Saturday, October 31, 2020

Halloween LeeWorks for 2020!

 


A late bonus post for Halloween--nineteen of my own spooky compositions, most written between 2009 and 2011.  At the time, I had a Casio CTK-551, which sounded better than you would think, especially with all the MAGIX effects I added.  I have some more recent pieces I wanted to add, but finding the CD-Rs would take hours, so...

I don't remember when I wrote my Halloween Fugue, or what it was originally called.  It dates back to 1989 or so, though the recording is from 2011.  Pieces like Poker Night in Dracula's Castle are experiments with extreme applications of echo delay, accomplished with multiple saves.  Throughout this set, there's a lot of track overlapping and speed manipulation and other fun.  Most of these are me "live" at the keyboard, with all multi-tracking accomplished in a primitive fashion (often with me unable to hear the part I was dubbing over), and the really virtuosic-sounding numbers were accomplished with my old Noteworthy Composer program, using step-time sequencing.  I think I got nice results on these with such low-budget means.  Or by them; whatever the right preposition happens to be.

I did some editing on these, paring things down.  Many have gone through multiple versions over the years, so, for some titles, these can be considered the latest editions.

My Toccatica was my attempt to redo Bach's famous Toccata and Fugue in D minor in an Exotica vein--and it almost works.  Anyway, that explains the title, at least.  My Hauntovani Waltzes were written... who knows when?  Actually, I had a single waltz I'd written (back in 2000 or so) in a Hauntovani mode, and, for this track, I pulled two waltzes out of storage to make a trio.  Not sure if the other two had names.  Funeral Disco is my Disco version of Gounod's Funeral March of a Marionette, and The Haunted Choir Room features a ghostly choir made up of... me.  I was multi-tracking in my primitive MAGIX-to-MAGIX fashion, trying to do some four-part harmony.  It didn't come out that well, but with the effects piled on, I made an excellent ghost choir.  So... enjoy!

I'll just let New Blogger double-space my playlist this time...


DOWNLOAD: LeeWorks Halloween 2020



ALL COMPOSITIONS WRITTEN AND PERFORMED BY LEE HARTSFELD

Halloween Fugue (c. 1989)

Poker Night in Dracula's Castle

Junk Mail at the Deserted Manor

(You Don't Want To) Get on Board the Ghost Train

Morbid Moments

Toccatina

Food Fight in Space

Dracula's Doorbell

Halloween March

Funeral Disco (Gounod, Adapted Lee H.)

Piano in Outer Space

Galaxies in Collision

Missile in the Moon

The Dead Sitcom Zone

Slaytude in A minor

The Haunted Radio

The Haunted Piano

Haunted Choir Room

Three Hauntovani Waltzes



Lee


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lee, GREAT innovated collection. You're so multitalented in various ways. I found your site through Ernie (Not Bert) maybe a few years ago. I seem to recall the first download I collected was a collection of your comps that included Staiway to Heaven. I have no idea where I placed that one. Then I collected your comps Christmas at Halloween. Again, where I stored it is a mystery too. I was thinking of watching a Godzilla type film this Sunday morning as the weather is rainy and 52 degrees. Good to stay under the covers. Now I see you put together a Godzilla collection. Wow!!! And Rosie is so beautiful. I am a cat lover. Nothing like them. Bryan

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Bryan--Thanks for the nice words. I'm getting similar weather--it's 50 degrees, windy, but not raining. Rosie was my blog mascot, but she passed away some time back now. I still miss her. I have four guys right now--one is meowing for food outside the door. Have a great Sunday!

Ernie said...

Happy Halloween, Lee! Thanks for the music!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Sure!

Timmy said...

Impressive. Thank You Kindly . . .

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Timmy,

My pleasure. Thanks for the compliment!

Anonymous said...

bit late here...but what a great find! many thanks for the share

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Sure! A late Happy Halloween!