Sunday, March 28, 2021

Rhythm Masters Quartet--More About Jesus (Scripture Records 106)

 


DOWNLOAD: More About Jesus--Rhythm Masters Quartet


Recorded in Newark NJ, but the group hails from Birmingham, Alabama.  That would explain the accents!  Expertly presented Southern Gospel, with a good number of standards--Leaning on the Everlasting Arms (or "Arm," according to the record label and jacket), At the Cross, Unclouded Day, Love Lifted Me, and other numbers which, even though they age, never grow old.  And I just have to mention what used to be a standard parody of At the Cross--namely, At the Bar.  "At the bar, At the bar, Where I had my first cigar."  Can't remember the rest.

So, these guys are at the top of their game, and the group portrait is professionally done, and... I wish I had the year for this, but Discogs isn't telling.  For some reason, the front jacket came out all wonky when I did my four-part scan, so I had to fix the white border.  The front cover art is ever so slightly off-center, but my scan had everything off by about 20 degrees.  Sometimes, the stitching function gets confused or something.  My photo software is quite old, and it hasn't been supported for quite some time, but its a great program, so I still use it.  At one point, I bought a new photo-shopping program, and it wasn't half as versatile as what I have, which was bundled in with my (now antique) Epson scanner.

Feeling like I have a fever--I'm still reacting to my second Covid shot, which happened on Friday.  I thought I was on easy street, since my initial reaction was quite mild.  Then, driving home, I felt a little woozy.  That evening, I needed aspirin and Benadryl to help me sleep.  Woke up today with the shot site hurting like (does anyone use this term anymore?) the dickens.  But nothing "concerning" so far, and I'll probably be up to playing the ol' solid state Thomas organ at church tomorrow.  I hope so.

Meanwhile, some very fine quartet singing--and I almost forgot to mention that it's a thrift gift from Diane.  Thanks, Diane!

Now to discover whether I actually have a fever or whether I simply feel like I have one.  I suspect the latter.





Lee

5 comments:

Ernie said...

That cover looks awful familiar. I think there's a major label (RCA probably) gospel LP with a very similar layout. I'll have to see if I can find it on Discogs. It's not still all-Nazis, is it?

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Not the last time I checked! (-: A FB friend thought to look at Discog's FB page (that didn't occur to me), and there were comments about the hacking. Discogs seems to have recovered pretty quickly from whoever was messing with it. That was genuinely weird.

kaktus hay hay said...

Do you have by them LP ''God's Great Love'' or ''He'll Stand By You''. Thank you for the answer!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

kaktus hay hay,

No, I don't think I have those. Sorry!

kaktus hay hay said...

thank you for the answer!! do you have Seals Hilton bass of the Rhythm Masters Quartet with Ray Wyatt Quartet?