Saturday, July 16, 2022

Back at the blog: Paul Whiteman and "Television Moon"!

 



I just revived all six of my Paul Whiteman posts from 2018 and 2019.  They've been residing too long in the Zippyshare "File has expired" zone, and I lucked out and found the original zips on CD-R (they were missing from my hard drive).  So, one by one, I resurrected Pts. 1-6, all featuring fabulous Whiteman 78s from 1920-1930s, and all restored by me from my collection.  Here are the post links (the posts, in turn, contain the zipfile links, of course):


Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Part Four

Part Five

Part Six

Meanwhile, a Part Seven and Part Eight had been planned, but for some reason I stopped after the sixth installment.  Not sure why.  The tracks have been sitting in the PW folder for three years (!), and I'll need to get those on the blog, once I've traded off a sufficient number to even out the two playlists.  The excellent Paul Whiteman subgroup The Virginians are liberally featured in Pts. 7 and 8.

I also revived my 2017 Television Moon post ("Music to Perk up Your Day"), and Television Moon is something which has to be experienced--it cannot be explained.

Television Moon, and more

Enjoy!



Lee

11 comments:

Buster said...

I remember well the Whiteman posts. Glad you are planning more!

rev.b said...

Sweet! Very much appreciated Lee.

Ernie said...

Thanks, Lee. Looking forward to the additional posts!

musicman1979 said...

Hopefully you will eventually get around to posting Mr. Whiteman's anniversary and Hawaiian LP's on Grand Award--the Hawaiian LP in particular is one of the better ones of the genre despite the rather unique cover painting.

rev.b said...

The Virginians did sound a lot like Whiteman in the early 20s, but then again, a lot of bands of that period did, so was PW's influence. I didn't know there was an additional relation beyond sound and both being on the Victor label. Hope you'll give us students some more information when you get a round toit. No rush obviously. It’s nice to have that to look forward too. Hope things are okay on your end.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

The Virginians consisted of Whiteman regulars, including Ross Gorman. I believe Ferde Grofe handled the arrangements. Their sides tend more toward Dixieland than the larger orchestra, which liked to insert Dixieland into its charts (especially for the final chorus) but which had a much tighter texture.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Oh, and thanks--except for my poor sinuses, all is fine!

David Federman said...

This a masterfully comprehensive series. With arrangers like Grofe and Challis, Whiteman really was, for me, the Stan Kenton of his time. His was a true precursor of Kenton's "innovations" orchestra. Thank goodness, you love this man so much. If you ever get back to Whiteman, why don't you devote a post to his work with Ramona Davies and Her Grand Piano. Whiteman in the 30's never flagged in brilliance and versatility. In any case, my deepest gratitude.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Hi, David.

Ramona shows up several times. Plus, there's a solo Victor side by her ("Paul Whiteman Presents...") that I need to rip.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for bringing these back Lee:I learned a lot from this series, and the sound of your transfers are excellent!
- Steve in PA

Mr Molio said...

Thanks so much for all your work!