Sunday, May 22, 2022

Sunday morning gospel: The Branham Family--No One Knows What Jesus Suffered (c. 1962?)

 


I had this LP ready to go last Sunday, but I decided to do a last-minute replacement (The Oak Ridge Boys) because of some defects in this pressing--defects which create occasional distortion.  But because Josh wants to hear this, and because the material is so superior... here it is.  An online discography called Gloryland Jubilee places the year at "1962 or later," based on the presumption that this is a King pressing.  That may very well be the case, as the matrix number seems to follow the King custom-pressing scheme, and the three-digit account number (979-LP-19000) would, in fact, make it 1962.  So, if it's King, it's 1962.

This is fine country gospel, with a strong rockabilly/hillbilly boogie feel to some of the tracks.  We have some real pros backing the delightful vocals, and there's a fine balance between medium-tempo and upbeat numbers.  A good helping of standards--I'll Fly Away, Take My Hand Precious Lord, Glory to His Name, I'm a Pilgrim--and some others which sound awfully familiar.  A superior program of country gospel--and I will eagerly grab any other Branham Family LPs which show up in the thrifts.  This one has put me on the alert.  Enjoy!

Oh, and the back cover is blank, so a scan would have been redundant.


DOWNLOAD: The Branham Family, 1962?


Do You Know My Jesus

King of Kings

Take My Hand Precious Lord

No One Knows What Jesus Suffered

How Can You Refuse Him Now

I'll Fly Away

I'm Moving up Home Some Day

You'd Better Live So

I'm Free From Sin's Heavy Load

I Am a Pilgrim

From the Manger to the Cross

Somebody Loves Me

Glory to His Name



The Branham Family (No label name, martix # 979-LP-1000; 1962, if King custom pressing)


Lee

3 comments:

Jim said...

Absolutely LOVE the cover art! It's the best I've yet seen on one of these custom recordings.

Just to further muddy the waters regarding the release date, I was intrigued by the inclusion of a track bearing the title King of Kings - which also happened to be the wildly popular blockbuster Biblical epic of the 1961-62 cinema season.

While the song on this LP is unrelated to that film, the inclusion of that >title< (to my mind, at least) adds one more bit of weight to the 1962 release date.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Jim--

That's interesting--thanks! And that is an artistic cover, for sure. Well above the stock-illustration norm.

A man for whom Christ died said...

Thanks Lee, for posting, despite the distortion, which IMHO, adds to the album, if you know what I mean. Given the music/sound, I'd say 1962ish, too. Speaking of the sound (and maybe this is a visual question, but you know I ain't too good at those kinda things), is this indeed, The Ray Branham Family of Cleveland, TN, as I thought at first? Given that I've only heard their later stuff (from 1980 on), I'd say it's possible, given the sound, but not 100% sure. I'm sure someone with better eyes than mine, will know for sure, right off the bat! At first glance (pardon the pun), my favorite cuts, are 4 and 7, the latter, I've only heard one other place, The True Gospel Trio from around the Kingsport, TN area, on an album they ironically (or not) recorded for True Gospel Records of Johnson City, TN, a division of Spot Records, from possibly around the same time. Maybe True Gospel was of their own making? I know other groups, such as The Hardin Brothers Quartet of Elizabethton, TN, recorded for TG, but I digress. I definitely detect an Eva Mae LeFevre influence for the lady (whom I assume is his wife's) singing, especially on cut 4 and what about that Electric Guitar player all the way through! I'm sure I'll have more to say later, but I've rambled on enough and besides, my head's killin' me, so, 'til later, thanks again, love and praying for y'all!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Phone Ministry: (563) 999-3967