Friday, April 10, 2020

Easter and some late Good Friday shellac!







Some late Good Friday and pre-Easter Easter selections, starting with Emma L. Ashford's famous choral work, Lift Up Your Heads, which ends with a dose of All Hail the Power the Power of Jesus' Name. Wish I had a copy of the words to post, but you can download a choral copy on line if you wish.  Technically, it's an Ascension number, but it's used on Easter, so here it is.  The all-time gospel Easter song (along with He Lives, aka I Serve a Risen Savior) is here in a version I haven't posted before--Christ Arose, this time by the Collegiate Choir on Brunswick, 1920.

The mainline-hymnal all-time classic, Christ the Lord Is Risen To-day, is sung (beautifully) by Louise Homer.

We get three helpings of the ultra-down home Southern quartet Smith's Sacred Singers, two Homer Rodeheavers, and two Trinity Choir selections.  Profoundly distinguished Fanny Crosby lyrics in the classic Tell Me the Story of Jesus, and a superb text for Are You Washed in the Blood of the Lamb.  I'm just now appreciating the ingeniousness of the latter's words.

I'd meant to get this up earlier, but what are plans in the scheme of things?  Enjoy!  More Easter sounds to come.




DOWNLOAD: Easter and late Good Friday





Lift up Your Heads (Emma L. Asford)--Columbia A1713 (1915)
Old Rugged Cross (George Bennard)--Arthur Cornwall and William Cleary, 1930
Christ the Lord Is Risen To-day (C. Wesley)--Louise Homer, Contralto, 1922
Christ Arose (Lowry)--Collegiate Choir, 1920
Jesus Died for Me--Smith's Sacred Singers,1929
He Bore It All (Baxter Jr.-Stamps)--Same, 1927
Love Led Him to Calvary (Webster-Gabriel)--Mrs. William Asher-Homer Rodeheaver, 1925
Are You Washed in the Blood of the Lamb (Elisha A. Hoffman)--Smith's Sacred Singers, 1929
Tell Me the Story of Jesus (Fanny J. Crosby--Jno. R. Sweney)--Homer Rodeheaver, 1920
Calvary (Darwood-Sweney)--Trinity Choir, 1913
Jesus Lives!  (Gellert-Cox-Gauntlett)--Same, 1922


Lee



13 comments:

A man for whom Christ died said...

Thanks Lee! I haven't even spot-checked a single cut yet, but I know they'll be good! It'll be interesting to see (or is that hear) how those Acoustical choir (did I just coin a new phraseLOL) numbers sound. Oh and speaking of that, how'd that record from 1022 turn out for ya? Bet it was hard to restore LOL! I know it was supposed to be 1922, just cuttin' up with ya. An old friend (as in known him since I was a little kid) and I were talking one day at the radio station where he's worked for years and he decided to look up the oldest song in their library. He found Ten Thousand Years, from 1875, but he knew that wasn't right, LOL! Keep up the great work, love and prayin' for ya!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Callcast: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

A man for whom Christ died said...

Do whaaaaaaat? Sorry old man, couldn't copy.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Thanks for the correction! That was my third typo. Not that anyone much seems to be looking at the post. Hope you enjoy!

A man for whom Christ died said...

Copied that time, came through loud and clear! Don't worry, it'll pick up. Got kind of a dry spell on my Sermon.net page too. jeremiah616.sermon.net

Zoomer Roberts said...

Lee,
Many thanks for soldiering on in these unusual times. Louise Homer has never sounded so good! Have you considered doing the acoustical sides Lee Morse cut for Pathe? No? Oh, well. A happy and blessed Easter to you, and hang in there!
Zoomer

Lee Hartsfeld said...

You, too--thanks. And I don't think I've heard of Lee Morse. Maybe. Oh, she looks cool (just Googled her). But I don't have any of her stuff.

Zoomer Roberts said...

Her electrically recorded Columbia sides are more accessible, and most of them are on youtube. Check her out and enjoy the music. I was kidding about remastering her Pathes...

Ernie said...

Happy Easter, Lee!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Happy Easter to you, too.

A man for whom Christ died said...

Blessed Resurrection Sunday Lee!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Same you you, Josh!

Aging Child said...

Happy (slightly belated, now) Easter, Lee! Thank you for this fine seasonal set, suitable for listening till at least Greek Orthodox Easter, and then some.

Lately, my own all-time favorite Easter (choral) work has been "O Haupt Voll Blut und Wunden" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY-aowxVXfI)... well, technically for Good Friday; ditto "Were You There When They Crucified My Lord?", which can always bring tears. Do you know of any very early recordings of "O Haupt" / ""O Sacred Head, Now Wounded" you'd particularly recommend lending an ear to?

And I can imagine you sitting down at the keyboard and giving up a strong and profound "All Glory, Laud, and Honor" any Easter Sunday morn... or has that one been played too often, despite these goosebumps?

Regardless; have a great, safe, healthy, and sacred new week. He is risen; He is risen indeed!

Ah-ah-ah, ah-al, le-e lu-u, ia!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Indeed. And I'd give a response of substance, but I'm really stressed as I type, since my week has gotten off to a not-good start. I'll spare you the details. I just hope things can pick up, because they're timing out as badly as possible right now.

So much for my problems. Um, I have "O Sacred Head" but failed to pull it out of my rows of gospel 78s when I was preparing this post. Dunno why I didn't grab it. Come post-deadline time, it was too late to go back and look for it, or I'd have added it. I'm almost sure it's the Haydn quartet. That incredibly distinguished group would have to be the one. I have an acoustical recording of "In the Garden," too, but once I placed the needle in the grooves, I knew it was wrecked. (The disc, that is.) Funny how some 78s look fine and sound awful, while some deceased-looking shellac yields decent audio. It's a mystery. Hope you had a great Easter, and all of your kind wishes back atcha! My week will get better. And it will be winter-cold and rainy. Wah!!