Friday, September 18, 2020

Wait a minute--that's not Enoch Light...

 


It's Ginger, aka the lovely Tina Louise, smoking a cigarette and not looking very happy.  Maybe it's the make-up.  Maybe it's her having to pose for a budget label LP of recycled tracks.  No way to be sure.  This is one of those "What are they selling here?" albums, and it's titled  Moments to Remember, Volume 3, though "Volume 3" is nearly hidden in tiny font just above the title, so you might have missed it, as I did.

Volume 1 of this series has a Jayne Mansfield cover, but I haven't seen Vol. 2, so I don't know what it has in the way of artwork.  Anyway, the (for once) decent liner notes tell us that Paul Whiteman accompanies Bob Eberly on Do I Love You?--something I wouldn't have known save for skimming the notes, since the credit doesn't appear on the label.  The rest of the liner essay is a continuous take on the "Moments to Remember" theme, and in fact that very song shows up as track 1, Side 1, by the Brigadiers with Vincent Lopez--a very nice version, too.  Three instrumentals, I believe, and all by Enoch Light and His Orch., with the remaining tracks featuring vocals by (of course) Artie Malvin, (of course) Loren Becker, Peggy White, The Ink Spots (which incarnation, I don't know), Eberly, The Zig Zags, and (of course) The Brigadiers.  High quality performances with Grade-A audio, though I had to filter some spots (probably "invisible" needle wear, from an invisible needle).  All and any playing damage was easily fixed.  This is not a long-playing LP, by the way--it's a "King Size Record."  So the back cover insists.  A possible clue that budget customers were somewhat confused about record sizes and what they meant.  I vividly recall, as a kid shopping at Salvation Army, the clerks talking about "little" records vs. "big" records, as if speed wasn't a factor.  Once, when buying four 12-inch 78s of Chopin Preludes, I tried unsuccessfully to explain that the 78s shouldn't go for the same price as the 12-inch LPs.  It was a lost cause--the clerk simply repeated, "The big records are 25 cents."  Or was it 50 cents?  No, probably 25.

Anyway, as collection titles go, "Moments to Remember" definitely sounds better than "Tracks to Recycle," though it is kind of an odd effect to have a pic of Tina under that title.  I mean, I have no direct memories of Tina.  1) I've never met her, 2) and not in such a state of dress, and 3) When this came out, I was either 0 or 1 years of age.  And I was always a Mary Ann guy, anyway.  (Gilligan's Island reference, for my younger readers.)  A Dawn Wells jacket, on the other hand, would entice me into buying any LP, regardless of what it contained.  The Sound of Car Alarms, Vol. 3.  Wouldn't matter.

Hopefully, no typos in the ID tags.  I was hoping for a higher number of instrumental tracks, but I'm just lucky to get a famous "cheesecake" LP at thrift prices.  This was a pre-$1.99 purchase at the Goodwill I mentioned, so I got it for a buck.  The instrumental tracks, by the way, are classic stuff, so I'll be on the lookout for more vocal-less Enoch Light numbers.  Hope you enjoy today's offering.



DOWNLOAD: Moments to Remember, Volume 3 (Waldrof Music Hall MHK 33-1239)





Lee

16 comments:

Buster said...

Thanks for the transfer of this - I have the LP (bought it for the cover), but have not listened to it.

I've run into that "big record vs. little record" pricing mentality myself. It is better, though, than putting price stickers on the 78 (or 45) labels.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

That's true. I can recall when thrifts never used stickers for sound recordings. Now, there's about a 50/50 chance of sticker use, even if all discs are a single price. Or, worse, grease-penciled prices on the jackets--though grease pencil is easily and safely removed with Goo Gone, I've found.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

And I get a lot of enjoyment from posting "Who would want to listen to the music?"-type LPs. Of course, a lot of good sounds are hidden behind jackets like these. Or not, in many instances...

Diane said...

Odd that the Waldorf "crown" says FDR on it. I mean, I know it's supposed to stand for Full Dynamic Range (right below it on the label). But maybe it's also some kind of subliminal call to those who feel their lives/country improved under that President? Doesn't seem like a coincidence.

Sky Raven said...

Thanks for this one Lee... love the cover. Volume 2 also features Tina Louise on the cover in a nightgown (?maybe?). It is called "Melody of Love" with "Moments to Remember Volume 2" in much smaller letters below that. Lots of nice Enoch Light without singing on that one, so if you find it for a buck might be a worthwhile buy. Burt

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Diane,

That never occurred to me! That might have been an attempt to use FDR as an endorsement, in a subliminal-influence way. Of course, subliminal suggestion is nonsense--there's s. perception, but it of course has no magical power to influence, despite the poplore claims. But Waldorf probably figured it was worth a shot. I can't believe I never made the "FDR" association. Thanks for pointing that out.

Burt,

I do hope to encounter it at some point, since the Light/Lopez instrumentals are the real treat, even as solid as the vocalists were. I hope the thrifting god is listening...

UncleB said...

Sooooo much to ... well, erm, to "work with" here....

"KING SIZE"?

"FDR" approved?

Can I get a "That's what she said"?

Here's a couple more , uh "notable" releases of this ilk...

Vincent Lopez and his Ork and Enoch Light and his Ork - Moments To Remember (with some gal named Jayne on the cover):

https://www.discogs.com/release/3822246-Moments-To-Remember/images

Tina Louise - It's Time For Tina (on "URANIA" no less):

https://www.discogs.com/release/4372481-Its-Time-For-Tina/images

"Thanks for the mammaries"?

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Wow! I never saw that Urania LP before. Way better photo. I assume she's not singing on any of the tracks. Only $400 from Discogs. Granted, it's a great cover, but...

Thanks for that Moments to Remember link, which I couldn't find for some reason. Either Discogs' search engine is quirky or I am. I had falsely remembered that as a painting of Jayne. Maybe because it's so airbrushed...

Buster said...

Hey, I have that Jayne cover. But not the Tina Louise, and I do believe she sings on it. It's a coveted record.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

And it's had a couple CD reissues, looks like.

Ernie said...

Yes, Time For Tina is actually her singing. I've never found a copy, but I understand it's not very good. But also not bad enough to be good, if you know what I mean. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lee, thanks for another great post and another addition of Enoch Light. Bryan

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Bryan,

My pleasure!

UncleB said...

I think I have some iteration of that "Time For Tina" ElPee. Some place. I thought I had a "SCAMP" label CD ... But maybe I am thinking of other "Golden Throats" (To steal Rhino's term for this... usually utter garbage...) award winners... IF I recollect correct, those Scamps included a Robert Mitchum (singing calypso, if you can stomach that) and a Maya Angelou (more "exotica" "from the Caribbean"...)

Aha. HERE is the CD I have:

https://www.discogs.com/Tina-Louise-Its-Time-For-Tina/release/6694810

Ridiculous to use the image they did rather than the ORIGINAL '57 model...

Just for KNOWING all this, I might need what AUTO-KERREKT told me I should use instead of my TYPO on the word "MITCHUM"... They wanted me to use:

"Lithium"

SOME sort of drug for the pain is in order, IF I dig out & PLAY alla these...

Just try to avoid, if at all possible "Little Joe (Pesci) Sure Can Sing." News Flash: He cannot.

Hmmm... I wonder if Mary Ann ever cut any records...?

Links a go-go (Sorry, no "Lovey" Howell...):

https://www.discogs.com/Robert-Mitchum-Calypso-Is-Like-So/master/65206

https://www.discogs.com/label/28067-Scamp

https://www.discogs.com/Maya-Angelou-Miss-Calypso/master/297316

https://www.discogs.com/Little-Joe-Little-Joe-Sure-Can-Sing/master/1341901

(And you thought I was joking..?!)

Ravel said...

Hi ! I DL this album to hear that Eberly song. I always liked him very much (or them: Eberly/e) and it's a treat to hear this one.
Great transfer !
The Peggy White is fine too !
And thanks from Montreal, Quebec.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Ravel,

Great to hear from you! Thanks for the nice words. More Waldorf to come, of course.