Sunday, August 23, 2020

My Home--The Jubilee Quartet w. Whitey Gleason at the Piano (Mid-America Recordings LPST-203; 1966)



A stock cover, but a nice one.  On the back jacket, there are hard-to-see signatures from three of the members: Buddy Campbell, Norman Huxman, and the fabulous pianist, Whitey Gleason.  With the right lighting, they'd have shown up fine, but my scanner simply won't capture them (see above--or try to), even when I adjust the color levels after the fact.  Maybe I should try some "live" shots.

Okay, I just took some, using my computer desk lamp for the lighting.  The signatures are way easier to see...




So, imagine my surprise when I saw the great Lee Roy Abernathy listed under "Background Music" for this disc!  The composer of Gospel Boogie.  The astounding piano on these tracks, however, is supplied by "Whitey" Gleason (first signature).  The performances are marvelous, and the Jubilee Quartet appears to be from Georgia.  Not positive, but in the notes, "Whitey" Gleason mentions spending "many memorable and fruitful hours" in Abernathy's home studio in Canton Georgia.  In fact, this was recorded there--I'm looking at the credits now.  The label, Mid-American Recordings, was located in Memphis TN.  Quite a few of these numbers were tunes I've recently become acquainted with, so this LP--another thrift gift from Diane--is very good timing.

However, I'm rushing to press, and it's not because I waited too long to rip this, but because I had to overcome some limitations in the sound.  I don't know what happened, but one possibility is that, when this was being mastered, someone accidentally turned the treble knob all the way to the left. The sound was all bass and mid-range, and muffled highs.  I did two re-EQ's, and both turned out too weak in the lower end.  Third try, I simply added a pinch of treble and called it a day.  I didn't get great results, but what you'll hear is much better than what I was getting from the grooves.

Weak treble or no, this is a winner all the way--expert singing of the muscular Statesmen Quartet type, with workmanlike piano that occasionally breaks out in amazing passages.

Last time or so, I mentioned Barbershop, and there's a lot of Barbershop feeling here.  At this point in history (1962 1966) close harmony groups of any and every type were typically packed with "Barbershop" touches--touches that even found their way into the piano accompaniments.  For instance, the (probably African-American in origin) bit of "sliding" chromatically during a chord change, where time permitted.  And the vocal swoops, and so on.  These things had become integrated into close harmony singing, which, as I've noted before, is a phrase defined differently wherever you happen to look it up (my favorite definition has the top three voices contained within the range of an octave, with the bass free to roam).  I take the simple route--close harmony is simply that: close.  As in, notes close together.  It's harmony contained within the range of male voices--hence, the notes are literally scrunched together, with overlapping whenever necessary.  The "lead" (or tenor) can carry the melody, or it can harmonize above it.  The bottom line is that close harmony gets its special sound by the requirements of containing harmonies within a fairly narrow range (not a problem with SATB harmony).  Close harmony is typically notated in treble and bass clef fashion, with the understanding that the upper part will be taken down an octave.  In such a case, the formally correct way to notate the upper line is to add an "8" under the treble clef (to indicate one octave lower), but lots of close harmony is notated with a funky "tenor" clef that's not to be confused with the actual tenor clef used in Classical music.  I hope all that wasn't as confusing as it sounded to me.

Wow.  I really didn't get to saying the stuff I wanted to, but I'm out of time, so this essay will have to do.  Bottom line: great Southern quartet gospel.  Grade A.  The real deal.  I'd have preferred more treble, but it's a little late to write the label and ask for a remastering...

The set ends with one of my late foster mother's favorite hymns--He Hideth My Soul, which features one of the brilliant Fanny Crosby's most exceptionally distinguished and moving texts.






DOWNLOAD: The Jubilee Quartet: My Home (1962 1966) (Correct year provided by Bob.  Thanks, Bob!)










Lee

11 comments:

Bob said...

There is no reliable source regarding the date of the JQ/WG releases. The album you've just posted is definitively not from 1962. It was pressed by Rite Records in... 1966. That's also when Billboard (June 4, 1966 issue) told us that the Jubilee Quartet is a "reactivated group" that Don Light signed for a booking agreement.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Thanks. I should have checked the Rite matrix, but I trusted the Jubilee Quartet discography I found. I was in too much of a hurry! Thanks for correcting my goof.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

I trusted this source:

https://www.sghistory.com/index.php?n=J.JubileeQuartet

A man for whom Christ died said...

Wow Lee, thanks for this interesting find! I'm sure the singing is great, but other than those song book singalong split-channel albums, I've never seen an album where the music is all one one channel and the singing is on the other (both for the most part). Thing is, I'm having issues with my speakers, mainly, the one where the singing is LOL, so I'll have to check it out more thoroughly, later. I had forgotten that Abernathy had a home studio and I didn't know that he wrote My Home, a song I've only heard two other places, two different families. Oh and speaking of My Home, that's the only cut where the channels are switched, so my inoperative speaker set-up um, worked, for it LOL! Abernathy could very well be supplying some of the accompaniment herein, only on something other than the piano. I've heard (mostly as a theme to a couple classic-themed SGM shows) an instrumental version of Gospel Boogie (AKA, Everybody's Gonna Have A Wonderful Time Up There), on which I'm not sure what he's playing LOL! On said version, it also appears (to my ears anyway), that the rhythm is provided by an organ-preset beat, 'cause it goes/fades long after he's done LOL! Oh and on the close harmony comments, have you ever seen the sheet music to Heavenly Parade? I'd call that a Convention Song, if there ever was one! Here it is, (twice) by The Cathedrals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgte-0QzuIU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Y_uneBpiQ

And, here it is, by The Thrasher Brothers (one of their most famous numbers).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFUN2fNTDXI

I keep trying to find it by The Le Fevres (my favorite version), but to no avail. Enough of my rambling, thanks again, love and prayin' for ya!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Callcast: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Josh--Thanks. I'll give those a listen. And I hope you can correct the speaker problem! Best of luck with that. Yes, these tracks are practically binaural instead of stereo--I hate the Vocals-on-one-side bit. Capitol Records used that with the Beach Boys and Beatles (when they weren't using their fake "duophonic" stereo), and I wish it hadn't been used here--though I listen through headphones, and the mix probably sounds less artificial on phones than it would through speakers.

I've never seen the music to Heavenly Parade. I may have it in one of my many songbooks, though--I'll try to look it up.

Thanks for the info, and best of luck with your malfunctioning speaker!

Diane said...

It's weird to me how recording data can be so mixed up, where one datebase has a year, and a second has another year, and the deadwax says something completely different (or nothing at all). I guess most records were like movies and TV shows were at one time, considered to have a limited shelf life, so why bother preserving either the art itself or information about it? I'd say I hope the internet would bring more order to such things, but we've already seen the disorder it's sown elsewhere.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

I totally agree, though in this case, it's really my fault, since I trusted the info I found in the discography, which in turn is part of a large site devoted to Southern Gospel history. The moral: always check things out. I should have at least checked out the Rite matrix (unless, of course, there turned out not to be one-- I didn't look!). I'm usually skeptical, and my obsessive nature usually has me double-checking stuff, but I was rushing to press. I should've known!

Diane said...

Always blame the deadline.

A man for whom Christ died said...

On the speakers, Lee, it's an ongoing issue, that's only gotten worse over time, a short that's gotten bigger, if that's the way these things go. Kinda goes along with the teratory, all these wires over here (not to mention the ones across the table), kinda reminds me of some station board set-ups I've used in the past LOL! I use head phones sometimes, especially when I'm doing some major editing, but anymore, I usually find myself just turning the volume up and forgetting my glasses, as I call 'em LOL! On Heavenly Parade, I hadn't heard The Thrasher Brothers' version in years (their show-ending way of playing hide-and-go-seek) and I forgot how wore out that Baritone singer singing Tenor, got LOL! Oh and I meant to write LeFevres, without the space. Another Convention Song in that vein, is Leave Your Sorrows And Come Along, popularized by The Happy Goodmans and The Kingsmen.

Happy Goodman Family https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcIytGfN-ME

Kingsmen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S_yOuiXAec

Typed enough, trying to get over this sick headache, so 'til later, love and prayin' for ya!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Callcast: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Hi, Josh.


Hope your headache is better. The ragweed pollen and up-and-down humidity has been given me temporary migraines, so I feel your pain.

Sorry to get to the videos so late--marvelous stuff. The Cathedrals are incredible, and the number is a classic. Thrashers are terrific, too. They handle the contrapuntal section quite expertly. Love the audience reaction!

I'm going to heave to find the music to this.

I'm going to give the other two a listen here. Wow--Listen to Your Sorrows is definitely in that same vein. The Goodmans are terrific, as always. The Kingsmen were one of my English prof foster mother's favorite groups--she loved their "Old Ship of Zion." And the Kingsmen are marvelous here. Flawless mix, unbeatable bass. Fabulous high tenor, too. Thanks so much for these links!

Hope you're feeling better, and hope you get a chance to listen to my Jack Bishop post--prime bluegrass gospel.

A man for whom Christ died said...

Thank you sir, for asking about the headache, I was back to work the following Thursday. I enjoy those (what I call) Convention Songs, especially when they're done as good as those are LOL! I will say though, however, it's kinda odd, that The Thrasher Brothers did a couple of those lines wrong, the whole time LOL! On the theatrics (hide-and-go-seek), I heard somewhere, one time at least, that, some of the group members went outside during that bit, WOW! On The Kingsmen, one of the singers, maybe the Lead (whichever one said here we go now, before they all came back in) was Wayne Maynard, from my old hometown of Greensboro, NC! His biggest hit with them, was Child, Child. I've got the Jack Bishop folder and will post accordingly. Thanks, love and prayin' for ya!