Monday, December 25, 2023

More Merry Mervmas, Tu Scendi Dalle Stelle, Holiday Favorites (Gilmar)

 




DOWNLOAD: More Mervmas and Tu Scendi Dalle Stelle

I guess this will be my December 25 post (in fact, Christmas is nine minutes away).  I would have revived more "banned" posts and put up a couple more "new" LPs, but my storage options are limited, and I quickly exceeded Box.com's downloading bandwidth.  Which I don't want to do at pixeldrain.  MEGA?  Won't let me use it.  Clearly, I'm the only music blogger uploading material with any copyright-claim potential.  Obviously.  Oh, and thanks to all who recommended alternate hosting sites.

Things start with three Merv Griffin sides I present every Christmas. The first two--1950's Sleigh Ride and Christmas Time--date from Merv's time as vocalist for the Freddy Martin Orchestra. The third--1962's Christmas City--was recorded by Merv for the annual Christmas City of the North Parade in Duluth, Minnesota. Nice song, well arranged, well recorded, and Merv is fine, my only issue being his pronunciation of "youth"--"Come this Christmas, and you'll suddenly find your youth," which initially sounded to my ears like, "...and you'll suddenly find you're you." Which sort of works, but not nearly as well as "youth."

And I'll skip ahead to the Gilmar Holiday Favorites 45 rpm EP, its A and B sides combined into one file.  Both sides feature a continuous groove, with awkward pauses and fades between selection fragments. The engineering ineptitude is of the have-to-hear-it-to-believe type, and many of the recordings are very familiar, though I can't place them.  Tops?  Eli Oberstein?  Maybe I'll have time to find out at some point.  I swear that the B side sounds like something cobbled together while the guy at the controls dozed off.  ("Wha... what?  Oh, yeah, I'm mixing a side.  I forgot.")

And the gorgeous Tu Scendi Dalle Stelle (You Come Down From the Stars) is a 1732 Christmas carol featuring words and music by Saint Alphonsus Liguori of Italy.  Here's the wonderful comment I received in 2020 by Roberto of Milan, Lombardy.  The references are to guesses I'd made in my post:

"Hi, I have some other records from that series -not this one, so thank you very much-. You're right about the interpretation of "4 voci dispari": here it is second case, all-male adult/children. The plaque in the town of Nola (close to Naples, not LA) tells the song was written there in december 1754, yet those were the years indeed. For the Italian generations born no matter when from 19th to 20th century this one was the pretty first Xmas tune to be heard and learned by heart. The child introducing the song is a guest of the Orphanage -turned into a private high scool nowadays-: he calls himself "Ricciolino" [Curly] and he's 13. He's thanking all the benefactors, to whom this record is probably given as a freebie, wishing season greetings to all Italians in and outside the Country -emigrants were still many in 1959, that should be the year- asking everyone to remember and help the lonely like him and his companions. Then the song begins, just first verse and twice refrain. You won't escape the translation, just as horrible as only mine could be:

[O Blessed God!] 
You come down from the stars 
O King of Heaven 
[O King of Heaven] 
And come to a cave 
In the cold, in the frost 
And come to a cave 
In the cold, in the frost 

O my Divine Child 
I see you trembling here
O Blessed God
Ah, how much it did cost you 
For loving me! 
Ah, how much it did cost you 
For loving me! [2]

Even the manufacturer Cellograf-Simp survives today, with production and marketing strategies slightly different though... Always been into plastics, at those times it first finalized others' given masters, later starting an editorial branch of its own (Phonocolor/Style). From late 50s to early 60s it was the main flexis stamper in Italy and yes, a bit more thickness has always featured its production. They were mainly freebies: Italy was living an economic boom back then and after purchasing the right amount of any stuff you always got your flexi thrown to. Sorry the lengthy... Roberto - Milan, Lombardy -not so far from Desenzano-"

Merry Christmas!


Lee

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few minutes to St.Stephens in Italy by now, yet the very Christmasday visit to your wonderful blog has become a "classic" to me, so I'm glad to see the offering of "Tu scendi..." renewed: greater and greater the number of people in my Country who don't know this tune nowadays... Thank you again, Lee, and Merry Xmas to you and all the best in the future to your blog and to all beautiful music enthusiasts stopping by. Ciao, Roberto, Milan

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Roberto,

Thank you! And a wonderful Xmas to you, too!

Ernie said...

Merry Christmas Lee! Another great Christmas season!

gimpiero said...

GREAT!

musicman1979 said...

Belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, Lee! Until Workupload turned on you and became the Grinch that stole your blog, you featured quite a few great records this year that I am already going to start looking for in my own personal record hunts. At least I have my own copies of the Paul Mauriat, Hugo Winterhalter, Sammy Kaye, and Christianaires Choir LP's you featured this year. Praying that 2024 will be the year that you will be able to find a new sharing service and that you will have a good year, health-wise. See you in 2024, and God bless you.

PS: Really like your recent Toppers Upload of Tears on My Pillow on Lee's Fake Hits. It's closer to the original Little Anthony and the Imperials recording and not the "Jack Richards/Steve Marks" putting his own sound on the song in the Broadway/Gilmar/Halo version. Hope Pixeldrain will be able to clear Biggest Hits of '58, Volume One on RCA Camden for blog-approval here.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

musicman1979,

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you, too! And one thing I learned from my collection of antique postcards is that both greetings took a while to gain central status: Any number of alternate greetings can be seen on even the postcards of the 1920s. Some are pretty amusing. And I'm hoping for better file-hosting luck, too. I hope, for instance, that Box returns to normal on Jan. 1, that my downloading bandwidth will be restored. I have no stats, but I suspect I got some good traffic here--otherwise, Box wouldn't have conked out, so to speak.

And an extra-cool Sammy Kaye LP to come.

musicman1979 said...

Looking forward to it. Swing And Sway A-Go-Go, perhaps? or will it be New Twists on Old Favorites?

Lee Hartsfeld said...

I'll never tell!