Tuesday, September 08, 2020

Astonishing rendition of Pacific 231, and two other Cook "Sounds of Our Times" goodies (1955).

 





It must have been 25 years ago when I found this ten-incher within rows and rows of thrift store Classical vinyl.  I bought it for Arthur Honegger's Pacific 231, which is just about my favorite "modern" Classical work of them all--though, on first listen, I felt then (as now) that there are better renditions out there.  Don't get me wrong--this is a very, very good performance, but just not as good as it could have been, and possibly because the group was playing to impress.  As the mostly illiterate liner notes note, "Honegger's PACIFIC 231 was recorded on the first 'take!' (Musicians will recognize this as a kind of musical miracle considering the muscular complexity of the score.')"  That's not hyperbole--it's just reporting the facts.  But I think the performance, as amazing as it is, loses something in its race to the finish.  That's kind of a pun, given the work's subject (a fast-moving train--though I've read that that inspiration came to Honegger after he'd written the score).  I just think that more attention to detail in some of the sections would have easily put this in the top five 231s.  Maybe even some quick microphone rearranging along the way.

Anyway, I quoted the closest-to-English part of the 231 album notes.  More typical of the back-cover essay is this attempt at assembling words: "Honegger's locomotive is prominent in all the textbooks...but conspicuously absent from recording rolls.  The awful stigma of being 'dated' does not, however, weaken the fierce crushing power of this score."  The really scary part is, I sort of know what the writer was trying to say.

But logic, please.  1) Pacific 231 was not, far as I know, ever difficult to find on disc.  There's that marvelous 1927 78 I posted in 2016, for instance, and there was Honegger's own early recording.  And 2), if Pacific is so "dated," what's it doing in the "Sounds of Our Times" series?  "Modern orchestral textures"--the jacket's words, not mine (though I agree).  So modern, it's dated.  I hate it when things are dated in their currentness.

However, bad liner notes can be pretty entertaining, and these fill that bill.  And, after all of my fake-hit posts this year, a set of good liner notes might put me into shock.  Anyway, I was certain I didn't know the other two works, which I think fare even better (because the musicians aren't trying to set a first-take record, no pun intended)--Debussy's delightful Danse, superbly orchestrated by Ravel, and Samuel Barber's indescribably gorgeous and moving Adagio for Strings. Turns out, the two works are old friends--I just didn't realize it.  Two standards that I've heard sometime along the line, and obviously more than once.  The best description of the Barber piece may be pure agony in music--a timelessly beautiful expression of pain and grief.  Great art has the power to turn anything into beauty, and we have all the proof we need here.

By the way, I can't believe Bernard Herrmann wasn't influenced by Adagio when writing the score for the Twilight Zone classic "Walking Distance."

A superbly balanced program, and though I do think there are better 231s out there, this one is certainly as exciting as they come--and it may set a 231 virtuosity record (no pun intended, Part 3).  I really can't complain about it, but I am anyway, because I think it's a squandered opportunity--few groups could have done it better, but this one could.  But, yeah, the "first take!" part does impress the heck out of me.  I'd be lying if I said it didn't.

The period fidelity is astounding.  And I haven't even mentioned the orchestra's name--it's  the New Orchestral Society of Boston (not lower-case "new," as printed in the liner notes), and it's conducted by Willis Page.  The notes, again: "Knowing Willis Page is to understand the key to the nature of the orchestra."  As TV comic Roger Price said, "In fact, to understand bop, one had to be... drunk.  That helped."  Same for these liner notes.

Oh, and things get loud during 231.  I mean, really loud.  I found that out while editing the MAGIX project at a loud volume at the wrong point.  My ears have almost recovered, I'm happy to say.  I sort of need them to do this blog.


DOWNLOAD: Pacific 231, Danse, Adagio fro Strings (Cook 1068; 1955)


Pacific 231 (Arthur Honegger)

Dance (Debussy, orchestrated by Ravel)

Adagio for Strings (Samuel Barber)


New Orchestral Society of Boston, conducted by Willis Page (Cook 1068; 1955)



Lee

13 comments:

Ernie said...

Looks cool, but I don't know anything about this piece.

I swear that every LP I find on the Cook label is covered in small bumps. I think it's some sort of byproduct of their microfusion process, whereby they didn't melt their vinyl into a homogeneous solid, but instead pressed a finely ground powder into a semi-solid lump. Doesn't seem to have worked out for them. Maybe it's a problem with the Florida heat since I see others are able to play them just fine...

Buster said...

This is an unusual one, Lee - never seen it before. Cook seemed to specialize in train sounds (perhaps the Pacific 231 connection) and Lizzie Miles records.

Larry said...

A delightfully peppy 231, thanks.

(Since I'm trying to avoid wallowing in despair I'm passing on listening to the Barber. In the past I've likened it to a beloved family pet dying.)

Enjoy reading your commentary, as always.

Keep well.

David Federman said...

There's a 1954 recording by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Herman Scherchen that was released on Westminster that make me think Stravinsky was a hobo on Honegger's train.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Ernie--

I didn't notice bumps on this one, but there was some rumble that went away when I summed the channels, so it definitely wasn't resting perfectly flat. Like the acoustical era Columbias, which warp as they age.

Buster--

Interesting to hear that this is an unusual issue--I was thinking it must have been a common one, but then I've seen very few Cooks and have only owned this one, so I don't know why I made that assumption!

Larry--

Thanks. And it's definitely peppy--that's the attraction of this performance, to me. I'm in wonderment that they're pulling it off at such a tempo, and, as the notes note, on the "first 'take'!" "Take," of course, is a term that means take.

David--

I might have that one. Or I had it. Only way to find out, I suppose, is to check my LP rows. The Westminster/Honegger combination sounds familiar.

Jarbie said...

Ok the notes leave something to be desired, but perhaps the sleeve designer was inattentive also.
Pacific 231 (French for the wheel arrangement 4-6-2 - they count axles, others the wheels on both sides) has been represented graphically by a wheel arrangement of 8-10-0 (or the French would say 450) a form of wheel arrangement that never existed on any loco ever. A really weird looker with that rear overhang and eight wheel front bogie stuck out at the front.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Jarbie--

Thanks! I'd never have noticed. I know zilch about trains. Thanks for the info! So, Cook managed to mess up the front AND back covers...

Sky Raven said...

Nice recording Lee... thanks for posting this. The Honegger was impressive, even if it was a little fast (it's the fastest of my 7 versions of 231). I too like the 1927 version that you posted a few years ago. The Debussy was very nice, too, and fit in nicely. The Barber Adagio was good for an orchestral version, but I prefer Barber's original string quartet version - - when you hear the entire String Quartet, the Adagio works well with the other movements (and is not so depressing). Much appreciated. Burt

Eric said...

https://mega.nz/file/awg3BKpZ#rdeDn37OcX2WLigPxvJ6UpKR3QJ5LvVAhR60uz42cAE

Here are three recordings of Pacific 231.
1- Bernstein
2 - Scherchen
3 - Ansermet (the dedicee of the piece)

Barber attended so many performances of the Adagio that he used to bet with himself who would make a wrong entrance. It is written in 4/2 time and is filled with breves (double whole notes) making it a test of patience.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Sky Raven,

Glad you enjoyed. And, yes, it's fast--as in, too. But they were aiming to impress, and they did. I'll have to hear the Adadigo in its original setting. As far as rapid tempos, I recall the 1927 sped by, too--maybe owing to the 12" 78 rpm format. Still, it's only about 5:00 of music. I'll have to re-listen to that.

Eric,

Thanks--I'll give those a listen. I didn't know those were called breves, but I just ran into some--in a gospel songbook, of all things. They get around. I have two more versions of 231 to put up--they appear to be out of circulation, hence safe. My favorite will be included.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Eric--

Make that one, maybe. I have Answermet's mono London recording (London LL 1156). I'll have to compare it to your file.

IgnacioEsteban said...

A new Image for you Lee.
https://www91.zippyshare.com/v/UXha4CNp/file.html

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Ignacio,

I love them! Thanks!!