Thursday, October 13, 2022

Hawaiian Favorites--Akoni Lani and His Islanders, Danny K. Stewart and His Aloha Boys (Acorn 672)

 



I couldn't resist this cover, for some reason.  I wasn't expecting much in the music department, though--but how wrong I was.  These tracks--by Akoni Lani and His Islanders and Danny K. Stewart and His Aloha Boys (we'll accept these as real names)--are outstanding, with excellent, swinging steel guitar work (with Fort St. Rag the standout) and more than adequate group vocals.  Everything bounces along just beautifully in a polite 4/4.  And we get (There's a) Yellow Rose in Hilo, which of course is better known as The Eyes of Texas.  Er, I mean, The Yellow Rose of Texas.  With different words, of course.

Fun trivia: Yellow Rose was originally a 19th century minstrel number about a "yellow girl"--i.e., a light-skinned black woman.  At one time, evidently, light-skinned black women enjoyed greater social status within the community--thus, we have Howlin' Wolf, in his 1951 or 1952 Brown Skin Woman, actually singing "I don't want no black woman, to lay her hands on me."  I was genuinely stumped by those lyrics the first time my ears beheld them.  And there's Leadbelly's Yellow Gal.  But I digress...

The back jacket promises "Stereo Phonic" sound, while the label guarantees "Stereo Fonic" sound; I guess they're the same thing.  "Made from the finest stereo tapes," no less.  Actually, this was issued in some of the worst fake, rechanneled stereo I've ever encountered, but fortune smiled on this post, and I was able to isolate the one good channel and EQ it back to something close to normal.  Save for a couple of distorted spots (during vocal crescendos), the sound is pretty solid.  Okay, save for the occasional tape dropouts.  I guess Acorn didn't use the finest stereo tapes, after all.  Or maybe the tapes were initially fine, prior to a few hundred plays.  We'll never know.

I kept the owner's writing on the back jacket because I wanted to document the year of purchase--1963.  (For 77 cents, no less.)  You see, Acorn was a subsidiary of Eli Oberstein's Rondo label, which was sold to P.R.I. Records in 1961, with some Tops label material showing up on Acorn.  As in this case--this LP is much better known in its Tops version, originally released in 1957 with the same cover photo.  However, I don't know if that's the year the tracks were waxed, and I very much doubt it in the case of the Akoni Lani numbers, which appeared on an earlier ten-inch Tops offering (a Tops Masterpieces offering, to be precise!):


Anyway, great stuff, and if it sounds like western swing, I guess that's because western swing so often sounded like Hawaiian music.  Now that we've solved that mystery...


DOWNLOAD: Hawaiian Favorites--Akoni Lani and His Islanders, Danny K. Stewart and His Aloha Boys


Akoni Lani and His Islanders

Hawaiian War Chant

Song of the Islands

Maka Pueo

Lovely Hula Hands

My Little Grass Shack

Huki Lau

Danny K. Stewart and His Aloha Boys

Silhouette Hula

The Pupuli Hula E

Knock-Kneed Hapua

Fort St. Rag

One More Aloha

(There's A) Yellow Rose in Hilo



Lee


17 comments:

rev.b said...

Re: the 1st cover, it couldn't have been that voluptuous model could it? ;-). Caught my eye too. Frankly, this record was one of those rare instances where I bought an album for the cover, granted it was only for a quater at a local thrift shop. In any case, you're quite right, the music was much better than I expected. Thank you for the digital copy. Trust your copy is in better shape than the one I found.

Ernie said...

Thanks, Lee. Certainly not too shabby for a budget label release.

lafong said...

Good upload, Lee.

Yeah, those Hawaiian steel breaks could drop right into a mainland Western swing recording from the 1940s.


Akoni Lani is actually David Keli'i, the fabulous steel player on the famed "Hawaii Calls" broadcasts in the 1940s until about 1951. In the 1960s, he had a long term engagement at the Las Vegas Hilton, leading his own group.

The vocalist on Danny Stewart's "Knock Kneed Napua" and "The Pupuli Hula E" is Prince Kawohi....who also recorded under that name and with Harry Owens, as far back as the 1940s. Stewart had a long career as a steel player, leading his own band and as a sideman.

Keep the Hawaiian stuff coming if possible.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

lafong,

Thanks for that information! I had tried to find cyber-info on both "Akoni Lani" and Danny Stewart, but of course it was the usual circular path to nowhere, with everything leading back to this LP. I wish there was some way to fashion a Google search so that only useful biographical information comes up. So, Keli'l is the remarkable steel guitar man--cool! Thanks again, and I hope to encounter more Hawaiian gems in my thrift and flea market hunting.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Rev. B and Ernie,

Glad you enjoyed, and thanks for the nice words!

Larry said...

I'm not a fan of steel guitar, but when in Hawaii... These recordings do have a certain charm.

Don't get me started on Google search...

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Larry,

My favorite (not) aspect of Google search is how often, when I plug in a common word or phrase, up pops a promo for a movie or TV series. Google must rake in a lot of $$ shilling for the entertainment industry.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Gimpiero,

I accidentally deleted your latest comment--I meant to post it, but I hit the wrong option. You asked about "Sheila Southern Sings Bacharach," and yes, I do have the Ambassador (SPC) label version, "The Burt Bacharach Songbook Sung by Sheila Southern." That's an excellent idea for a post--I think I'll get that one ready to put up. Thanks--and sorry I deleted your comment!

Diane said...

Thanks, LaFong (I'll assume your first name is Carl), for the performer info! I think I have several different versions of this album, and/or parts of it, under several different names. When the circa-1959 Hawaiian-statehood music craze hit, the rack-jobber labels went crazy issuing everything every which way. I don't have the names at hand, but I have at least one "budget" record in 3 versions credited to 3 different "stars"!

I love Hawaiian sounds, too, so let's hope Lee sends more aloha our way.

(And thanks, Lee, for digitizing this one -- my vinyl isn't in such great shape.)

gimpiero said...

No problem for my post.
I'm waiting soon with very pleasure this rare Bacharach book by Sheila Southern and The Mike Summes Singers.
Thanks!

Gilmarvinyl said...

I love this album! I actually posted all the tracks from the copy I had access to on YouTube some time ago.

lafong said...

Diane:

You are quite observant....Capital C, small a, small r, small l.....

Yep, lots of naming confusion and outright fabricated names on Hawaiian stuff. I suppose a lot of it because it would be too much to ask non-Hawaiians to pronounce or spell Keliikuihonua.

David Kaonohi, Johnny Pineapple, Johnny Kaonohi Pineapple, and Johnny Poi....4 names for the same guy as far as I know, 1940s on into the 1960s.

musicman1979 said...

Looking forward to the upload of the Bacharach album. When I saw you post your discovery of this record on the Brand "X" Records Facebook page, I had little hopes that it could even be post-worthy material. Boy, was I wrong! Will eventually get around to listening to this record eventually. Acorn Records usually rank right up there with Palace as one of my least favorite budget labels. My most recent one from the label is a Sousa Marches album which lists a Harry Smith-probably not the Harry Smith of CBS and A&E fame--as it's musical director.

I do have a copy of that Sy Oliver LP Wade posted on the Brand "X" Records Facebook page in genuine Stereo. It is a mostly solid Big Band effort with guitar solos by George Barnes (who really struts his stuff on "I've Been Working on the Railroad"). There is a great homage to Mr. Oliver's former employer Tommy Dorsey on "I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen", plus "I Like You" is a solid Big Band swinger. Some of the cuts have a Duke Ellington feel to them. Also, "Mixed Doubles" and "Easy Walker" are reversed in the playing order. I am on my second copy of the album--I found my first one at a local Salvation Army Store in 1991 before I really got into Big Band Music.

It will be really interesting to find out if your new Fontanna Dorsey album features several of the same cuts from your Maury Laws Dorsey tribute album.

Keep the great posts coming! Lots of fascinating stuff here!

musicman1979 said...

One Hawiian record that you have that came to my attention when people were asking for more Hawaiian music is the Grand Award Hawaiian LP that Buster sent you three years ago. It is better than most Hawiian music I have heard, plus, you could probably put in some unique ten cents worth about the front cover drawing. I know you're busy preparing for the Palace Easy Listening LP to make it's blog debut. This is just a suggestion in case you are looking for something unique to post on the site, as would be a collection of tunes from Bob Eberly during his Waldorf Music Hall/18 Top Hits days.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Well, there's a Frank Chacksfield LP coming first ("The First Hits of 1965"), and then the Palace LP--maybe. Or I might post the Whiteman Hawaiian LP. Buster (or Diane?) also sent me the 50th anniversary PW on Grand Award. I need to get to rippin'. Re Bob Eberly, I have a record club Eberly 45 rpm EP, simply titled "Bob Eberly."

musicman1979 said...

Looking forward to listening to the Frank Chacksfield album--the title is reminiscient of the Lawrence Welk Dot album "my First of 1965"; it was the third of a trilogy of albums that began with "1963's Early Hits" and "Early Hits of 1964". Have a great Easter weekend.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

musicman1979,

You, too!