Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Fake gold from Waldorf (1956)

 


As I work on a large post that's taking longer than I figured, it's time to put up this delayed post.  Only six tracks, but they're classic Waldorf.  They are fake gold.  And "fake gold" may not sound very complimentary (especially during a gold rush), but I think it's accurate and flattering--Waldorf's fakes are gold, as a rule.  At least, when Enoch Light was calling the shots.  On that note, I just ordered some post-Enoch Waldorf EPs from eBay, and they're very possibly fakes that were also issued on the Song Hits and Hit Parader labels (sold in the magazines of that name, and in Charlton Comics).  They're from the Twilight Zone period, Waldorf-wise, when weird things were being issued, such as all of those recyclings of earlier recordings on LPs sporting blank back covers.  Waldorf's weird period.  When Waldorf went weird.

This ten-incher, however, is classic Waldorf.  It's from 1956, and all the expected folks are present: Artie Malvin, Loren Becker, the Waldorf Ink Spots, Vincent Lopez, Enoch, and... Van Alexander and His Orchestra?  Hm.  I haven't noticed Van Alexander on any other Waldorf vinyl, but maybe I'm just not paying attention.  That happens sometimes.  (Did I just type something?  Where am I?)

You've got to love that beautifully period, campy cover.  The kids, though a little stiffly posed, look like they're having a great time, and it's a good composition, the lettering skillfully arranged around the visuals.  I have to wonder about the orange background--felt?  Construction paper?  Orange chalk on newsprint?  The orange wall seems to meet the orange floor in an arc shape, as if the background was curved.  Probably not worth wondering about.  The cover is simply what it is--a colorful budget jacket.  In the scheme of things, the particulars don't matter.

I know--modeling clay soaked in orange juice!  Anyway, the question is, why only six tracks?  Waldorf was perfectly capable of putting eight tracks on its ten-inch LPs, so why only six?  Maybe it's because the six-selection track listing fits so perfectly above the heads of the dancers.  That must be it.

Our last two budget rock and roll posts featured "rock 'n roll," but this time the apostrophe has moved to the right: "rock n' roll."  I won't bother to mention that the proper contraction of and is 'n', because...  Oops, I just did.  Oh, well.  So, six classic Waldorf tracks, and in a higher bitrate.  I had been using MAGIX's default mp3 bitrate when I exported my files, and it was too low.  (This way, I get to blame MAGIX instead of myself for not fully studying the export page.)  I've had some requests for lossless files, but I don't plan to go that route.  Not at this time, as the saying goes.  I am, however, going the larger-bitrate route.  Everyone has to, at some point in his or her cyber-life.  Just as, once upon a time, Waldorf went the Full Dynamic Range route.  (Maybe those are orange drapes behind the couple.  And a cloth floor...)


DOWNLOAD: Rock N' Roll (Waldorf Music Hall MH-33-170; 1956)





Lee

12 comments:

Ernie said...

Thanks, Lee!

I'm wondering if the slightly lower track count was due to the rock-n-roll buyers of the day usually sticking to singles and staying away from albums. This is clearly not a single, but the tracks are probably all familiar from singles, and there are a limited number of them, so no filler like the big 12" albums. Just a thought. And licensing rates may have been higher because they're all popular, no closely-titled ripoffs? Just thinking out loud, and it's still very early in the morning...

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Well, Waldorf put out some "8 Top Hits" LPs 10-inch, but you may be right about the licensing fees, since these were all highly popular hits--and possibly pricier. Being choice hits, maybe the rights to the six cost as much as eight "regular" hits. That, or maybe the orange dye used for the cover ate into the budget...

Of course, the cheapo labels prided themselves on never being consistent.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

I meant, 10-inch LPs, not LPs 10-inch. Good grief. I'm transposing words now. From letters to words...

I'm sure that's proper syntax in some other language.

Ernie said...

Been watching the Baby Yoda show on Disney+? I'm sure if he was old enough to talk, call them LPs 10-Inch he would.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Ha!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lee, I just came home from night school here in Germany. I still am the only student wearing a mask. Because of COVID, we have a max of 8 students in a class. We are lucky to have 6 students. Love this new "quirky" post and your excellent selection. Made my night before going to bed. I am watching at the same time the Gilligan's Island episode with the Mosquitoes, so a double dose of music. Looking forward to your extra long post. Whatever it is, it has to be a winner. Because you always put lots of love in your posts. Oh, my husband, Andi, just hit me. Do not forget me he says. He is a fan too. Well have a good one as they say. Bryan and Andi.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

My thanks to both of you! I vaguely remember that Gilligan's Island episode. I was a kid during the first run, and I loved the show. Oddly enough, it's not running anywhere on the channels available to me by satellite dish. Oh, well. Sorry to hear about the mask rejecters. The U.S. is also packed with folks who can't comprehend (or don't care about) safety, as dirt-simple as the measures are. I just came back from a local grocery, and the guy behind me in line totally ignored the social-distancing requirements clearly stated in signs and indicated with floor markings. He was a typical Mr. Entitlement type--in a hurry, with only a few things and too lazy to stand in the line meant for people with 20 or fewer items. He was in a hurry, and I had the nerve to be ahead of him!! I should be horse-whipped. Of course, the cashier should have asked him to step back, per store policy. And to ask him to leave if he refused to comply. But this is Ohio. Anyway, I think you'll like the big post to come--it's a variety-pack post, a type which I haven't done for a while. I got stuck on a couple problem tracks on a badly worn disc. But my larger stylus and some filtering did wonders. Best to you both.

Sky Raven said...

Lee, thanks for another Waldorf gem... I like the Enoch Light era a lot... especially the Loren Becker numbers (quirky as they are sometimes). The "Love Me Tender" was a new one for me. Interestingly, the "Hound Dog" and "Don't Be Cruel" songs were each about 20 seconds longer than on previous Waldorf posts with the same artists...
BTW, that is actually a pretty strange cover - - almost like an early Photo Shop job. I look forward to your large post. Keep the mask on and stay safe. Burt

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Burt, thanks!

Yeah, I had the same reaction to the cover shot--I was going to comment that it could be easily done in the PC age. It has a cut-and-paste look, though it doesn't seem to be. Weird. Maybe Waldorf was anticipating the age of PCs.

Thanks for pointing that out about Hound Dog and Don't Be Cruel. I've discovered that, on all of the cheapo labels, there was considerable tape-chopping. And the weird thing is, despite the low budgets involved, the editing was usually very skillfully done. Promenade (SPC) always cut down its hits to fit on its EPs (which is why the LP versions are desirable), yet the cuts are almost never obvious. Weird that the budget folks would take so much care in the editing department. You keep your mask on, too! If only the anti-maskers would realize the potential harm they're doing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks again Lee, yet another treat.

Regards Johnny

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Johnny,

My pleasure!

rosbeliobones9223@gmail,com said...

obrigado IRMÃO !!!