Saturday, August 15, 2020

Harbor Lights Quartet--In the Upper Room (1963): Classic gospel from Lee Records



I have no memories of Lee Records, but I was only seven when this came out, so maybe I just have lousy recollection.  I'd have been one of the world's youngest record label owners, certainly.  I do remember Battle Creek, Michigan (from which all of these singers hail), but it's from all of those TV toy ads of the day--I don't recall ever living there.  Maybe I worked from my home in Toledo.  Anyway, the Harbor Lights Quartet is terrific, so I sure had good taste.  Well, that's assuming I was the A&R man, which I probably was, since it was Lee Records.  The quartet sounds a bit like the Statesmen, probably because it harbors (no pun intended) a similarly high high tenor.  Or, as it's known in close (Barbershop) harmony, the "tenor."  It doesn't pay to think too hard about these things.

As for "Why are there five guys if this was a quartet?"--the second man (or first in the top row) was the pianist, Phil Colsell.  He's very good, though I can't say I remember him.  My piano teacher was Elmer Gertz, so I know that Phil didn't function in that capacity, and--well, it's just all a blur.  If that.  I suppose it's possible I didn't own Lee Records, that some other Lee did.  Discogs isn't much help--of the label, it says, "Lansing, MI label."  No mention of me.  But omission doesn't equal transmission.  No, wait.  I mean, it doesn't equal... um... I forgot what that saying was.  If, in fact, there is a saying.  The mystery deepens by the second.

Anyway, I was going to make a joke about the cover art--as in, how did a low-budget outfit like Lee Records land the services of Leonardo da Vinci?  Ha, ha!  But, hey, there's "Lee" again--Leonardo.  Close enough.  The clues are adding up.

Three of these songs, I knew mainly by their titles, and they're good numbers--Peace Like a River, In the Upper Room, and J.D. Sumner's Old Country Church.  That last title is one I'm always mixing up with Herbert Buffum's Old-Fashioned Meeting (1922), because the themes are so close--though Buffum's hymn (which just took me about a half hour to find in my songbooks) doesn't include quotations from older hymns, as does Sumner's.  And there was another Old Country Church, by J.W. Vaughan, from 1930-something (can't read the print), and it's lyrically similar, so this just goes to show that popular gospel recycles its themes pretty regularly, like all other pop forms.  I suppose someone could reverse the tradition with a number called The Recent Songs I Haven't Learned Yet at the New-Fashioned Church.

When I Survey is done to a different tune than usual, for those expecting the standard Lowell Mason air (Hamburg, 1824).  "Hey, where's Hamburg?"  "In Germany, I think."

This Lee Records special was a thrift gift from Diane, and I thank Diane for today's gospel.  And that photo--doesn't the group look like it loves its job?  That's one thing I really dig about these made-to-sell-at-public-appearances sacred LPs--the way they show ordinary people of a given period posing and dressing like... ordinary people.  We're so used to fancy, carefully planned commercial LP jackets that normal can look amusing.  I remember, a few decades back, when a maker of genuinely funny commercials (back when ads involved a degree of creativity) was asked how he managed to find such unique looking individuals for his highly effective spots.  And his reply, of course, is that he simply used everyday-looking actors (many recruited to speak only one line)--folks who looked odd only in comparison to the exceptional specimens that populate TV programs.

Today's lesson from... Lee Records!

And I got the year from the RCA Custom matrix in the "dead wax," which starts with P--meaning 1963.  And, hey--I'm copyrighted (see label)!  I had no idea.  Funny--I don't feel any different.




DOWNLOAD: Harbor Lights Quartet--In the Upper Room (Lee Records H-101; 1963)











Lee, formerly of Lee Records


12 comments:

A man for whom Christ died said...

Thanks Lee, for this Yankee look at Southern Gospel. It's interesting, some of the contrasts, such as the Bass lead on I've Been With Jesus, usually heard the Tenor or Alto lead the chorus. I didn't know Doy Ott (sp) wrote any songs and I also have never heard that melody to Survey, either. There were some other comments I was gonna make, but I don't remember what they are right now and I don't have the folder open in front of me, but if those factors are taken out of the equation, ya know I'll be back LOL! Again, thanks, love and prayin' for ya! Oh and isn't that supposed to be (on The Old Country Church in the essay) James D. (J.D.) Vaughan?

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Callcast: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Hi, Josh! Glad you enjoyed, and it's definitely J.W., not J.D. That surprised me, too! According to Hymnary.org, his name was John Whitfield Vaughan, and he lived from 1879 to 1945. I wonder if he was a relation?

A man for whom Christ died said...

HMMMM, interesting. I'd say, he very well could-a-been related. Is he the one who wrote the one everybody knows, Ther's a place dear to me, where I'm longing to be, with my friends at the old country church? And shouldn't that be, the old, country church anyway? LOL!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Callcast: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

Lee Hartsfeld said...

That's the one! And I'm not sure on the comma...

A man for whom Christ died said...

Thought so and I'm not sure either, but I believe the words old and country, are adjectives, describing the church. Even with that though, wouldn't it be the old, country, church? ARGH, my wife is the teacher, reckon I should ask her LOL! Here's something else considering, how even way back in the times we would consider old, how folk longed to get back to the good ol' days, so to speak. Yes, sentimentality does play into it, but in some aspect (more of this where I see it), there is a desire to get back to doctrinal purity, true Bible living. Just think about the three songs mentioned, The (is there a The there) Old-Fashioned Meeting, The Old Country Church and The Old Country Church, and I believe you'll see that desire there, too.

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Callcast: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Excellent question, Josh. Of course, in these cyber-days, punctuation rules pretty much no longer apply! But I think "old" and "country," when used to modify "church," would count as cumulative adjectives (as opposed to coordinate adjectives). Coordinate adjectives are adjectives that have equal importance--in other words, adjectives that we'd join with "and." Such as, "it was a hot and windy church." Or, a "hot, windy church." In "old country church," however, "country" is the main modifier, since it tells us the type of church. That it's an OLD church is sort of by the by. (Bye the bye?)

Not sure that made sense, but I don't think we'd type, "It was an old and country church." Hence, no comma.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

And I agree with your doctrinal purity point. "Old country church" could just as easily be the "genuine country church."

A man for whom Christ died said...

Actually, I think you've cleared it up, rather nicely! Speaking of old country church, ever heard The Old Country Church Quartet, of Pelham, NC. They sung for years, out of the Sheldon Baptist Church there in Pelham and as a side-note, two of the previous pastor's last names were Hall and they both sung Bass in the quartet, no relation (as far as I know) BTW LOL!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Callcast: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

A man for whom Christ died said...

Yes sir, the word genuine, could very aptly replace old, in that sense.

A man for whom Christ died said...

Sorry, that should-a-read, ever heard The Old Country Church Quartet, of Pelham, NC?

Diane said...

Love this essay, Lee! Here's hoping "the mystery" clears up soon. (Har-dee-har-har!) You gave me a good laugh that I sorely needed. And I learned lots o' stuff, too. (P in dead wax for year? The things you know continue to fascinate me.)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lee, I read your comments for your religious posts, but rarely download. This one was a must. Read Barber Shop Quartet in the post and I had to have it. I had been introduced to Barbershop Quartets some years ago. While not a favorite, I admire their sounds. Like in that old I Love Lucy bit or the Sportsmen Quartet from I think the old Fibber Magee and Molly show, plus Jack Benny. What great old radio shows. Glad many exist as mp3s. Now those shows had writers and real talented performers. Also, I have a few mp3s of LPs of Barbershop Quartets from internet stores. So glad you posted this one. Bryan