Tuesday, February 05, 2019

168 years later, they tricked me

I bought this cool 1851 collection for the "piano-forte" at a local flea market mall, and for the first time, I'm running through it.



 Soldier's Joy threw for me a major loop, because of the way it's notated  It first happens in the second-to-last measure on the first line treble staff, but it's mostly on the second line treble staff, the whole of which I circled using my Paint software.  The notes above the treble staff (that is, above the highest G) have what are called ledger lines.  In this folio's printing style, the ledger lines join in such a way that they seem to form a sixth line, making Bs looks likes Gs, and As like F#s, and so on.  Over the course of 168 years, the printers are messing with me!  Pretty neat trick.  I'm noticing the same carelessness in engraving on some other pages, too.  Meanwhile, there's a waltz called Buy a Broom which uses a very familiar folk melody--so familiar, I can't remember its name.  One piece in this book, Louisville March, shows up at the Library of Congress in its original sheet music, with date and composer info.  About thirty years out, and this folio was featuring it with no attribution.



Not sure what Piano without a Master means.  Possibly, it means that all the pupil needs is this instructional manual--no need to hire a teacher.  It's a moderately cheap grade of paper, but can't be wood pulp, else it would be nothing but a pile of paper chips by now.  A softbound volume this old is pretty cool--I usually see them from the 1880s or so.


Lee

2 comments:

Ernie said...

I'm guessing you're correct about the title. With this book, you don't need an instructor. Other than that, I don't know what you're talking about with your pianissimo's and your soto voce's...

Lee Hartsfeld said...

When I write my own stuff, I simply write in "slow," or "speed up," or "pause," with a V symbol I use for that purpose. Kind of a checkmark. As long as I can read it....