Friday, February 22, 2019

Paul Whiteman, Part Six! 1920-1933




It's past time for another helping of Paul Whiteman 78s--my series went into pause mode in November of last year so I could devote time to my annual Christmas blogging, but we're back.  All of today's twenty sides were ripped and repaired from my overflowing 78 collection by me and VinylStudio and MAGIX.  I still have four parts to go, so... on with the shoe.  And if you don't get that reference, you're what people my age call young.  Our playlist includes three #1 Whiteman hits--1920's magnificent The Japanese Sandman (Whiteman's second release), 1921's Cherie, and 1922's Three O'Clock in the Morning.  The 1925 Halloween classic Ah-Ha! (well, that's how I usually utilize it) features four vocalists, including Billy Murray, but I have no idea who's doing the Snidely Whiplash lead, so I'm leaving it at "vocal refrain," as on the label.  All are 10-inchers, save for the 12-inch I Can't Give You Anything but Love, recorded in 1928 (and featuring a highly creative Ferde Grofe arrangement) and Just Snap Your Fingers at Care--Darling (Medley) of 1920.

The single "hot" side is Doo Wacka Doo, featuring Billy Murray, only up front this time.  And what a voice--a tenor practically designed for the acoustical recording process .  Highly imaginative arranging throughout these numbers.  Disc condition varies, of course, but no moments of noise too awful to bear--nothing close to that.  Just a few bouts of opening wear, and stuff like that.  These are 78's--come on.

One George Gershwin number--an early one, of course.  I Found a Four Leaf Clover, from George White's Scandals of 1922.

To the Whiteman!




DOWNLOADPaul Whiteman, Pt. 6




I Found a Four Leaf Clover (Gershwin)--1922
Love Bird--Medley--1921
Three O'Clock in the Morning (A: Grofe)--1922
Song of India (A: Whiteman)--1921
Cho-Cho-San (A: Hugo Frey) 
Ty-Tee--1922
Oh, Joseph! (A: Grofe)--1924
Shanghai Lullaby (Isham Jones)--1923
Ah-Ha!--w. vocal refrain, 1925
Honolulu Eyes (A: Grofe)--1921
My Man (Mon Homme)--1921
I Can't Give You Anything but Love (A: Grofe)--v: Jack Fulton, 1928
Bright Eyes--Medley--1921
The Japanese Sandman (A: Grofe)--1920
When the Sun Bids the Moon Goodnight--v: Jack Fulton, 1933
Doo Wacka Doo--v: Bill Murray, 1924
Cherie--1921
'Neath the South Sea Moon--1922
Just Snap Your Fingers at Care--Darling (Medley)--1921
Pal of My Cradle Days (A: Grofe)--v: Lewis James, 1925

Lee




11 comments:

Buster said...

I'm so happy to see this series resume! Thanks, Lee.

rev.b said...

The day just got brighter! Thx Lee.

Ernie said...

Thanks Lee. I'm gone for a few days and I miss all sorts of goodies!

B._B. said...

Happy Sunday from Sunny So. Cal.!

I am itchin' to hear the response from Leeland on this one...

Has been on my mind since I got (Another "Thrift Score"...) this (“X”) LP . . .

“Censorship”. . . If you will . . . ?

“Political Correctness” in the '50s ? ? ?

“Revisionism,” perhaps ? ? ?

As one of the weird wild web's preeminent epicenters in the studies of Whitemanology, it occurred to me that the “MY(P)WHAE” archivists likely have on hand the Paul Whiteman song(s) in question. . . . The original 78(s) -OR- . . . The “X” (10-inch) LP:

“X” LVA-3040, Paul Whiteman's Orchestra featuring featuring Bix Beiderbecke

(Issued ca. 1955?)(NOT on Discogs!)

Paul Whiteman’s Orchestra
featuring Bix Beiderbecke
with Bing Crosby and the Rhythm Boys, and Fankie Trumbauer

See the LP's covers HERE:

Front:
http://www.recordsbymail.com/uploads/4-18-16-6/96969.jpg

Rear (liner notes are readable!):
http://www.recordsbymail.com/uploads/4-18-16-6/96969-2.jpg

Contents of the LP:

Side 1:

Lonely Melody
San
Mary
Changes

Side 2:

Dardanella
Back in Your Own Back Yard
Love Nest
Missisippi Mud


“A special note on “Missisippi Mud.” This is an edited down version... because of a vocal including a few words now quite properly considered objectionable...”


I would imagine it was something to do with some sort of “RACE” issue.

I DO not have a rekkid player set up to hear it, and wouldn't KNOW what's “Missing” anyhow, since I do NOT have the “unexpurgated” version... And dunno if it's ever been reissued...(!)

What say you, Mister Lee?

Lee Hartsfeld said...

B.B., That's one I don't have--I only even have a couple of the originals on 78. But Buster may have it--10-inch LPs are his specialty, and then some. Buster?

Buster said...

Sorry, that's one I don't have, sad to say!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

It might not pop up very often. The closest I had, at one point, was a Columbia 78 set that included "Sweet Sue," and which edited out Jack Fulton's vocal. I think it highlighted Beiderbecke, like the RCA LP.

B.B.,

I forgot to note--"Mississippi Mud" is about "darkies" dancing around. Lots of '20s songs used "darkies"--Without a Song, Old Man River, etc. When Whiteman re-recorded "Mud" for Coral, "darkies" became "people"--"All the people gather 'round and shout." I don't think I have the 78, but the unedited version is sure to be on YouTube.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

In fact.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUggD-VMl1w

Brian said...

Thanks for all the comments / follow-ups!

& (early) Hoppy Easter from Sunny So. Cal.

(Where . . . Sum day I will perhaps have the ability to "digitize" some "vinyls" . . . . . as the clueless Hipsters call 'em(!!!)

- B.

B.B. said...

I have a feeling that the YOOTOOB guy you provided the link to (Above) is the one my pal Tony "Down Under" has just told me THIS (BAD NEWS!) about...

I sure hope that the guy has his stuff "backed up" and/or maybe even can make a "come back" at some point . . .

MAYBE even in a "MY(P)WHAE" stylee...

- B.(egin Tony's note):

On Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 1:36 AM
"Tony" wrote:

I just heard the news that YT have shut down and removed all of MusicProf’s (alias Bob Moke) song postings as of April 23.  What a tragedy!......all those hours of devoted work down the gurgler.   Sometimes life just isn’t fair.  He provided a great service to collectors by posting all the material he owned, including priceless 78s from the 1920s up to and including the 1960s, in pristine sound, many of which were very rare items forgotten over time.  He did all the work to educate others in the music, including pointing out differences in versions of the same song  I notice a number of devastated followers have posted videos lamenting this sacrilege.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8g96h71U7o  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxOTuXY3iEM

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Had he stuck to the 1920s and 1930s, this might not have happened. But he was putting up big hits from the '50s. Maybe the '60s, if my memory is correct. That's asking to be taken down. I'm not agreeing with what happened--I do not. But what was he thinking?