Sunday, October 06, 2019

Favorite gospel tracks, Part 8--More shouting, more Smith's Sacred Singers



Hopefully, there aren't any doubled or mismatched tracks in this zip file--I must have uncovered four of them after first assembling the thing.  Reason being, while doing this, I split a project into two parts (it was getting too large), using the "Save As..." function and assigning new project titles.  No room to explain, but this created issues, and tracks got duplicated.  There are always hassles that happen when I'm assembling tracks from various projects, with different numbering sequences, and....  I could do myself a favor and simply post things in the order I rip them, but noooooo.  That would be too easy.

Hopefully, I've successfully fixed this zip file.  (Is there such a thing as unsuccessfully fixing something?  Hmm....)  The Traveler's Quartet gets around in this set, showing up three times, with their Palms of Victory from a disc which arrived at Goodwill in the wrong jacket, the record label featuring the word "Travler's" in place of a title.  Which has me thinking "Travler's" is the label name.  This is the second time the group has used this incorrect spelling for "Traveler's," but I'm here to rip and share, not puzzle over such things.  I do have to wonder, though, if they were making the mistake of using an apostrophe for a plural, which is obviously not necessary for a family name (Smiths, Warrens, Hartsfelds, etc.).  Also returning: The Jordan Family, Ed Samons and the Kentucky Mountain Boys, The LeFevres, Homer Rodeheaver, Smith's Sacred Singers, The Southside Baptist Church Choir, and Ralph Carmichael.  Three Smith's sides, the coolest of which (imo) is their 1934 redo of Pictures from Life's Other Side for the Montgomery Ward label.  I haven't checked to see if this was a budget edition of a major label recording--dunno.  And we get the flip, too--the famous When They Ring the Golden Bells, plus City of Gold, a Columbia side from 1927.

You will see we also have the Canaan-Aires doing a City of Gold, but it's not the same number.  Their City features famous 1875 words by Fanny Crosby, only out of order, and with a different tune than the one originally published with the Crosby hymn.  As for the Smith's City of Gold, I was able to find exactly nothing about it.  Zilch.  I did find a The City of Gold in a Stamps-Baxter songbook, but it's not it.  And if this paragraph made an ounce of sense, please let me know.

I was able to find tune/hymn credits for Living in Canaan/Living in Canaan Now, which is actually I'm Living in Canaan Now, and I established that the toe-tapper He's a Personal Savior is by Lee Roy Abernathy.  Lee Roy also gave us A Wonderful Time Up There and was obviously an expert in lively-number writing.  He probably couldn't not write a lively number.   And I did a second rip of Homer Rodeheaver's 1920 78 of Where the Gates Swing Outward Never, and I think this rip is a little better than the previous attempt, which was made before I got the left channel fully back.  (Always check your cable connections, folks.)  This time I added the 1921 flip side, a very nice A.H. Ackley song called All the Way to Calvary.

Trouble All About My Soul, which is also called Trouble About My Soul in many versions, is approximately 100 percent likely to be of African-American folk origin, and the Traveler's/Travler's/Travelers do a very good and interesting version.  Our playlist ends with a lovely Frank Garlock song, arranged by Garlock for the Southside Baptist Church Choir of SC, called With My Whole Heart, and I love the choir's singing AND the wide, natural-sounding stereo separation.

Enjoy!  Hope I got all the bugs out.  I probably missed something....





DOWNLOAD: Favorite Gospel Tracks, Part 8







If You Don't Love Your Neighbor (Carl Story?)--The Jordan Family
Living in Canaan Now (Baxter, Jr.-Center)--The Canaan-Aires
Living in Canaan (Baxter, Jr.-Center)--The New Horizons
Hark, Ten Thousands Harps and Voices (Kelly-Mason)--London Philharmonic Choir, 1981
Shoutin' on the Hills of Glory (Bartlett)--The Stanley Brothers, 1964
Hills of Glory (Bartlett)--Ed Samons and the Kentucky Mountain Boys, 1967
City of Gold (Fanny Crosby)--The Canaan-Aires
Pictures from Life's Other Side--Smith's Sacred Singers (Montgomery Ward 4804; 1934)
When They Ring Those Golden Bells (Marbelle)--Same
Sweeter as the Days Go By (Geneser Smith)--The LeFevres, 1963?
Are You Washed in the Blood of the Lamb (Hoffman)--The Taylor Mountain Boys, 1968
Will the Circle Be Unbroken (Habershon-Gabriel)--The Temple Quartet
Palms of Victory (Matthias)--The New Horizons
Same--The Traveler's Quaret
I'll Have a New Life (Luther G. Presley)--The Leach Family
Palms of Victory (Matthias)--The Florida Boys, 1966
Where the Gates Swing Outward Never (Gabriel)--Mrs. William Asher-Homer Rodeheaver, 1920
All the Way to Calvary (A.H. Ackley)--Homer Rodeheaver, 1921
He's a Personal Savior (Lee Roy Abernathy)--The Traveler's Quartet
Touring That City (Harold Lane)--The Gospel Bells Quartet
City of Gold--Smith's Sacred Singers, 1927
I Never Walk Alone (A.H. Ackley)--Laymen Singers, Dir. Ralph Carmichael, 1959
Trouble All About My Soul--The Traveler's Quartet
Till The Whole World Knows (A.H. Ackley-B.D. Ackley)--Unknown Artist (Word SPL 404)
With My Whole Heart (Frank Garlock)--The Southside Baptist Church Choir


Lee









11 comments:

groovylounge said...

I apprestate so much your hard work but honestly, I don't download much of it due to the fact that there is no proper tagging. Each track should be encoded with the date, artwork, etc. What app do you use to play your tracks? Thanks!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

I use MAGIX Audio Cleaning Lab MX, and I fill in all the data--artists, album titles and dates, plus genre (usually "oldies," since none of the other zillion options apply). As for artwork, I've started to add jacket and label scans in addition to the sound files, but with the various-artists gospel stuff, that would take me weeks....

A man for whom Christ died said...

Thanks for another great folder Lee! This one had me playing two songs twice already, something I don't usually do, 'til I check everything out at least once LOL! It also has brought up some interesting questions/comments, not in order though, so grab a-hold and hang on! With Shoutin' from The Stanley Brothers (which I have the album of, featuring George Shuffler, in glorious mono), is the Bartlett or Stanley (think I know the answer) credit actually on that album, because as we've discussed before, there are two songs with similar titles and choruses (if that's a word). I appreciate The Canaan-Aires' instrumentation and style (even if they did their songs slower than I've ever heard them, nice touch though), but I sure wish them (Living In Canaan Now) and The Leach Family (I'll Have A New Life) would-a-consulted the hymnal before going in to record. I'd say, both groups just heard the songs on the radio, records or both, without much other consideration, but anyway. The Canaan-Aires' version of City Of Gold, is the only way I've ever heard it and have always loved it, ever since hearing/playing it twenty-five years ago, in the church where the LORD saved me! Loved playing it in the key of F, which is (I believe) the key the music is in. I clicked on Touring That City and if I didn't know it was somebody else, I'd almost say it was The Inspirations, due to that almost-copycat guitar intro LOL! Of course, I'd say the whole cut is Inspirations soundalike, but you know what they say about imitation, which in some aspects, isn't a bad thing. Oh and here's something I've wondered about for years, but never asked, so consider yourself blessed/lucky Lee LOL! What does the suffix Aires mean? I've seen it (and variations thereof) in Gospel groups over the years and have always wondered...

Oh and one thing I remembered from last week. The Gethsemane Quartet is from my old hometown of Greensboro, NC! In fact, I lived just a couple miles from their headquarters (The Andrews' house), right on 29! Great post, appreciate so much your hard work! 'Til later, love and prayin' for ya!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Callcast: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

Lee Hartsfeld said...

It's the Carter credit on the LP. Both his version and the original are in verse/chorus form--eight bars each. In the 1925 Bartlett original, the music is different for each, whereas Carter keeps verse and chorus identical, chord-wise. He simplified everything. His new lyrics may have been transplanted from another source--that's always possible. Now I'm curious. I'm going to give a closer listen to the other "Shoutin'" versions and see if they go the original route or Stanley's. The Canaan-Aire's "City of Gold" has Fanny Crosby's original words, all mixed around, but not the original melody--but of course, it's not at all unusual for different tunes to go with the same (or close to the same!) hymn text. It's why they had tunebooks in the past, of course. I've tracked down around 30 different melodies that have been used for for John Newton's "Amazing Grace" hymn. I enjoy explaining to those who don't know the hymn equals the words, not words AND melody, except in those situations where both have become inseparable. (Hard to imagine "He Touched Me" to another tune!)

As you might know, "Amazing Grace" can be sung to the tune of "Joy to the World" and the theme from Gilligan's Island....

"Aire" just means "air," as in a tune--an air. Why the added e, I dunno. It might be the added-e routine--the bit of adding an e to a word or phrase to make it seem old or old-fashioned (for ex., "olde towne"). To suggest an older spelling. You have me curious as to how long the -"aires" tradition has been going on. It may be a more tradition than we'd imagine.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

And, not surprisingly, the Ed Samons version is the Stanley variation!

Ernie said...

Lee, I took a look at your track tags and they come up just fine for me. Title, artist, album, even year if you know it. I didn't dig too deep to see if they've also got V1 data in there, but I don't know of any software that still uses that. And cover photos would be pretty tough to do with the huge number of things you share out at a time. I do the same thing with my Christmas in July shares, it would just take too long to try and scan in so many cover pictures for each and every share. I do a better job at Christmas. :)

Lee Hartsfeld said...

groovylounge,

Maybe there's some MAGIX quirk at work here (rhyme unintended). But it's the program's ID3 editor I'm using. I've always been a little worried about it, so Ernie's comment has put my mind at ease. To the extent my mind can be put at ease. (-:

Ernie,

Thanks for confirming the tags are working, at least for you. I wonder what's happening in groovylounge's case? You made suggestions in your email to me. I know zilch about these things. Oh, I should add that the MAGIX ID function doesn't include image insertions.

Josh,

Thanks for noting the Stanley variation on "Shouting/Shoutin' on the Hills." That would otherwise have passed me by, since I'm dealing with so many of these tracks. The Stanleys are using the common bit of the same chord structure for verse and chorus, as in the Carter Family's "Will/Can the Circle Be Unbroken," which I regard as a take-off from the Charles H. Gabriel song, but which may have a folk origin, with Gabriel either borrowing the title or just accidentally paraphrasing it. With the 1,000s of gospel songs being churned out back then, all kinds of accidental overlaps happened! I'm just bring up "Circle" as an example--we haven't discussed it, I don't think.

A man for whom Christ died said...

Lee,
Maybe I should read all the other comments before making this observation, but I believe it'd be safe to say, that all the bluegrassical versions of Shouting/Shoutin', are the Stanley arrangement. Oh and what do you mean by an air? 'Til next, love and prayin' for ya!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Callcast: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

A man for whom Christ died said...

Lee,
Believe it or not, a family in our church sung the Carter version this past Wednesday night, so on our way home from church, I promptly played your recent Blue Ridge Quartet version for comparison. My favorite version of the song altogether, is The Spencers (or Spencer Family) of Shiloh, OH's, from probably the late '70s.? They did an accapella album, can't remember the title. We had the tape at the station years ago...

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Callcast: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

Lee Hartsfeld said...

An air is just and old term for a melody. Like "Londonderry Air (Danny Boy)."

A man for whom Christ died said...

Ah, gotcha, thanks! Oh and speaking of that particular air, He Looked Beyond My Faults And Saw My Need (or is that Needs) and whatever Christmas song that was that Jimmy Davis wrote after hearing that song LOL!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Callcast: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends