Friday, October 04, 2019

That last post was supposed to be in stereo....

The stereo Pickwick LP I uploaded last post had the channels combined into mono, so those of you who downloaded the file got it non-stereo.  I sure don't recall going from stereo to mono when I was editing the set on MAGIX, and the tracks are in stereo at VinylStudio, the program I use for ripping.  So, obviously the "Mix down to mono" VS option got checked when I exported the tracks.  I didn't check it--VS did.  That's one of the program's charming bugs--checking boxes for me.  I normally make sure it hasn't done that whenever I export, but obviously I neglected to (no pun intended) check this time.

In other words, Argggghhhh!!

I just brought the files into a new MAGIX project, and they are in stereo.  So all I have to do is re-edit everything.  Fun.  Thanks, VS.

And thanks, Jim, for alerting me.  Sorry.  I knew this would happen at some point....



Lee

2 comments:

Jim said...

I just grabbed the stereo updated version.

Kinda makes you wonder how many previous posts got the mono mixdown and nobody has noticed.

I generally assume that anything issued after 1965 is (or should be) stereo; but when a 1970's LP shows up in mono, that's a major weirdness.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

I don't think I've missed any mono mixdowns. Then again....

Nothing to obsess out. But I will, anyway! Yes, a 1970s LP in mono would be very very weird. I think mono carried on until about 1968, but of course it became harder and harder to get the mono editions.