Saturday, January 18, 2020

Hudson River Suite (Grofe)--Andre Kostelanetz and His Orch. (1955)







This time, it's Ferde Grofe's Hudson River Suite, plus a treat courtesy of fellow Grofe-phile/arranger Kevin Tam--a 1955 or 1956 interview with Andre Kostelanetz, in which Andre discusses the inspiration behind the suite and shares some Grofe details.  Andre had a charming Russian accent--a little thicker than I might have guessed, but of course I had no evidence to go by.

The voice behind the baton.  Thanks, Kevin!  I've put the interview in a separate file.

The suite itself is gorgeous, and I'll have to confess that this was not my initial reaction.  The year was 1981, and I think it was the third Grofe work I'd ever heard--after Grand Canyon and Mississippi--and it seemed too... light.  Too lacking in mass (despite the superb 1955, RIAA-curve fidelity).  I was expecting something more lively, I suppose.  Something more in line with what I'd come to regard as Grofe.  Nearly 40 years later, I find much to love in this suite, a piece which establishes its moods and describes its subjects in a subtle, restrained, and masterful fashion.  New York, the closing portion, was going to be longer--much longer--but for some reason Kostelanetz had Grofe shorten it to the blink-and-you'll-miss-it track we get here.  I'd have loved to hear the full movement, but it certainly makes for a memorable finish, even in its greatly abbreviated form (all 59 seconds of it!).

Rip Van Winkle was apparently written in 1932, though it didn't have a suite in which to function until Hudson River was commissioned in 1954.  I'd forgotten that the suite was the conductor's idea and not Ferde's--the Kosty interview reminded me of this fact--but Grofe's genuine enthusiasm for his assignment is evident throughout.  Unlike Aviation Suite, which has some inspired moments but suffers from too much repetition (even within its short playing time), Hudson River gives us perfectly and superbly maintained moods, with Rip (which also came out as a Kosty 45!) providing a bouncy, upbeat center.  Albany Night Boat, which, on first hearing (about 1981) struck me as pretty pointless, now impresses me as a masterful musical portrait, with the ingenious Dixieland section an amazing example of scored jazz that doesn't sound premeditated.  A neat piece of musical time-travel, similar to many moments in Grofe's 1960 San Francisco Suite, which you probably didn't know is available in a live performance (arranged by Kevin Tam, mentioned above) at YouTube.

Night Boat, which initially had me thinking, "This is a suite movement?" is now one of my favorite suite movements.

A contemporary assessment of this LP, written either for High Fidelity or Stereo Review, sarcastically described it as useful for testing one's hi-fi speakers (a knock on the sound effects used in Rip Van Winkle and the closing movement).  Grofe wasn't too popular with the critics by the 1950s.  Or maybe even before the '50s--I think there was much resentment that the Grand Canyon Suite was highly regarded by Toscanini when, in the minds of many critics, more worthy American composers had been passed over.  I think the bottom line is that light music often gets no respect. I know of two other commercial recordings of Hudson River--a Dutch recording in 1984 (which I'll be posting), and the 2002 NAXOS recording, conducted by William Stromberg.

Grab your paddle and sail down (and/or up) the Hudson River Suite--and don't forget to download Kosty's comments about it.




DOWNLOAD: Hudson River Suite (Grofe)--Andre Kostelanetz and His Orch. (1955)
                   Andre Kostelanetz, interviewed about the suite (1955?)



The River
Hendrik Hudson
Rip Van Winkle
Albany Night Boat
New York


Hudson River Suite (Grofe)--Andre Kostelanetz and His Orch. (Columbia CL 763; 1955)


Lee

5 comments:

Buster said...

Thanks for these items, Lee. I've never seen the interview before.

David Federman said...

I just listened to "The Valley of the Sun Suite"--and sweet it was, especially that third movement, "Masque of the Yellow Moon," with the brass chorale followed by the chorus. Ferde sure could write 'em purty when he wanted to. I am anxious to see if Ferde was as good with air as he was earth and water. Great stuff. You're as much an oasis as ever. Thanks.

Ernie said...

I need to find that interview record! I wonder if it's part of this Columbia Retailer series?

https://www.discogs.com/label/770991-Columbia-Retailer

I've seen a couple of 45s that look similar from Columbia, but I don't think they are from the same series, since I think the dates on them was in the sixties, and these all look to be mid-fifties.

Eric said...

Thank you for all the Grofe. Some of this music is really obscure and I am glad to make its acquaintance.
I don't want to be seen as complaining, BUT, might you be planning to release the rest of the material on this record? A piece by the King of Thailand and some other oddities would not be out of place on this blog.

Thank you for all the music.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

I'll be happy to put up the other side. A little busy with other stuff at the moment, but I anticipated I'd get a request for it. So, give me a week or so. Thanks for dropping by!