Sunday, January 27, 2019

Sunday morning gospel: Statesmen Q., Carl Story, Toney Brothers, Valley Voices






A tossed-together Sunday Morning Gospel from a CD-R I made in 2007.  Unfortunately, even though I originally entered album and date info, my MAGIX program will only retrieve title and artist info.  It's always been that way.  Rather annoying.

We start with the Statesmen Quartet, from 1962.  The three selections are from the RCA LP, Camp-Meeting Hymns, which appears to not be on CD.  Bluegrass gospel great Carl Story follows, and the tracks are from... wherever.  At least I have the years (I must have added them into the title field).  Sources are noisy.  Then, three by the Toney Brothers, LP unknown, then six a cappella selections by West Virginia's The Valley Voices--this LP I happened to still have.  And could find.  So, we have the scan above.  Enjoy!





CLICK HERE TO HEAR: SMG 1-27-19





There Is Power in the Blood--Statesmen Q. with Hovie Lister, 1962
Old Camp-Meeting Days--Same
I Shall Not Be Moved--Same
Echoes from the Burning Bush--Carl Story. 1955
God Put a Rainbow in the Cloud--Carl Story, 1956
I've Found a Hiding Place--Carl Story, 1947
He Will Set Your Fields on Fire--Carl Story, 1951
I Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now--Toney Brothers
Jonah--Same
Born Again--Same
What Will Your Answer Be--The Valley Voices
I Am on the Road--Same
Hard Working Pilgrim--Same
I Know I'll Feel at Home--Same
You Can Take My Place--Same
Who--Same

Lee




4 comments:

Buster said...

Thanks for the gospel comp!

Scott1669 said...

Excellent. My on-call week ends with these tracks. I sure love all that you do.
Scott1669

A man for whom Christ died said...

Lee,
Somewhere around eleven years ago, I came across your blog, through an older (text only) SMG and I'm so glad to see you doing them (the SMGs) again! Could you please post the Valley Voices album in it's entirety sometime? Where were they from in WV? Never heard 'em before, but love their stuff! They have a good sound and how'd they get that many words in Who LOL! I've heard What Will Your Answer Be somewhere else, but can't remember where at present. Also, from a production standpoint, I've only seen maybe one other album do what they did with the lead part, switching it between channels and for that matter, turning the reverb on and off. The other album where I've seen those things done, is from The Fellowship Quartet of Boone, NC, from maybe the early '70s? BTW, I've got my ol' trusty turntable hooked up to this new PC now, so let me know if you want anything and I'll see what we can do. Also a Carl Story fan too. Keep up the great work, love and prayin' for ya!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Callcast: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Hope everyone enjoys. And, yes, I can put the Valley Voices LP up next Sunday--I was already thinking of doing so. I found only one reference to my LP on line--a library holding. So it's pretty obscure!

Thanks for the nice words.