised to hear the slower tempo on the O'Connell chorus. And the problem with this version is the strict triplet rhythms behind a rubato-style vocal. No way that was going to gel! Thanks for your reviews--I enjoy them.

musicman1979 said...

And remember, "Jay-Dee's Boogie Woogie" was the flip side of June Night.

Are you familiar with this CD collection that came out in 2022 on Jasmine Records? It does have your favorite version of "Marie" on it. Bought it when it came out in the Fall of that year:

https://www.amazon.com/Records-Sessions-Dorsey-Orchestra-Featuring/dp/B0B9N6YBRQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=Z2GL4I5F075S&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.JqMgkRBQUoojdhlFZUDOwymlaAA0RGmGTqVUi68IuA-J4xXh0hikLzOKu1tbfyyyBvVkpvSg3Sq9edPeqLWBguGx743V8JvioKSw-SSwvF3rBT4sKLChbewpOf6bu5

musicman1979 said...

PS: According to your post on Brand "X" Records, you found this album on October 15, 2022.

musicman1979 said...

This also would be a good time to revive your Maury Laws Dorsey Touch link from 2018, since you showcased the cover art again here at this post. Just a suggestion.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

musicman1979,

That Jasmine CD looks great! And, yes, those are primarily Bell sides. Which already sound awesome for their day on vinyl. "My Friend the Ghost" (which I have a Coral country version of!) is a "Harvey"-influenced side and totally hilarious. AND it was redone (with the same backing tracks and vocalist) in a children's version for Golden Records. The original had references to drinking, so I guess they decided to overhaul that detail--plus, to play down the going-nuts aspect.

I wonder if David Lennick worked on that CD? I'll just bet.

And I was thinking of just that: Reviving the Maury Laws link. I should do it before I forget. Thanks! And thanks for the reminder re when I bought the LP. I don't keep tabs on purchase dates, though I should. It's always fun to look back.

TupeloBrian said...

that title doesn't sound familiar. clementine might been on the album. long discarded lp.

musicman1979 said...

Mr. Lennick could have remastered it. He did a lot of those public domain collections on ASV/Living Era before they quit making CD's sometime in the late-2000's. Somehow, "My Friend the Ghost" also showed up on legit Coronet Dorsey collections, and also appeared on a Premier Eddie Fisher LP in which the Dorsey cuts are credited to "Eddie Maynard."