Thursday, July 11, 2024

Happy Birthday, Merv: Let's Dance Tonight (1952)

 




Actually, Merv's birthday was the 6th, but I'm within a week.  And I've been wanting to feature this 1952 EP set (which also appeared as a 10-inch LP) for some time.  And the 1952 release year is contained in the matrix #: E2PW.  In case you were wondering.

Six excellent Merv-with-Freddy numbers which, along with some others, don't show up on Jasmine's Early in the DayThe Singles Collection CD.  So, I could call them blog exclusives.  I think I will.  (Ahem.)  These are blog exclusives.  There, I said it.

The two instrumental tracks are an odd pair: Wabash Blues and Parade of the Wooden Soldiers.  And, of course, while both are outstanding dance numbers, they don't swing: Martin's band was a "sweet" outfit.  Aka, MOR, "Mickey," or probably worse.  Myself, I regard Martin's fantastic group as the finest of the non-swing big bands, along with Kay Kyser.  The musicianship is never less than superb, and Freddy had quite a knack for finding first-rank band vocalists, Merv included.

Best number?  Probably Leroy Anderson's Serenata, with lyrics by Mitchell Parish.  If I had to choose, that is.  Fidelity is fabulous, and I noticed that the "RCA 1949-" curve in my VinylStudio program (the response curve I applied here) is quite close to the RIAA curve.  Close enough as to not matter, probably.

Merv's been gone 18 (not quite 19) years already, and that's another "What happened to the years?" moment for me.  As I believe I mentioned some years back, I had the pleasure, circa 2005, of ripping a CD for Merv (of his own sides) via his manager.  She shared his email response--all about the fun he had listening to "the old songs."  It felt terrific to give back to a singer who made my vinyl and shellac collecting that much more of a pleasure.  And to think that my Merv-collecting started circa 1982 as a joke.  That is to say, I thought it would be amusing to amass a collection of Merv's recordings, figuring that his discography couldn't be that large.  Wrong!

And, of course, along the way I came to like his work a great deal.  My favorite Merv holdings include some pre-Martin demo 78s and his 1946 Songs by Merv Griffin 78 set on his very own Panda label.  Complete with an autograph to his "dear friend Mrs. Hawkins."  But I fear we've entered the "Who was Merv Griffin?" phase of U.S. popular culture.  After all, even some classic rock bands are unknown to younger listeners come 2024, and so I'm sure that Merv's off the radar.  Indeed, there are members of my own generation who didn't know that the famous talk show host had made records (except, perhaps, for his MGM Christmas effort).  Oh, well...

Oh, and the Merv-showpiece of the group, At Your Command, was penned by Harry Tobias and two former Rhythm Boys members--Bing Crosby and Harry Barris.  The lovely Tell Me melody was based on a mazurka by Xaver Scharwenka.  The "tune" was familiar, but not Xaver.


DOWNLOAD: Let's Dance--Freddy Martin and His Orch., featuring Merv Griffin, 1952


Let's Dance Tonight--Merv with Freddy

Tell Me--Same

Wabash Blues

Serenta--Merv with Freddy

At Your Command--Same

Parade of the Wooden Soldiers

Echoes of Love--Merv and The Martin Men with Freddy

Heavenly Symphony--Merv and the Glee Club with Freddy



Lee


5 comments:

Ernie said...

Happy Birthday to Merv! I mostly remember him a TV guy, but you've certainly introduced me to a large portion of his singing career. Thanks Lee!

Buster said...

Thanks for Merv - also Freddy!

Fanny Blancmange said...

I know this is late but thanks for the good fun of your 'Godzilla Suite' which I finally got round to listening to this week and which brightened up a couple of unpleasant days.

I had often wondered what would have happened if there was a mix-up at the maternity hospital concerning Jerry Goldsmith and Liberace. I think I've got an idea now.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Ernie and Buster,

You're welcome! I'd falsely remembered Merv's date of birth as June 6, then discovered my error. Then, because of the proximity between 7/6 and the Fourth, my tribute was delayed--however, I anticipated no email complaints in that regard. ("Hey, where' the Merv tribute??")

My behind-the-post report.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Fanny,

Glad you enjoyed my suite, and thanks for the amusing review! I appreciate the "Jerry Goldsmith" compliment. I don't exactly recall why I chose to semi-improvise/edit-compose all of those sections, except that, at that point in my work, I was going for a combination of dissonance and minimalism. To contrast with the carefully planned and step-entry sections. I thought the contrast between the two approaches might be amusing. And, yes, the "Rhapsody" was straight out of the pop-concerto tradition of Liberace, Ferrante and Teicher, and Roger Williams. I don't recall whether or not my piano chops were ever up to a live rendition of that sort. Maybe, back at age 17, with my piano lessons still in progress...