Sunday, October 30, 2022

A 2023 horror story: TCM's October schedule (an essay, no music)

So, what good is there to say about TCM's 2022 Halloween lineup?  Well, not a great deal.  And, judging from the comments on this page, I'm not alone in my disappointment.

Instead of writing a long rant (oops--I did, anyway), I'll try to cut to the heart of what's primarily wrong with TCM's Halloween program: The choices are either fine Halloween material whose impact has been blunted because the films are on regular rotation (Baby Jane, Spider Baby, House on Haunted Hill, The Haunting), straight science fiction that doesn't cut it in the horror department (Forbidden Planet, Them!, 2001, Westworld, etc.).  (Out of that list, 2001 is the biggest mystery.)  And... films simply too poor for any outlet, let only TCM, to waste valuable airspace on: (It, The Swarm, The Hypnotic Eye, It Lives Again, Two on a Guillotine, Eye of the Devil).

Oh, and in regard to sci-fi/horror, there is no shortage of fine choices: The First Man Into Space, The Quatermass Xperiment, The Manster (for its camp value), Terror From the Year 2000 (ditto), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the original, please), Fiend Without a Face...

And there are the titles which are perfectly fine choices, but which I don't personally dig (and so it's just my problem): House of Dark Shadows (that pointlessly bloody big screen version of Dark Shadows which vastly altered the soap's Barnabas storyline), Don't Look Now (I prefer not to), Poltergeist (a movie which has barely anything to do with poltergeists), Exorcist II (Really??).

And there are iffy choices, such as Plan 9 From Outer Space.  Classic camp, and it has a tiny bit of Bela Lugosi footage, and it does involve a graveyard, but which really counts as prime sci-fi camp.  Hard to complain about any showing of this Z classic, but given TCM's vast and diverse library of films, it could have done way better in the so-bad-it's-good-or-just-delightfully-terrible department: The Brainiac, Assignment Terror, The Manster, any Al Adamson, Jerry Warren, or Larry Buchanan horror title (TCM must have that stuff on hand), or even Billy the Kid vs. DraculaPlan 9 is kind of a cliched choice in that regard.

And maybe that's the problem--TCM is hewing to cliche.  It's taking the safest path.  TCM has adopted the opposite of a daring strategy.  Result: A big missed opportunity.  I also wonder if the station/channel is trying to play to multiple age groups, which is a classic invitation to disaster.  I may be (and probably am) wrong, but suppose TCM, on one hand, is playing to horror fans of my generation--people who grew up watching Saturday afternoon and evening schlock horror hosts.  If so, then TCM has hardly served up a decent helping up Saturday-horror-host schlock (save for maybe Plan 9 and the Aztec Mummy title), but it has served up the kind of first-rate flicks beloved by that demographic, from the Boris Karloff Frankenstein (not a personal favorite, given how little it relates to the classic novel), The Invisible Man, Curse of the Demon (best horror movie of the 1950s, and for some unknown reason, not shown in TCM's master list!!), some fine Hammer flicks, and (if they didn't show it so often) the marvelous, "cult" Carnival of Souls.  Missing in action, for reasons I can't fathom, is the all-time classic horror anthology, Dead of Night (1945), without which I'm convinced The Twilight Zone would never have been.  As far as I know, Night did not originate the tradition of presenting horror in the context of the everyday (the chief secret of Twilight Zone and Outer Limits), but it's certainly the template for any and every horror gem of its type that followed.  (Remember that The Outer Limtis is classified, for good reason, as "gothic" sci-fi.)  No film has ever done a better job of presenting all-out horror within the confines of real life, and Curse/Night of the Demon wouldn't have happened without it.  By the way, I mentioned Carnival, that zero-budget masterpiece (all the more amazing for having been done on a shoestring), and it was only when I recently rewatched the mind-blowing final moments of Night that I notice how much Carnival's ending borrows from the earlier film.  This takes nothing away from Carnival--I mean, plenty of movies freely swipe from other works (think The Third Man and He Walked by Night, or The Terminator and The Outer Limits ep "Solider," written by Harlan Ellison).  Common practice in the big leagues, so no point in picking on a shot-for-nothing classic.

And... why no Mario Bava?  Seriously.  Not even Black Sabbath?  (Yes, the group copped its name from same.)  The Italian horror maestro Bava is revered by Martin Scorsese, among other famous directors, and his films are the favorites of my generation of spook film fans, so... what gives?

TCM's 2022 October schedule smacks of 1) playing it safe and 2) trying to please several audiences in a single swoop.  Which ultimately reads as indifference.  I mean, many thanks for the Val Lewton classics and some later Chris Lee Dracula flicks I hadn't seen (and which were surprisingly good), but I just have to ask TCM what it was thinking.  If 2022's October schedule was part of a strategy, and not simply lazy or poorly informed programming, I hope that TCM realizes the folly of its scheme and goes back to honoring Halloween come 2023.  Unless TCM simply can't take horror seriously, in which case, just go back to the usual ten Katherine Hepburn movies in a row.

So, that was the rant I promised not to write.  Now, if I can figure out how to make a YouTube playlist, I'll make one for my Halloween YT 78 rpm posts.  However, someone just noted that he'd tried to make a playlist but that YT is no longer allowing them (??).



Lee

4 comments:

Ernie said...

I'm sure it's tough for TCM to compete in this day and age of streaming. I bet you could find all those movies you wanted to see out there somewhere and you could program them yourself. How they can possibly compete against that, I have no idea. :( But I think a well-curated playlist will always find an audience, but it may take a while.

Dinosaur1972 said...

I think I read a recent article about TCM trying to cater to a larger (younger) audience. I agree that this year's lineup is disappointing, and I long for the old MonsterFest days on AMC 20 years ago. Luckily, Tubi carried a lot of Universal classics and a few Hammers. It might be hard to compete with streaming services these days.

tymime said...

Speaking as someone born in 1989- which I believe qualifies me as a young person- it's my opinion that TCM is dead. I actually grew up watching the channel, and it's sad to see the state it's in. It had been dying a slow death ever since Robert Osborne passed away, but the final nail in the coffin was when it retired the original logo.

It doesn't make any sense. The demographic they're catering to is unlikely to watch any movie from before 1980, and anybody who already likes them is sure to be put off by the inappropriate look and sound TCM has nowadays. It's all slick and modern now, with loud electronic music playing in between films. It puts you in a vastly different mood from the days when it was all retro, jazz music and all.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Dinosaur 1972,

But it seems to me that TCM, with its huge library of films, is competing with itself--it shouldn't matter what other services are offering in that regard. And it occurred to me after I wrote my essay that during the Elvira period, all the old "Chiller Theatre" titles were being shown, so such flicks should still be pretty current in people's minds across TCM's viewership. Oh, well...

tymime,

You're speaking for me! I couldn't possibly agree more. I mute the idiot noise in question--I can't stand it. More than anything else, the thump-a-dump noise in question is more like c.-1979 Disco than anything else, and what is hip about that? As for the younger demographic, I do believe there's kind of split there. That is, there are people who don't want to watch anything filmed in b&w, and there's no way TCM can remain TCM and cater to those folks. On the other hand, there are younger viewers who seem to like old-time media. So, I really think the young viewership runs in both directions in that regard. Which would make targeted programming even more difficult, which might explain TCM's total mess of a Halloween lineup. But, yeah... how to balance modern titles that are, in most instances, alien to the spirit of TCM with the classic Hollywood fare? And TCM is repeating itself more than ever when it comes to the old stuff--too much Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, Gene Kelly, Clark Gable in a row. Yesterday, it was Robert Ryan. I like Ryan, but why should I have to watch a Ryan-athon? I wish TCM would ditch its childish theme-oriented lineups, except for holidays. And I can't wait to see how they mess up Christmas.